Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499802 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1785 on: April 06, 2011, 02:56:58 PM »
I don't see many trailers for comedies these days that actually make me want to see the movie, but this looks pretty funny to me. Damn, that Julianne Moore cheats in every movie lately!  Bonus: it's directed by the guys who did I Love You Phillip Morris, one of my favorite underseen flicks of the past year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCibwSV1ts

That didn't last long--the clip has been pulled due to Warner's copyright claim. So what movie were you referring to? You didn't mention the title.

Crazy Stupid Love. Steve Carrell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDLhjm-0rJQ
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: April 06, 2011, 03:41:39 PM »
I don't see many trailers for comedies these days that actually make me want to see the movie, but this looks pretty funny to me. Damn, that Julianne Moore cheats in every movie lately!  Bonus: it's directed by the guys who did I Love You Phillip Morris, one of my favorite underseen flicks of the past year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiCibwSV1ts

That didn't last long--the clip has been pulled due to Warner's copyright claim. So what movie were you referring to? You didn't mention the title.

Crazy Stupid Love. Steve Carrell, Julianne Moore, Ryan Gosling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDLhjm-0rJQ

That does look good.  Of course they give away a lot of the plot points during the clip (it appears), but since it's a RomCom I don't suppose there would much surprise anyway.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:43 AM »
Saw Source Code last nite -- really great, smart sci-fi (and a rare occasion where I agree with Mick laSalle 100%!). the plot is "Groundhog Day... with a bomb", essentially. Jake Gyllenhaal doing terrific acting (this could easily have been a Nic Cage-running-around-looking-crazy kinda thing) and Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright in supporting roles, fer chrissakes!  Directed by Duncan Jones (aka David Bowie's son Zowie), whose Moon was a fave of mine a couple of years ago. Highly recommended, sez me.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: April 07, 2011, 10:14:40 PM »
Saw Source Code last nite -- really great, smart sci-fi (and a rare occasion where I agree with Mick laSalle 100%!). the plot is "Groundhog Day... with a bomb", essentially. Jake Gyllenhaal doing terrific acting (this could easily have been a Nic Cage-running-around-looking-crazy kinda thing) and Vera Farmiga and Jeffrey Wright in supporting roles, fer chrissakes!  Directed by Duncan Jones (aka David Bowie's son Zowie), whose Moon was a fave of mine a couple of years ago. Highly recommended, sez me.

We just saw it tonight (before I read your post). Really good, well conceived and concisely presented. Completely agree with the Groundhog Day comparison, with one part Memento for good measure, and a little bit of Avatar, too. And every time I saw Jeffrey Wright, I couldn't shake the thought that he was doing a riff on Orson Welles. And yeah, Moon was great. Jones definitely has a thing about characters in isolation.
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: April 08, 2011, 11:42:55 AM »
Schwarzenegger to return to big screen in 'Last Stand'
MovieWeb.com and SlashFilm.com both report that The Ahnuld is in talks to headline The Last Stand, the English-language debut film for South Korean director Kim Ji-Woon (The Good, the Bad, the Weird).
This would mark Schwarzenegger's first live-action starring role since elected governor eight years ago. MW describes the film's plot as follows:
"The story will follow the exploits of a drug cartel leader who blasts his way out of a courtroom, steals a car, and heads towards the Mexican border. Arnold Schwarzenegger will play a sheriff with an inexperienced staff who becomes involved with trying to stop the cartel leader from entering Mexico after the two parties inadvertently cross paths."  Liam Neeson was originally going to play the sheriff before leaving the project earlier this year.
http://www.slashfilm.com/arnold-schwarzeneggers-return-film-kim-jiwoons-the-stand/

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: April 08, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
I finally saw Pretty In Pink last night. First time ever.  (I think Sunday and Radical's excitement over the OMD tour got me to put it in my netflix queue. -- TANC: Mike commented in OMD's If You Leave being played twice today, once on KFOG once on some 10at10. Well, of course the song features prominently in the movie.)

The young Jon Crier as Ducky is quite annoying at first, but realistic w all the hyperactivity and emotions, etc. Actually some heavy issues covered quite nicely in there.  Impressive.  I'm a born-again John Hughes fan! 

Did you know the orig script had Molly Ringwald's Andie and Ducky pairing off?  didn't test well, so they had John Hughes write a new ending and brought back everyone to shoot it.  By then, Andrew McCarthy had shaved his hair off for another role, so they stuck him in a bad wig.  HA!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:04:30 PM by Tinka Cat »
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: April 08, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »

The young Jon Crier as Ducky is quite annoying at first, but realistic w all the hyperactivity and emotions, etc. Actually some heavy issues covered quite nicely in there.  Impressive.  I'm a born-again John Hughes fan!  

