Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 536182 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #660 on: June 22, 2007, 09:25:26 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
The American Film Institute's top 100 films of all time.  I've seen more of them than you might think.  8)

does this mean you were watching the CBS special last night too?

I did a quick count, I think I own 34 of those titles, and have seen more than 2/3 of them.

Only counting the ones I'm absolutely positive I've seen, I've seen 85 percent.  Some of the silent movies I've probably seen, but one Chaplin flick seems like another to me.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #661 on: June 22, 2007, 09:43:33 AM »
i saw "half nelson" this week. quite good! also saw "delirious" with buscemi about a month ago. it was entertaining. that boy in the film (who was also in "hedwig") was in town last night with his band, but i forgot all about it until now.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #662 on: June 22, 2007, 09:44:47 AM »
The American Film Institute's top 100 films of all time.  I've seen more of them than you might think.  8)

I did a quick count, I think I own 34 of those titles, and have seen more than 2/3 of them.

Didn't see the special - saw a story at CNN.com.  Rod, your 85 count is gonna be tough to beat.  I've seen between 25 and 29 of them -- there are a few that I think I saw but don't really remember.  And I own a whopping 1 of them.  (Guess which one for two Pride Points.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #663 on: June 22, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »

Didn't see the special - saw a story at CNN.com.  Rod, your 85 count is gonna be tough to beat.  I've seen between 25 and 29 of them -- there are a few that I think I saw but don't really remember.  And I own a whopping 1 of them.  (Guess which one for two Pride Points.)

Part of the reason I've seen so many is, well, because I'm old.  And the last time the list came out, I made a point of seeing some more of them.  Plus, "free" movies on Demand -- I saw "In the Heat of the Night" about a month ago for the first time (highly recommended).

I'd guess, uh, Cabaret, but fear I'd be guilty of stereotyping...  :wink:
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #664 on: June 22, 2007, 11:16:30 AM »

Reading this last night inspired me to run down the list and see how many I'd seen. I'm right about on pace with Mark for the number seen (69 that I'm certain of) but I don't own anywhere near that many--about 5, I think.

And yeah, Rod left us all in the dust with his 85 percent tally. Although I'd be surprised if Mike didn't come close to that, if not exceed it.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #665 on: June 22, 2007, 11:34:15 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Reading this last night inspired me to run down the list and see how many I'd seen. I'm right about on pace with Mark for the number seen (69 that I'm certain of) but I don't own anywhere near that many--about 5, I think.

And yeah, Rod left us all in the dust with his 85 percent tally. Although I'd be surprised if Mike didn't come close to that, if not exceed it.

Yeah, curious to see what Mike cops to.

I aspire to own all of them, and I undoubtedly will someday.  I want to watch them all with my kids when they're at the appropriate ages for the content.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #666 on: June 23, 2007, 11:42:53 PM »
I have seen about 44. Some too long ago to really recall well.

Did see two new ones. Last weekend got to a viewing of Ratatouille. Kids loved it. It was far better than KU which I saw today. I expected so much more. Not that I want to complain about sex and profanity, but I hoped for a better movie.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Ocean's 13
« Reply #667 on: June 24, 2007, 07:02:16 AM »
we saw this film yesterday, from the 3rd row, and except for being too close to the screen, it was pretty good.  It's like seeing a Star Trek movie, in that you have to suspend belief, and not worry about the ridiculous things they pull off.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #668 on: July 01, 2007, 10:48:19 AM »
Liked Evan Almighty. Steve Carell was funny and I adore Morgan Freeman. Not sure I've ever seen MF perform anything less than stellar.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #669 on: July 07, 2007, 11:41:56 AM »
The folks at "The Poop" (sfgate's babies-and-parents blog) have read my mind:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/parenting/detail?blogid=29&entry_id=18307#comments

I saw the poster for the Chipmunks movie for the first time the other day, when I went to see Ratatouille (which is great, BTW) and I thought: (a) holy crap, this looks horrendous; (b) why are the chipmunks dressed like li'l gangstas?; and (c) Jason Lee as David Seville? isn't he also in the Underdog movie? JEEZ!

"Christmas don't be laaaate...."
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #670 on: July 08, 2007, 06:29:45 PM »
I watched Lyrics and Music the other night.  Enjoyable as heck -- catchy tunes, nice light satire (of both the 80's pop scene and the current state of affairs), and a fine chemistry between Hugh and Drew.  My favorite line in the movie:

"I'll show you the roof.  It's upstairs!"

Haley Bennet is hella cute -- perfect as the Britney/Shakira clone.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #671 on: July 14, 2007, 10:33:57 PM »
A clip from the upcoming Dylan biopic. Cate Blanchett (yes, you read that right) plays Dylan.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33320

At least in the scope of this short clip, she's remarkably credible.
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #672 on: July 15, 2007, 04:10:18 AM »
A clip from the upcoming Dylan biopic. Cate Blanchett (yes, you read that right) plays Dylan.

strange. but i've been waiting for it...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #673 on: July 15, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

strange. but i've been waiting for it...

Dylan is played by 6 or 7 different actors in the course of the film, Blanchett is one of them.  Kinda like that flop John Lennon stage show a few years ago.  It's directed by Todd Haynes, so I'm interested, but I can't help but think it's gonna either be great or unbearably bad.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #674 on: July 15, 2007, 09:35:45 PM »
Tonite I caught up with Idiocracy. This is the comedy, made several years ago by Mike Judge of Office Space, Beavis & Butthead and King of the Hill fame. FOX didn't know what to do with it; it got a very limited release but never played in SF.  It's a satire about the dumbing-down of American culture.  Luke Wilson plays a not-very-bright guy who is recruited for an Army cryogenics experiment; he wakes up 500 years later to find that mankind has become so stupid that he's literally the smartest man in the world.  Quite funny, and boy does it totally NAIL American stupidity.  Check it out!