Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499870 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1140 on: March 07, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »
M. LaSalle falling out of chair in review of Watchmen:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/05/BA5M16993S.DTL&type=movies

there's an emerging love-it-otr-hate it streak in the reviews.  I'm not a fanboy/geek (I've never read the com -- er, graphic novel) And i can't decide if I'n ready for another 2-hour-and-40-minute "dark" superhero thing.

I had never heard of Watchmen until a preview at the movie theater several months back, so I'm not all that worked up about it either.  May or may not see it after the opening week(s) hoopla calms down.

I'm not heavily into illustrated novels, but I've read Watchmen a few times and find it fascinating.  I'll see the film at some point, waiting for the theaters to shake out the fanboys and kiddies first.

I saw it today & it was bloody awesome.  If you were a fan of the graphic novel like I was, I can guarantee you will love it.  It sticks exceptionally closely to the original text, and brings it to full realization, even more so than, say, the Lord of the Rings movies.  If you've never read the graphic novel I would highly recommend taking a look at it before seeing the film, it will only add to your appreciation of the film's achievement.

And I was really surprised how maintstream the audience was when I saw it.  It was an IMAX presentation (also highly recommended if it's an option for you), about 75% full, and very few who were obviously fanboys.  Lot's of couples in fact.

:) ;) :D ;D >:(

my son Gabriel is sitting on my lap as I type this & he demanded that I put in a bunch of smileys.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 08, 2009, 10:37:05 AM »
Made it to see Milk yesterday. Saw a TV promo that it'll be out on DVD March 10 so I'm glad I got to the theatre. BTW, lovely small theater on Chestnut. I'm used to the humongo movie places down my way. There were 7 rows of seats here and probably no more that 75 capacity. I remember all that was going on at the time fairly well but didn't know anyone involved in the fight. I didn't know how many times Harvey tried running before getting elected. Sean Penn gave a great performance. I was so touched/affected by at least a half dozen scenes. It was hard knowing that he and Moscone were going to be killed. On my way home I headed down VanNess to 101 and driving past a beautifully illuminated City Hall was very touching. Made me reflect on the candle-lit procession of so many thousands of people after Harvey's death.

eta: I saw in the credits that Tom Ammiano played himself...I don't recall seeing him in the movie.

Both thumbs up.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:40:07 AM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 08, 2009, 08:43:27 PM »
eta: I saw in the credits that Tom Ammiano played himself...I don't recall seeing him in the movie.

He was arguing with someone about gay teachers' capacity to teach well.  It was a brief scene but a powerful one; Tom captured the feeling of righteous desperation with a single line.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 09, 2009, 12:36:43 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/05/BA5M16993S.DTL&type=movies

there's an emerging love-it-otr-hate it streak in the reviews.  I'm not a fanboy/geek (I've never read the com -- er, graphic novel) And i can't decide if I'n ready for another 2-hour-and-40-minute "dark" superhero thing.

I had never heard of Watchmen until a preview at the movie theater several months back, so I'm not all that worked up about it either.  May or may not see it after the opening week(s) hoopla calms down.

I'm not heavily into illustrated novels, but I've read Watchmen a few times and find it fascinating.  I'll see the film at some point, waiting for the theaters to shake out the fanboys and kiddies first.

I saw it today & it was bloody awesome. 

didya notice the amazing resemblance of jeffrey Dean Morgan to Javier Bardem?

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 09, 2009, 01:46:10 PM »

I saw it today & it was bloody awesome.  If you were a fan of the graphic novel like I was, I can guarantee you will love it.  It sticks exceptionally closely to the original text, and brings it to full realization, even more so than, say, the Lord of the Rings movies.  If you've never read the graphic novel I would highly recommend taking a look at it before seeing the film, it will only add to your appreciation of the film's achievement.

And I was really surprised how maintstream the audience was when I saw it.  It was an IMAX presentation (also highly recommended if it's an option for you), about 75% full, and very few who were obviously fanboys.  Lot's of couples in fact.

:) ;) :D ;D >:(

my son Gabriel is sitting on my lap as I type this & he demanded that I put in a bunch of smileys.

I also want to see this, but am waiting to finish the book first.  I bought it maybe 6 years ago from Al's Comics, when he use to be on Guerrero near 17th (he's since moved to Market near Valencia)  Figured I might as well get around to it now that the movie is out. 

