Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 500029 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1455 on: December 08, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »
Julien Temple will helm Kinks biopic. 

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2009/12/03/kinks-biopic/

Love to see it, but am not holding my breath until I actually see a release date. How long have we been hearing about a Janis biopic that has yet to materialize? That said, I'll have to give some thought as to who I'd cast in the roles of Ray and Dave were it up to me.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: December 08, 2009, 11:26:35 AM »
Julien Temple will helm Kinks biopic.  

http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2009/12/03/kinks-biopic/

Love to see it, but am not holding my breath until I actually see a release date. How long have we been hearing about a Janis biopic that has yet to materialize? That said, I'll have to give some thought as to who I'd cast in the roles of Ray and Dave were it up to me.

Nice that ray is collaborating; he's known Temple since Absolute Beginners 20 years ago.

Meanwhile, the Runaways biopic with Kristen (Twilight) Stewart as Joan Jett, will be playing at Sundance next month.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: December 14, 2009, 03:13:22 PM »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: December 14, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »
I know Mike will be pleased:

NY Film Ciritics give Best Pic to Hurt Locker

indeed -- and the LA crits did the same; it's rare when both groups agree on Best Film. Meanwhile Mo'Nique (Precious) and Cristophe Waltz (Ingorious Basterds) are winning just about every crit-group award for Supp Actress/Actor.

I think my prediction that Bigelow will be  the first woman to win the Best Director Oscar is looking good. And as one wag pointed out, if she and James Cameron are nominated, it will be the first time that exes have competed against each other in that category. LOL!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: December 14, 2009, 07:11:07 PM »
you'll note that elsewhere in that article they give some surprisingly good press to Avatar.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: December 15, 2009, 11:48:52 AM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: December 15, 2009, 01:41:54 PM »
And the SF Film Critics go for Hurt Locker and Bigelow too...

http://www.examiner.com/x-27041-SF-Indie-Movie-Examiner~y2009m12d15-Film-awards-season-The-San-Francisco-Film-Critics-Circle-Loves-The-Hurt

I liked Hurt Locker, but I wonder how real it would be for a bomb squad guy to act so autonomously without superiors coming down hard...?  IIRC, there wasn't too much from the CO.   It felt very real, like a documentary, and that had me in awe...  very powerful, but I'm not over there on the ground, so I don't know what it's truly like or how the chain of command really operates in war zone like Iraq.  The drama was engaging, the representation of how the armed forces operate... who knows?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: December 15, 2009, 01:52:45 PM »
And the SF Film Critics go for Hurt Locker and Bigelow too...

http://www.examiner.com/x-27041-SF-Indie-Movie-Examiner~y2009m12d15-Film-awards-season-The-San-Francisco-Film-Critics-Circle-Loves-The-Hurt

I liked Hurt Locker, but I wonder how real it would be for a bomb squad guy to act so autonomously without superiors coming down hard...?  IIRC, there wasn't too much from the CO.   It felt very real, like a documentary, and that had me in awe...  very powerful, but I'm not over there on the ground, so I don't know what it's truly like or how the chain of command really operates in war zone like Iraq.  The drama was engaging, the representation of how the armed forces operate... who knows?

you're not the first to say that; the answer is, I think, that they needed something a bit more... movie-ish to propel the plot.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1463 on: December 20, 2009, 11:07:30 PM »
I went to my local theater today to see Up In the Air, because I love George Clooney (when was the last time he made a bad movie? - by which you can assume that I believe Ocean's 12 to be vastly under-rated) and because I have long been infatuated with Vera Farmiga.  Unfortunately Up In the Air has an exclusive engagement in SF...

Just came from seeing Up In The Air and it's pretty terrific. Clooney's great of course, and Vera Farmiga (I'm also a big fan of hers) has never been this sexy/funny. Mark, if you have never seen a little indie called Down to the Bone from a few years ago -- rent it. It's the movie that got her noticed by Scorsese and others. She's amazing in it.  

