Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499556 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1185 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:52 PM »
I saw Observe and Report last night: most sociopathic comedy in the history of ever.  That date rape is arguably not the primary character's worst offense says a lot about the film's sensibilities.  That said, I did laugh quite a few times.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: April 14, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »
I saw Observe and Report last night: most sociopathic comedy in the history of ever.  That date rape is arguably not the primary character's worst offense says a lot about the film's sensibilities.  That said, I did laugh quite a few times.

I laughed a LOT. It seems to be a love-it-or-hate it movie, but I liked it. And I'm not a huge fan of Jody Hill; Foot Fist Way was hit-and-miss for me, and the HBO series Eastbound & Down (both starred Danny McBride) I found quite unfunny.  I think he lucked out having Seth Rogen in the lead rather than the more-abrasive McBride.

That said, not exactly a movie to see after a day of being sick in bed, Gaz.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 08:15:53 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: April 14, 2009, 11:46:25 AM »
Saw Adventureland last night -- highly recommended (and it woulda been a better choice for you, Gaz, as it takes place in Pittsburgh in 1987).  Sweet and funny with a killer sndtk -- everything from "Bastards of Young" to Shannon's "Let the Music Play".

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: April 14, 2009, 04:44:38 PM »
I saw Synecdoche, New York yesterday. Still don't like Kaufman. Also saw Le jour de la jupe (Isabelle Adjani) and La Famille brasilenne. Rainy days in Toulouse...Good cinema.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: April 14, 2009, 09:01:13 PM »
I saw Synecdoche, New York yesterday. Still don't like Kaufman.

I've liked his past screenplays (Eternal Sunshine, Adaptation, Being John Malkovitch) but Synecdoche didn't work for me at all -- it's one of those willfully obscure movies (the cinematic equivalent of a Rush lyric!) that just made me want to scream. He lost me at the perpetually burning house.

Speaking of Malkovich, you need to see The Great Buck Howard; if it doesn't get distributed over there, put it in your Netflix queue.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: April 15, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »

It looks pretty funny, and I'm sure it will make me laugh, but I'm in no hurry to see it.  Feel-bad, creepy-mean comedy isn't all that appealing to me, The Cable Guy being a prime example.  I like to enjoy comedy and want to feel good doing it -- if I want to feel bad, I'll watch a drama.

I read an dumbass article yesterday the claimed this is the new trend in comedy (black comedy, no likeable characters), though it was the only example of the trend they could come up with (the HBO thing Mike mentions, too, but that's cheating as it's by the same guy).  One movie -- and one that probably isn't going to do that well at the box office -- does not a trend make.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: April 15, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »
I read an dumbass article yesterday the claimed this is the new trend in comedy (black comedy, no likeable characters), though it was the only example of the trend they could come up with (the HBO thing Mike mentions, too, but that's cheating as it's by the same guy).  One movie -- and one that probably isn't going to do that well at the box office -- does not a trend make.

I think Sideways from a few years ago falls into this category. There wasn't any character that I found likeable in that film.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: April 15, 2009, 10:14:33 AM »

I think Sideways from a few years ago falls into this category. There wasn't any character that I found likeable in that film.

but Sideways isn't nearly as black or violent as O&R. Or Pineapple Express, for that matter.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: April 15, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »

but Sideways isn't nearly as black or violent as O&R. Or Pineapple Express, for that matter.

I thought most of the portrayals in that film were pretty deplorable. How black does it need to be?
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: April 15, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »

I thought most of the portrayals in that film were pretty deplorable. How black does it need to be?

Hmm, you have a good point.  I guess I don't think of Sideways as strictly a comedy.  And while Giamatti's character starts out pathetic and despicable, he becomes less so (and more sympathetic) through his experiences.  So at least you hope he's becoming somebody you could like.