I'm on Chapter V, and we're learning Rorshach's past...!  :)
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 09, 2009, 03:37:11 PM »

Actually I noticed that when I was watching an old episode of Weeds last night (JDM played the deceased husband of Mary Louise Parker is a couple of flashbacks, and in real life they were a couple for quite a while).  In Watchmen his character The Comedian is styled very much like Robert Downey Jr. (deliberately so imho), and many people have commented on that similarity from the bit in the trailer where he's wielding a flamethrower.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: March 09, 2009, 08:32:10 PM »

Actually I noticed that when I was watching an old episode of Weeds last night (JDM played the deceased husband of Mary Louise Parker is a couple of flashbacks, and in real life they were a couple for quite a while).  In Watchmen his character The Comedian is styled very much like Robert Downey Jr. (deliberately so imho), and many people have commented on that similarity from the bit in the trailer where he's wielding a flamethrower.

So, did Dr Manhattan's voice make you want to go out and apply for a MasterCard?

Budget of Watchmen: $120M

Opening Weekend gross: $55.7M

Having a humongous blue penis: Priceless.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 09, 2009, 09:26:40 PM »

Having a humongous blue penis: Priceless.
All I envision now is the blue man group running around naked. Everythings blue isn't it?  ;)
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 18, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »
Hearing some great stuff about I Love You, Man!, the new imitation-Apatow.  This EW rave is pretty amazing:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20266402,00.html

Love the quote: "Peter has no trouble relating to women, but to relate to men he must first figure out how to be one. And he does: by jamming with Sydney to songs by Rush (who they think is the best band in history—talk about masculine delusions!)"  ROTFL!

And Duplicity, the Clive Owen/Julia Roberts caper (from the guy who made Michael Clayton) is getting even better reviews.  Movies for grown-ups! What a concept!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 19, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »
The Visitor finally made it to Spain. I remain blown away. Richard Jenkins is a gem. The entire story was so over-the-top unbelievable, but I didn't care. The acting was so great, and it made me feel....feel....argh! Just rent it, already.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 19, 2009, 02:40:09 PM »
The Visitor finally made it to Spain. I remain blown away. Richard Jenkins is a gem. The entire story was so over-the-top unbelievable, but I didn't care. The acting was so great, and it made me feel....feel....argh! Just rent it, already.

We watched it recently and loved it too.  Highly recommended.  A very deserving Oscar nom.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 20, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »
Duplicity, the Clive Owen/Julia Roberts caper (from the guy who made Michael Clayton) is getting even better reviews.  Movies for grown-ups! What a concept!

Sometimes ya gotta wonder if Mick LaSalle sees the same movies as everyone else.  Duplicity is getting mostly raves; he's the only critic to slam it with an absolute pan:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/19/DDB116IULR.DTL&type=movies

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1152 on: March 20, 2009, 08:26:48 AM »
Duplicity, the Clive Owen/Julia Roberts caper (from the guy who made Michael Clayton) is getting even better reviews.  Movies for grown-ups! What a concept!

Sometimes ya gotta wonder if Mick LaSalle sees the same movies as everyone else.  Duplicity is getting mostly raves; he's the only critic to slam it with an absolute pan:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/03/19/DDB116IULR.DTL&type=movies
Maybe he hasn't actually seen the movie.  I haven't seen it, and from the preview clips, it looks pretty lame.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 20, 2009, 08:42:33 AM »

Maybe he hasn't actually seen the movie.  I haven't seen it, and from the preview clips, it looks pretty lame.

There was a Chronicle music critic years ago who submitted a review to the paper which was printed.  The review mentioned a piece that the orchestra NEVER PLAYED.. doh!  He got busted, of course.  CAtuionary tale for any reviewer who thinks they can get away with shortcut reviews.

I think Mick would never risk writing a review w/o seeing the movie.  He might've have dozed OFF in the movie, but I'm sure he went to a screening -- or watched a screener DVD.  I think he just has tastes that a lot of people don't agree with.  He might find about a certain actor, say Julia Roberts, to be intolerable. :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 10:02:10 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 20, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »
There was a Chronicle music critic year ago who submitted a review to the paper which was printed.  The review mentioned a piece that the orchestra NEVER PLAYED.. doh!  He got busted, of course.  CAtuionary tale for any reviewer who thinks they can get away with shortcut reviews.

there's a great old Peter Sellers movie (the name of which escapes me) in which he plays a theater critic who's having an affair. Instead of going to the play he's supposed to review, he meets his mistress; he writes the review ahead of time and slips it under his editor's door.  Meanwhile, the theater burns to the ground on opening night; the next day the story about the fire appears side-by-side with his review about what a boring night at the theater he'd had!