Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499885 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1560 on: April 06, 2010, 08:33:37 PM »
Not quite sure how I feel about this: they're doing a remake of Arthur, the Dudley Moore/John Gielgud/Liza Minnelli classic.  Russell Brand is playing Arthur, and they're talking about giving Gielgud's butler a sex change and having Meryl Streep play the part!  Screenplay by one of Sacha Baron Cohen's collaborators and it's being directed by the guy behind the very funny sitcom Modern Family. Hrm.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: April 08, 2010, 09:49:37 AM »
Saw How to Train Your Dragon last nite and thought it was pretty wonderful. Nicely drawn, the 3-D was worth the surcharge (Metreon is getting 16 bucks now for regular, i.e., non-IMAX, 3-D) and it's def the most imaginitive 'toon from DreamWorks since the first Shrek.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: April 09, 2010, 10:45:08 AM »
Hot H'wood gossip has Robert Pattinson of Twilight fame being Courtney Love's top choice to play Kurt C in the biopic she's producing.  And to play her part, Courtney wants... Scarlett Jo.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: April 13, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »
Who, exactly, did Paul DePodesta piss off? In the Moneyball movie, Billy Beane is being played by Brad Pitt, but the handsome, slim DePodesta

Beane's former right-hand-man and now Dodgers GM is played by... Jonah Hill??

What. The. FUCK??

ETA: the part was originally supposed to be played (in the Steven Soderbergh version that went belly-up) by Demitri Martin.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 08:57:51 AM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: April 13, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
Who, exactly, did Paul DePodesta piss off? In the Moneyball movie, Billy Beane is being played by Brad Pitt, but the handsome, slim DePodesta

DePodesta was canned by the Dodgers a number of years ago. Ned Coletti (former Giants assistant GM) is now their GM.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: April 13, 2010, 10:21:29 AM »

DePodesta was canned by the Dodgers a number of years ago. Ned Coletti (former Giants assistant GM) is now their GM.

oops. He's still slim, tho'...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: April 16, 2010, 06:24:06 PM »
Wackyness Alert! It's Zucker/Abrams/Zucker nite on TCM: Naked Gun is just ending, Top Secret starts at 6:30 and it will be followed by Airplane! Good times.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: April 17, 2010, 08:40:47 PM »
Oh. My. GAWD this is too hilarious: a docu about Rush is playing at the Tribeca Film Fest; Hollywood-Elsewhere's curmudgeon-in-residence Jeff Wells posted a take-down on that blog and you've gotta read it (whether you hate Rush or love them) -- read the comments too.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2010/04/agonies_of_rush.php

Their music is shrill, excruciating, repellent, un-catchy, and about as un-melodically melodic as anything I've ever heard. They make you want to leave the room and run as fast and far as you can.

Lead singer and bassist Geddy Lee's high-pitched voice, especially, is the demon wail of an epileptic cat with cancer -- a banshee on helium. And Rush's lyrics strike me (and would strike anyone) as poetic sci-fi fantasy-visionary babbledygook glop-slop. Plus they've been into Ayn Rand and call/have called themselves Libertarians? Which means what...they have a soft spot for this or that aspect of conservatism on top of everything else?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: April 19, 2010, 08:21:07 PM »
Just came from seeing Kick-Ass -- really enjoyed it. Not for the squeamish... or Roger Ebert. Hit Girl RAWKS!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: April 19, 2010, 10:33:03 PM »
Oh. My. GAWD this is too hilarious: a docu about Rush is playing at the Tribeca Film Fest; Hollywood-Elsewhere's curmudgeon-in-residence Jeff Wells posted a take-down on that blog and you've gotta read it (whether you hate Rush or love them) -- read the comments too.

http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2010/04/agonies_of_rush.php

Their music is shrill, excruciating, repellent, un-catchy, and about as un-melodically melodic as anything I've ever heard. They make you want to leave the room and run as fast and far as you can.

Lead singer and bassist Geddy Lee's high-pitched voice, especially, is the demon wail of an epileptic cat with cancer -- a banshee on helium. And Rush's lyrics strike me (and would strike anyone) as poetic sci-fi fantasy-visionary babbledygook glop-slop. Plus they've been into Ayn Rand and call/have called themselves Libertarians? Which means what...they have a soft spot for this or that aspect of conservatism on top of everything else?

That is SO racist against Canadians!  Obama should legislate issue an executive order against this injustice!

If you're now a Rush fan, chances are you have been for a long time -- like 1981 or before --  and it you're not a Rush fan by now, you never will be.     I can live with that.  :)

" Geddy Lee's high-pitched voice ... is the demon wail of an epileptic cat with cancer."   -- now THAT'S writing Mark Morford would be proud to call his own!

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:12:27 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: April 23, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »
For those with Comcast digital (and other cable systems with On-Demand options): some of the films currently showing at the Tribeca Film Fest are available for $6.99 in your living room. And one of the films avaialble is that Ian Dury biopic discussed here recently, Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll. I am so there!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 14, 2010, 08:32:50 AM »
Last nite on cable I caught part of Romance & Cigarettes, the John Turturro-directed "musical" from a few years ago --  a blue-collar domestic dramedy in which the actors suddenly break into song: James Gandolfini covering Engelbert's "Lonely Is a Man Without Love"; Christopher Walken doing TJ's "Delilah", and so on.  Something of a disjointed mess, but enjoyable in fits and starts.

And this weekend (since the Sharks game is Sunday at noon and not Sat nite as I was expecting) I'll finally see the Ian Dury biopic.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: May 15, 2010, 07:25:48 PM »
Woody alert: TCM is showing the great What's Up, Tiger Lily? tonite at 11pm. Always worth watching -- and I've seen it many times.

"Meet me in the bedroom in five minutes... and bring a cattle prod."

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 18, 2010, 07:59:54 AM »
Woody alert: TCM is showing the great What's Up, Tiger Lily? tonite at 11pm. Always worth watching -- and I've seen it many times.

TANC: I just downloaded this film after a friend was talking about it on Sunday. Planning to watch it tonight.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: May 18, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »

TANC: I just downloaded this film after a friend was talking about it on Sunday. Planning to watch it tonight.

Hope you like!  "name 3 presidents..."