Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499757 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #855 on: March 18, 2008, 07:48:56 AM »
Since it came up again in the KFOG St. Pat's set: Will someone kindly explain to me what the hell "I drink your milkshake!" means?  I watched the clip on YouTube and didn't understand what was going on, and so the point (and now, humor) of this catchphrase is lost on me.

Thx,
Chef Gaz.

Sorry, you have to see the movie, bub. Pop-Cultural illiteracy is a blight on our, er, pop culture.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: March 18, 2008, 09:58:58 AM »
Since it came up again in the KFOG St. Pat's set: Will someone kindly explain to me what the hell "I drink your milkshake!" means?  I watched the clip on YouTube and didn't understand what was going on, and so the point (and now, humor) of this catchphrase is lost on me.

Thx,
Chef Gaz.

Sorry, you have to see the movie, bub. Pop-Cultural illiteracy is a blight on our, er, pop culture.

This post intentionally left blank?

PS: Sorry, but I'm not gonna get around tp seeing that movie.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: March 20, 2008, 12:48:25 PM »
"You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? Now GET OFF MY LAWN!"

It's speculation right now, but a just-announced Clint Eastwood film (in which he is to star) called Gran Torino is rumored to be another Dirty Harry flick!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36068

It's supposed to be released in Dec -- just a month after his film Changeling, a period mystery starring Angelina Jolie, hits theaters.  Guess this rules out the possibilty of Clint becoming McCain's running mate...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: March 21, 2008, 09:32:50 AM »
"You've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk? Now GET OFF MY LAWN!"

It's speculation right now, but a just-announced Clint Eastwood film (in which he is to star) called Gran Torino is rumored to be another Dirty Harry flick!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36068

It's supposed to be released in Dec -- just a month after his film Changeling, a period mystery starring Angelina Jolie, hits theaters.  Guess this rules out the possibilty of Clint becoming McCain's running mate...

**UPDATE** Now it looks like it's NOT a Dirty Harry thing. But what it could be sounds real interesting:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2008/03/best_torino_tal.php

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: March 22, 2008, 10:42:33 PM »
Weird twin bill for me tonight:  Blades of Glory (debut on HBO tonight) and Across The Universe (on demand, pay per view).

Really liked Blades.  Five or six laugh out loud (LOL) moments.  And many other amusing scenes.

Accross the Universe ... well, I didn't hate it.  It seriously needed some editing (I love you Eddie Izzard, but your scene should have ended up on the cutting room floor), but there was always a fine tune on the way.  I really liked a lot of the covers in the movie, and thought the cast was excellent.  There were more than several WTF moments, but such is the nature of the movie -- they reached for more than they could achieve.  Somewhere between 2 and 3 stars for me (out of 4).  Blades gets a solid 3.

Not only did we embarrass Marky Mark, we let down the Funky Bunch.

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: March 25, 2008, 04:09:18 PM »
has anyone seen any of these around town? I've seen the orig subway and bus posters for the film, but I haven't spotted any of the parody knockoffs yet:

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2008/03/bay_area_sarah.php

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: March 27, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »
this could've gone in the "rant/right wing" thread as well... you know about Lou Dobbs and his anti-immigrant rantings on CNN?  Well, FOX Searchlight has a trailer for their immigrant drama Under the Same Moon that references Dobbs -- and they've bought time during his show!  Hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3rRkCJbK0E

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 18, 2008, 04:52:02 PM »
Just saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

OMFG, LOL repeatedly.  One of these days the Judd Apatow gang is going to go to the well one time too many, but this is not it.  This is for 25-somethings what Knocked Up was for the 29-somethings.

Best line:

(Main char. Peter visiting his doctor after a 1-night-stand, imm. after his breakup with the titular character)

Peter (Jason Segal, who also wrote several of the musical numbers):  I used a condom, but you can't be too sure.  I think I got an STD.  Can you take a look?
Dr. Rosenbaum (Steven 'Det. Dietrich from Barney Miller' Landesberg):  You want me to look at your dick?
Peter (pulliing his sweats out from his waist): Yes.
Dr. Rosenbaum:  It's a beautiful dick Peter.
Peter: You barely looked at it!
Dr. Rosenbaum:  It's a beautiful dick Peter.  You should fuck anything that moves.  But wear a condom.

ETA: if you've ever watched That 70's Show, which gave us Topher Grace and Ashton 'Mr. Demi Moore/Punk'd' Kutcher, this is a breakouot role for Mila Kunis.  She was a recent immigrant from Ukraine who had only barely mastered English when she was cast to play Kelso's girlfriend Jackie (and who, alone among the cast, was actually a sophomore in HS when she played one 10 yrs ago...so she's still only 25 today). 

so...as soon as I can find a suitable image I think you can guess what my next avatar will be!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 05:01:30 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 18, 2008, 08:00:34 PM »

One of these days the Judd Apatow gang is going to go to the well one time too many, but this is not it. 

Guess you didn't see Drillbit Taylor  ;)

But as I've been on the fence about FSM (I didn't think much of the trailer), your rave means I'll probably see it this week. And their next biggie, Pineapple Express (coming this summer), is said to also be HIGH-larious -- pun intended; it's a stoner comedy with Seth Rogen.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 18, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
ETA: if you've ever watched That 70's Show, which gave us Topher Grace and Ashton 'Mr. Demi Moore/Punk'd' Kutcher, this is a breakouot role for Mila Kunis.  She was a recent immigrant from Ukraine who had only barely mastered English when she was cast to play Kelso's girlfriend Jackie (and who, alone among the cast, was actually a sophomore in HS when she played one 10 yrs ago...so she's still only 25 today).

Useless trivia: She also voices Meg Griffin on Family Guy.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 21, 2008, 11:57:53 AM »

One of these days the Judd Apatow gang is going to go to the well one time too many, but this is not it. 

Didn't know that was part of the Apatow extended family, but the trailer sure looked horrible.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 21, 2008, 08:45:28 PM »

But as I've been on the fence about FSM (I didn't think much of the trailer), your rave means I'll probably see it this week. And their next biggie, Pineapple Express (coming this summer), is said to also be HIGH-larious -- pun intended; it's a stoner comedy with Seth Rogen.

Just saw FSM. Very funny, tho' not (for me) as uproarious as 40-YOV, Knocked Up or Superbad.  "Dude -- you should not be putting your P in a V right now".

Also saw trailers for Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder, which both look hilarious, and What Happens in Vegas and My Best Friend's Girl, which look atrocious. As to that last one, Dane Cook + title-of-a-Cars-song = yeesh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 30, 2008, 07:56:37 AM »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 30, 2008, 08:28:57 AM »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 30, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
Nicole Kidman as Dusty Springfield?

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2008/04/dusty_trails.php

Better her than Miss Lady Bunny.

Not quite sure who Miss Lady Bunny is, but for a posting anomaly, right now Gaz is at 8808 and I'm at 9909.

--Carlos Santana, 2010