Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 499922 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Movie Thread
« Reply #1320 on: August 02, 2009, 08:51:36 PM »
2 great flicks in one weekend! Just watched In the Loop on PPV (tho' it's also playing in theaters). It's a Brit satire about the run-up to an Iraq-like war. Very, VERY funny, tons of great lines. Mostly Brit actors I'd never seen before, but James Gandolfini plays a US general, and Steve Coogan has a small part. You really gotta see this one.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:01 AM »
2 great flicks in one weekend! Just watched In the Loop on PPV (tho' it's also playing in theaters). It's a Brit satire about the run-up to an Iraq-like war. Very, VERY funny, tons of great lines. Mostly Brit actors I'd never seen before, but James Gandolfini plays a US general, and Steve Coogan has a small part. You really gotta see this one.

sounds good, so what's the other movie you saw?
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 03, 2009, 08:22:33 AM »

see my previous post  ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 03, 2009, 08:35:49 AM »

see my previous post  ;)

oh, uh yeah.  Friday is part of the weekend.   :)  I read (at least one) review that really disliked 500 Days.  or maybe that was the Katherine Heigl movie, which looks awful.  no chance of me seeing that for sure.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 03, 2009, 08:43:08 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 05, 2009, 07:57:43 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 05, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »
The Castro is doing a week of music movies (Tommy, Woodstock etc) and tonite they're showing the not-often-seen Absolute Beginners, and Friday nite the delightful Get Crazy.  And that's all followed by a couple days of '50s 3-D!

http://www.castrotheatre.com/p-list.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 05, 2009, 02:47:42 PM »
Hooray! Disney has fired Ben "idiot boy" Lyons and Ben Mankiewicz as hosts of At The Movies! And they're being replaced by real, actual CRITICS! (A.O. Scott of the NYT and Michael Phillips of the ChiTrib.) There is a god!

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/08/chicago-tribunes-michael-phillips-ny-times-ao-scott-in-on-at-the-movies-ben-lyons-ben-mankiewicz-out.html?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 06, 2009, 09:05:27 AM »

But tonight I saw 500 Days of Summer and boy is it wonderful. Funny, charming, great sndtk (Best Hall & Oates musical interlude EVAH!) and again I say: if Zooey Deschanel doesn't play Linda Ronstadt in a movie, and soon, it will be the saddest missed opportunity in ages.  Knowing some of us as I do, I think the guys here will especially love it. Best flick in that genre since Garden State. See it ASAP.

Saw this yesterday, and loved it.  the Hall & Oates bit was awesome.  Who knew the kid from 3rd Rock would become such a good actor?  Ans I've been in love with Ms. Deschanel from first sight.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 07, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »
Critical quote of the Week: Peter Travers on GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra...

"I don't know what to say about the acting, writing and directing in 'G.I. Joe' because I couldn't find any."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 10, 2009, 09:10:18 AM »
Did the makers of GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra see Team America: World Police? Fuck YEAH!!!

http://blogs.amctv.com/future-of-classic/2009/08/g-i-joe-or-team-america-world-police.php

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 10, 2009, 12:36:03 PM »

Watched this Saturday, just hilarious.  Great lines abound, and wonderfully creative profanity too. 

I gotta say, I don't understand how my parents' limited reproductive ability reflects badly on me. I'm the sperm that made it!

Twelve thousand troops. But that's not enough. That's the amount that are going to die. And at the end of a war you need some soldiers left, really, or else it looks like you've lost
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 11, 2009, 07:51:30 AM »
Saw Julie & Julia last nite -- Streep has her next Oscar in the bag. Like most critics, I found the "Julia" portions a lot more interesting than the "Julie" parts.  And oh, that food.  "You can never have too much butter!"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 11, 2009, 10:34:17 AM »

Saw Julie & Julia last nite -- Streep has her next Oscar in the bag. Like most critics, I found the "Julia" portions a lot more interesting than the "Julie" parts.  And oh, that food.  "You can never have too much butter!"

Wife & I saw it last night too, as the kids are at the in-laws all week.  Great film, definitely an Oscar for Streep.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a Best Pic nom.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 11, 2009, 10:44:41 AM »

Wife & I saw it last night too, as the kids are at the in-laws all week.  Great film, definitely an Oscar for Streep.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it get a Best Pic nom.

well, with the 10-nominees thing, I suppose it's possible, but I don't think that, as a movie, it's in that league.  If J&J gets a Best Pic nom and Hurt Locker doesn't, there'll be hell to pay, I tells ya!