Author Topic: The Movie Thread  (Read 514076 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2006, 11:25:56 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "mshray"
POC, are you predicting or saying your preferences?

those are my preferences. i would have selected reese over dame judi, but she's too young for my demographic.

Reese is older than Scarlett, does that mean....?

her road to becoming a dame will be a bit longer.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #271 on: February 17, 2006, 07:35:03 PM »
Have y'all seen those commercials for UltraViolet?  Didn't they already make that movie and call it Aeon Flux?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #272 on: March 02, 2006, 08:07:42 AM »
Saw a pretty amazing film last nite. CSA: Confederate States of America, a "mockumentary", sort of a parody of Ken Burns-style docus. The premise is that the South won the Civil War, and we get the history of the country from then to now.  Made by a black university professor, it'd be even better if he'd had a bigger budget, but quite astounding even so. Complete with fake commercials for stuff like "electronic slave shackles" and Confederate Insurance.  Worth checking out; it's at the Roxie but will be on pay-per-view very soon as part of Comcast's new deal with IFC films.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #273 on: March 02, 2006, 08:59:57 AM »
Now, I barely remember the Oscar-nominated song from Crash, but here's the woman who wrote/performs it:

her name's Kathleen "Bird" York and she's also an actress, most recently on West Wing. She also played Naomi Judd (!) in a TV movie a decade ago.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #274 on: March 02, 2006, 09:00:38 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Have y'all seen those commercials for UltraViolet?  Didn't they already make that movie and call it Aeon Flux?

Hot Babe in Black Leather II

Apropos, really, as the central theme in Aeon Flux was cloning.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #275 on: March 04, 2006, 12:13:46 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Hot Babe in Black Leather II

Apropos, really, as the central theme in Aeon Flux was cloning.

From Peter Hartlaub's review in today's Chron:

"Ultraviolet is a movie to be enjoyed only by science fiction movie completists and middle school boys with extreme cases of Attention Deficit Disorder.

The plotline accomplishes the difficult task of being both complicated and repetitive. Leather-clad Violet (Jovovich, wearing Cher's haircut from the 1965 "Baby Don't Go" tour) is an apparently indestructible soldier engaging in a futuristic battle between humans and her vampire-like race of superpeople called Hemophages. The human bad guys are led by the evil Daxus (Nick Chinlund), who for some unexplained reason has tiny salt shakers shoved up his nostrils for the entire movie.

Violet must defend a mysterious boy named Six from Daxus' minions, most of whom are dressed like they know how to kick butt, then stand like idiots and let themselves get decapitated. Except this is a PG-13 movie, so you don't really see any bloody heads roll, except from blurry far-away angles.

Ultraviolet must have cost a few bucks. The amount of special effects in this film makes The Fifth Element look like Grizzly Man by comparison. In addition, writer and director Kurt Wimmer appears to have gone to the expense of building a time machine, so he could go back to 1985 and get a young Wil Wheaton to play Six. (The makers of Ultraviolet credit an actor named Cameron Bright, but judging solely by looks, I'm sticking to my theory.)

The drama ends, confusingly, with a flaming sword battle that takes place partially in the dark, and appears to have equal influences from Highlander and that annual Yule Log that appears every Christmas on KICU-Action 36.

The Yule Log was way more entertaining."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #276 on: March 05, 2006, 06:34:13 PM »
"Dame Judi Dench took my eye out in a bar fight!"

(best Oscar line of the night, so far)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #277 on: March 05, 2006, 06:58:21 PM »
What's up with this whole "DVDs Are Bad You Must Go To The Cinema If You Want Our Great Product" reiteration that's harshing my vibe?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #278 on: March 05, 2006, 07:05:23 PM »
I wish it had never been called to my attention that Lily Tomlin looks like Ace Frehley.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #279 on: March 05, 2006, 07:26:20 PM »
*SHRIEK*

DOLLY DENIED!!!

No rag on Three 6 Mafia, but how I would have loved to see Dolly on that stage.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #280 on: March 05, 2006, 07:31:05 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
*SHRIEK*

DOLLY DENIED!!!

No rag on Three 6 Mafia, but how I would have loved to see Dolly on that stage.

Oh, I'll be happy to (doo-)rag on Three 6 Mafia -- one of the more preposterous Best Song nominees in history, IMHO. Credit to ABC, tho', for not censoring "a whole lotta bitches talkin' shit".

Dolly looked fab anyway.

SHHH! it's the "In Memoriam" montage... who'll win this year's Applause-O-Meter?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #281 on: March 05, 2006, 08:04:45 PM »
Credit to ABC, tho', for not censoring "a whole lotta bitches talkin' shit".

That's because they actually sang the line as "a whole lotta witches jumpin' ship."

So Pryor won the posthumous applause award; I thought it was gonna be Shelley Winters.  Bizarrely, runner-up was that guy with the droopy eyes.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #282 on: March 05, 2006, 08:09:38 PM »
Credit to ABC, tho', for not censoring "a whole lotta bitches talkin' shit".

That's because they actually sang the line as "a whole lotta witches jumpin' ship."

I thought I heard both versions on alternating verses, but I had read earlier this week that ABC had given them permission to do it uncensored.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #283 on: March 05, 2006, 08:13:09 PM »
What's up with this whole "DVDs Are Bad You Must Go To The Cinema If You Want Our Great Product" reiteration that's harshing my vibe?

It's their one night of the year to flog Hollywood -- and movies ARE meant to be seen on a big screen. So I'm not surprised.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Movie Thread
« Reply #284 on: March 05, 2006, 08:25:11 PM »
Oscar spreads the love - Crash wins Best Picture, Ang Lee wins Best Director.

comments to follow
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010