Back to UITA, it's really well-written, very in tune with the zeitgeist, and I can't recommend it more highly.  Saw it at Century SF Centre, where it's playing on 3 screens -- 2 "regular" projection, and one "Extreme Digital", something new that Century is charging an extra 3 bucks for ($14 a ticket, as if it were 3-D or something).  The screen is larger (about 1/3 bigger than their regular screens) and I guess the image is supposd to be sharper. I saw this version because I had no choice, it was the next show at 5pm and I didn't want to hang around waiting for an hour, but... sorry, not worth the extra money IMHO.  
Just braved the crowds waiting to see Avatar, and the Grand Opening of the new Japanese Buffet/Grill at the Century 20 in Daly City, to see Up In The Air.  We really enjoyed it, but I'm not quite sure what to say about it.  Kind of like Lost in Translation I guess. I was wondering if Vera Farmiga was using a body double for the nude scene.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: December 21, 2009, 12:38:02 AM »

Just braved the crowds waiting to see Avatar, and the Grand Opening of the new Japanese Buffet/Grill at the Century 20 in Daly City, to see Up In The Air.  We really enjoyed it, but I'm not quite sure what to say about it.  Kind of like Lost in Translation I guess. I was wondering if Vera Farmiga was using a body double for the nude scene.

That's the one film that's currently out that I really want to see, but it's got an exclusive booking at a mall theater in SE Portland, so I'm holding out 'til it goes into wider release.

Saw a trailer last night for a film starring Jeff Bridges as a country-western singer, "Crazy (something)." Piqued my interest, and i believe T-Bone Burnett was involved with the soundtrack, which makes it all the more intriguing. Please don't let it be a turkey.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: December 21, 2009, 07:47:47 AM »

That's the one film that's currently out that I really want to see, but it's got an exclusive booking at a mall theater in SE Portland, so I'm holding out 'til it goes into wider release.

Saw a trailer last night for a film starring Jeff Bridges as a country-western singer, "Crazy (something)." Piqued my interest, and i believe T-Bone Burnett was involved with the soundtrack, which makes it all the more intriguing. Please don't let it be a turkey.

Crazy Heart is the Bridges flick -- it's getting excellent reviews, comparing it to Tender Mercies from 25 years ago.  Amazingly, it was made for Country Music Television and somebody at Fox Searchlight (or whoever the distributor is) saw it and said "this deserves a wider/better audience"

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: December 21, 2009, 09:46:59 AM »

Crazy Heart is the Bridges flick -- it's getting excellent reviews, comparing it to Tender Mercies from 25 years ago.  Amazingly, it was made for Country Music Television and somebody at Fox Searchlight (or whoever the distributor is) saw it and said "this deserves a wider/better audience"

Glad to hear it. Just in the scant few scenes in the ad I saw, Bridges' character struck me as channeling Kris Kristofferson. And I think that's a positive. I suspect this is a film I'll have to go into central Portland to see--I don't expect it will play the outlying 'burb multiplexes.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: December 25, 2009, 03:49:25 PM »
Looks like AMC and Spike TV have stolen a page from TBS's book:  AMC is showing Nat'l Lampoon's Xmas Vacay in a day-long marathon; Spike is doing the same with Bad Santa. Ho Ho Ho!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: December 26, 2009, 11:20:46 AM »
Mike's Holiday Movie Round-Up (Pt. 1)

Got to do some catching up the last couple days.

Invictus: Liked this one; kinda puzzled by some of the lukewarm reviews. Also surprised more hasn't been made of the Obama parallels.

A Single Man: Not to be confused with A Serious Man; Colin Firth as a closeted professor in 1962, dealing with grief issues. He's terrific, it's beautifully filmed.

Precious and The Blind Side: yeah, they go together.  Liked Precious more than I expected; I'd been reading a lot of negative things recently. I'd've never expected a performance like that out of Mo'Nique in a million years. A good small film that has suffered from the usual Sundance overhype syndrome.  Blind Side is, yes, Precious for Middle American white folks. Precious is the better film, but Bullock and McGraw are quite good. BS is more Hollywood and could use less of that; it makes a true story seem less "true" if that makes sense. And that little white kid is easily THE most annoying child actor I have ever seen.

It's Complicated:  It's... pleasant. I enjoyed it mainly for Alec Baldwin, who I worship, but I felt like the script coulda been a lot sharper.

More to come next week; when I saw Blind Side at Metreon last nite the lines for Avatar were endless.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: December 26, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »
Mike's Holiday Movie Round-Up (Pt. 1)

BS is more Hollywood and could use less of that; it makes a true story seem less "true" if that makes sense. And that little white kid is easily THE most annoying child actor I have ever seen.

It does make sense, that's why I tried to elaborate on it.  And I have to think that the one critic mistakenly assumed it was less faithful to the book than it was.  

I kinda agree about the child actor, but that's how he came across in the book also.  But THE most annoying ever?  Not even close in my book:

--Carlos Santana, 2010