I don't think Pineapple Express is all that dark (or funny), though it is undeniably violent.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: April 20, 2009, 12:24:47 PM »
Especially for the princess... another shot of La Streep as Julia Child.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: April 20, 2009, 05:42:59 PM »
I've seen a few movies recently, and can recommend all of them for various reasons.

Duplicity is fun, and if you like Giamatti, he has his moments.  I am developing a huge man-crush on Clive Owen*, and Julia Roberts is better than she's been for years.  Plus the ending is neatly twisted.

Clive Owen rocks again in The International, a somewhat uneven film redeemed (imho) by excellent acting top to bottom, from Owen & Naomi Watts to Armin Mueller-Stahl, Ullrich Thomsen (who also has a small role in Duplicity) & Brian F. O'Byrne as the guy Owen spends most of the movie chasing.  But the main reason to see it is the shootout at the Guggenheim, which does for shooutouts what Bullitt did for car chases.

Monsters vs. Aliens is fun, and the 3D is great.  But not quite up to Pixar level.

I Love You Man was great for all the reasons Mike already posted, and may I just add that J.K. Simmons is the M. Emmitt Walsh of this generation.

State of Play was also really good, again the ensemble acting somewhat better that the film as a whole (although in her last couple scenes Helen Mirren kind of mails it in).  And I still want to see the Bill Nighy BBC miniseries.  However, like the Chron review, I think they whiffed on the ending.  I've been accused of spoilers before, so let me just say that I envisioned Robin Wright Penn's character being used differently at the end.  If anyone else sees this let me know, I'd really like to suggest an alternate ending.

*if you don't know much about Clive Owen, see the following Gosford Park (another great plot twist at the end), Children Of Men (a great plot twist 1/3 in!), Inside Man (sequel filming now with Spike & Denzel both on board!), Sin City (again with the sequel), and of course his Oscar nommed role in Closer.

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1197 on: April 20, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »
I've seen a few movies recently, and can recommend all of them for various reasons.

Duplicity is fun, and if you like Giamatti, he has his moments.  I am developing a huge man-crush on Clive Owen*, and Julia Roberts is better than she's been for years.  Plus the ending is neatly twisted.

Clive Owen rocks again in The International, a somewhat uneven film redeemed (imho) by excellent acting top to bottom, from Owen & Naomi Watts to Armin Mueller-Stahl, Ullrich Thomsen (who also has a small role in Duplicity) & Brian F. O'Byrne as the guy Owen spends most of the movie chasing.  But the main reason to see it is the shootout at the Guggenheim, which does for shooutouts what Bullitt did for car chases.

Monsters vs. Aliens is fun, and the 3D is great.  But not quite up to Pixar level.

I Love You Man was great for all the reasons Mike already posted, and may I just add that J.K. Simmons is the M. Emmitt Walsh of this generation.

State of Play was also really good, again the ensemble acting somewhat better that the film as a whole (although in her last couple scenes Helen Mirren kind of mails it in).  And I still want to see the Bill Nighy BBC miniseries.  However, like the Chron review, I think they whiffed on the ending.  I've been accused of spoilers before, so let me just say that I envisioned Robin Wright Penn's character being used differently at the end.  If anyone else sees this let me know, I'd really like to suggest an alternate ending.

*if you don't know much about Clive Owen, see the following Gosford Park (another great plot twist at the end), Children Of Men (a great plot twist 1/3 in!), Inside Man (sequel filming now with Spike & Denzel both on board!), Sin City (again with the sequel), and of course his Oscar nommed role in Closer.
for me, Clive Owen was killer in Second Sight, which we watched all episodes of.  I also liked his small part in the Bourne Identity.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: April 22, 2009, 04:00:06 PM »
Brad Pitt *IS* Billy Beane! Yes, Steven Soderburgh is making a film of Moneyball:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118002626.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: April 23, 2009, 09:10:39 AM »
Looking ahead to the start of the summer movie season, the buzz on Wolverine ain't great, but word on the street is that the Star Trek reboot is terrific -- better than anyone could've hoped.