Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 500047 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #975 on: August 25, 2008, 11:18:02 AM »
[I will look forward to Wall-E on cable
Well, it is pretty high-rez animation dude!  We saw it in Kauai, and my memory is hazy due to the vacation induced dream state, but it seemed pretty good at the time!

Have I mentioned that I just bought a 46" hi-def tv?  Reduces the need to see more visual movies on the big screen...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #976 on: August 31, 2008, 09:26:57 PM »
I loved TT too.  The faux Downey/Maguire trailer was worth the ticket by itself.  And I don't want to be a spoiler, but at what point did you figure out the uncredited cameo?  I didn't have a clue until pretty far in.
we saw it tonight, and it was quite confusing.  It took me a while to figure out who was playing Les Grossman, even though I had heard about it on the Daily Show.  Are you referring to someone else?  We paid our money; don't leave us in suspense!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: September 02, 2008, 11:13:34 AM »
I loved TT too.  The faux Downey/Maguire trailer was worth the ticket by itself.  And I don't want to be a spoiler, but at what point did you figure out the uncredited cameo?  I didn't have a clue until pretty far in.
we saw it tonight, and it was quite confusing.  It took me a while to figure out who was playing Les Grossman, even though I had heard about it on the Daily Show.  Are you referring to someone else?  We paid our money; don't leave us in suspense!

Yes, that's what I was talking about.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: September 05, 2008, 10:47:17 PM »
My only movie of the year was I Am Legend, which was interesting but ultimately unsatisfying and anticlimactic.  They could have been a lot more imaginative (and given its 1:40 running time, it's not like they didn't have room to).
just watched it on DVD for the first time.  I remember my students saying last year how cool it was, but it doesn't seem like their kind of movie.  I'm not sure whose kind of movie it was.  Martha gave up on it after not too long.  I watched the whole thing, and found it quite dark and challenging.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: September 06, 2008, 09:15:04 AM »
but it doesn't seem like their kind of movie.  I'm not sure whose kind of movie it was. 

This is a great dig, even if you didn't mean it as such.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: September 06, 2008, 09:38:15 PM »
but it doesn't seem like their kind of movie.  I'm not sure whose kind of movie it was. 
I'm not sure how I felt about it.  It was a very emotional day yesterday, as I knew we were going to have to take our 16+ year old dog Lucy to the vet for euthanasia.  There is a very strong part in the movie for a dog, and a very emotional scene.  Recalling the movie today in the personal context of our dog was very hard.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 07, 2008, 12:41:28 AM »
I'm not sure how I felt about it.  It was a very emotional day yesterday, as I knew we were going to have to take our 16+ year old dog Lucy to the vet for euthanasia.  There is a very strong part in the movie for a dog, and a very emotional scene.  Recalling the movie today in the personal context of our dog was very hard.

Geoff, my deepest sympathy on the loss of your longtime companion and friend. We had to make that same difficult decision about our dog Charlie about a year and a half ago and it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

By no small coincidence, we just adopted a new dog, an English springer spaniel, from a shelter in Vancouver, WA last Monday. We named him Alistair, and he's a really sweet, smart pooch. (I'd lobbied hard for Farley, but it's too close to Charlie, poetically speaking.) I'm sure one day, in your own time, you'll be ready to take in a new friend too. I'm glad we did.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 12:51:39 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 07, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »
Geoff, I'm very sorry to hear this news about Lucy.  But I hope you're taking comfort in having made the right decision.

Meantime, this could have gone in a number of threads - it's the trailer for the new Michael Moore moving, Slacker Uprising, which will be available in its entirety as a free download upon release Sept. 23.

http://slackeruprising.com/
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 07, 2008, 11:52:10 AM »
Geoff, I'm very sorry to hear this news about Lucy.  But I hope you're taking comfort in having made the right decision.

Meantime, this could have gone in a number of threads - it's the trailer for the new Michael Moore moving, Slacker Uprising, which will be available in its entirety as a free download upon release Sept. 23.

Hope that gets through to the populace of Portland. Very high slacker factor here.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 07, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »

Hope that gets through to the populace of Portland. Very high slacker factor here.
Invite people over for a cheese tasting / movie showing?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 08, 2008, 09:39:47 AM »
Sorry to hear Geoff. Hope time heals the pain and only the good memories remain.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: September 12, 2008, 01:55:18 PM »
Do not pass go. 

Do not collect $200.

Go directly to Burn After Reading.  (unless you really don't get the Coen bros sense of humor; if you liked Raising Arizona &/or Big Lebowski, you will love this). 

If only because George Clooney gets to deliver the following line:

"It's a hundred bucks, all in.  Not counting my labor...and the price of the dildo."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: September 12, 2008, 08:58:34 PM »
Serious question: Are Clooney, Pitt, and Jolie actually talented actors, or do we collectively just love the beautiful people?  (FWIW, I find them vaguely attractive but am not attracted to any of the three.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: September 12, 2008, 09:17:16 PM »
Serious question: Are Clooney, Pitt, and Jolie actually talented actors, or do we collectively just love the beautiful people?  (FWIW, I find them vaguely attractive but am not attracted to any of the three.)

IMHO, Clooney is the most talented of the three (he can direct, too). I think he has the most range and depth, in an old-school movie star kinda way. Pitt and Jolie have talent but are, I think, a little too in love with celebrity. She was quite good as Daniel Pearl's wife, for example, but she makes a lot of high-paying crap like Wanted.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: September 16, 2008, 08:48:22 AM »
Do not pass go. 

Do not collect $200.

Go directly to Burn After Reading.  (unless you really don't get the Coen bros sense of humor; if you liked Raising Arizona &/or Big Lebowski, you will love this). 

If only because George Clooney gets to deliver the following line:

"It's a hundred bucks, all in.  Not counting my labor...and the price of the dildo."

Saw it last nite -- very VERY funny.  Malkovich especially, doing his specialty of funny/angry. "*I* have a drinking problem?? You're a Mormon -- compared to you we ALL have a drinking problem!"

and yes, the situation in which Clooney delivers that line brought down the house.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round