Did you know the orig script had Molly Ringwald's Andie and Ducky pairing off?  

and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: April 19, 2011, 08:50:45 AM »
Remake update: They're doing a new version of They Live, John Carpenter's political/satrirical alien invasion flick (and one of my '80s faves). Matt Reeves (Cloverfield, Let me In) is directing. It's actually based on the orig short story that Carpenter based his script on.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 20, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »
Peter Dinklage, everybody's favorite go-to "little person" actor, will play Herve Villechaize in a forthcoming flick. Ya can't make this stuff up!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 24, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
Mentioned this on FB too, but TCM has been doing Easter & Jesus movies all day, and "JC Superstar" just started @ 5pm, and it'll be followed by "Godspell".

ETA: and Whinyface at her best!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 05:48:27 PM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:39 PM »
I finally saw Pretty In Pink last night. First time ever.  (I think Sunday and Radical's excitement over the OMD tour got me to put it in my netflix queue. -- TANC: Mike commented in OMD's If You Leave being played twice today, once on KFOG once on some 10at10. Well, of course the song features prominently in the movie.)

The young Jon Crier as Ducky is quite annoying at first, but realistic w all the hyperactivity and emotions, etc. Actually some heavy issues covered quite nicely in there.  Impressive.  I'm a born-again John Hughes fan! 

Did you know the orig script had Molly Ringwald's Andie and Ducky pairing off?  didn't test well, so they had John Hughes write a new ending and brought back everyone to shoot it.  By then, Andrew McCarthy had shaved his hair off for another role, so they stuck him in a bad wig.  HA!

OM(D)G!  Pretty In Pink is one of my top 10 fave movies of all time.  Maybe it was because I was a freshman in high school when it came out and I went to school with a bunch of rich kids who lived in mansions in Sea Cliff and Pac Heights (while I was living in a cramped apartment with my mom in Lower Nob).  These kids were f*cked up, for sure.  Oh, and I loved Annie Pott's record store clerk character...and the soundtrack!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:30 AM »
Mentioned this on FB too, but TCM has been doing Easter & Jesus movies all day, and "JC Superstar" just started @ 5pm, and it'll be followed by "Godspell".

So I gotta say that while JCS is not a great film -- the whole hippies-putting-on-a-show framing device seems a cop-out, the choreography is very dated in a leftover-from-Hair kinda way -- the music carries it, and Carl Anderson rules. Whinyface and Neely also very good.

But Godspell: sheesh.  I caught the last half, which was more than enuf.  The clown/mime motif, the painfully cutesy-sincere expressions on every. single. cast-member's face at every. single. moment (reaction shots have rarely been so painful)... sorry, talk about a product of its time. OK, some of the songs are nice.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:31 AM »
Peter Dinklage, everybody's favorite go-to "little person" actor, will play Herve Villechaize in a forthcoming flick. Ya can't make this stuff up!

I've been waiting awhile for this.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: April 25, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »

So I gotta say that while JCS is not a great film -- the whole hippies-putting-on-a-show framing device seems a cop-out, the choreography is very dated in a leftover-from-Hair kinda way -- the music carries it, and Carl Anderson rules. Whinyface and Neely also very good.

But Godspell: sheesh.  I caught the last half, which was more than enuf.  The clown/mime motif, the painfully cutesy-sincere expressions on every. single. cast-member's face at every. single. moment (reaction shots have rarely been so painful)... sorry, talk about a product of its time. OK, some of the songs are nice.

I've never seen "Godspell," and now I think I won't. Nothing compares, nothing compares to Jeeeeeeeeewison! OK, Webber, Rice, Anderson, Neeley and Caiphas helped out a bit, too. :)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: April 25, 2011, 01:40:04 PM »
Saw "Source Code" the other day...agreed with all the good reviews.  The only gripe I have is the last three or so minutes aren't necessary.  It would have been happy enough as is.  But, that's forgiveable.

I also saw "Super."  I caught the panel w/ Gunn & Wilson @ WonderCon and while they were extremely annoying and arrogant...the movie did look good.  It's not a work of art by any means but it was daaaaamn entertaining.

& now I'm curious about "Pretty in Pink" too!  It's probably my favorite soundtrack, but I have yet to see the movie...