Author Topic: Not Cool, Not Funny Stuff on the Internet  (Read 44659 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Not Cool, Not Funny Stuff on the Internet
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2012, 04:45:43 PM »
Is there a Kids These Days thread?

http://itmustberealitmustbetrue.tumblr.com/post/17537703738

I'm surprised there were no tweet included that said "That old Beatle guy farted!"

b/c the broadcast did feature two distinct "farty" noises during his perf. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjgeXsrF2xE
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
someone on FB who shall remain nameless was just ECSTATIC about this; my reaction is more like "aren't people sick of this damn woman yet??"

http://www.billboard.com/news/adele-ulation-makes-history-with-hot-100-1006266352.story#/news/adele-ulation-makes-history-with-hot-100-1006266352.story
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 13, 2012, 12:54:21 PM »
This is the damndedst thing: The URL for our old fave the Top 40 Database (the song-lyrics sorted by year site) is this:

http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/top40/index.html

and it works fine on my home PC but I cannot get it to come up on my work computer -- I get the Windows, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message.  Weird, 'cause when my employer blocks certain sites we get a specific message fom IT telling us so. So why would this be happening only at work? Anyone else not able to pull up that site?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2012, 08:40:01 AM »
Well, sorta funny (since there's a happy ending) but still: Gay son is too busy during Pride Week to call home -- that's NEWS?

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/S-F-man-reported-missing-found-safe-3663621.php

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »
This is the damndedst thing: The URL for our old fave the Top 40 Database (the song-lyrics sorted by year site) is this:

and it works fine on my home PC but I cannot get it to come up on my work computer -- I get the Windows, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message.  Weird, 'cause when my employer blocks certain sites we get a specific message fom IT telling us so. So why would this be happening only at work? Anyone else not able to pull up that site?

I just tried to hit this page and got essentially the same result that mike describes above (except I'm using FF 13.0.1).  Anyone else able to access it? Hate to think it's gone--it's one of the most useful chart sites I know of.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »

I just tried to hit this page and got essentially the same result that mike describes above (except I'm using FF 13.0.1).  Anyone else able to access it? Hate to think it's gone--it's one of the most useful chart sites I know of.

Interesting site.  I can access it with FF and Chrome.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »

I'm able to access it again via my work PC, so who knows WTF was going on.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »

I'm able to access it again via my work PC, so who knows WTF was going on.

Just checked it again and it's working fine for me now, so who knows? Maybe they shut down for maintenance periodically? Anyway, call off the hounds. All is well in Brazil.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2014, 02:45:38 PM »
Didn't know where else to put this. Television Without Pity. the TV message board that our old friend Beej was quite fond of at one time, is shutting down...

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/nbcuniversal-shuts-down-dailycandy-television-without-pity-websites-1201148723/#

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »
Didn't know where else to put this. Television Without Pity. the TV message board that our old friend Beej was quite fond of at one time, is shutting down...

http://variety.com/2014/digital/news/nbcuniversal-shuts-down-dailycandy-television-without-pity-websites-1201148723/#

A pretty direct line could be drawn from DailyCandy to Gawker, Buzzfeed, and all those other clickbait sites that seem to be a dime a dozen these days.

Such is life on the intarweb.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2014, 11:40:34 AM »
Pet Peeve of the Week: as if watching the Weather Channel on TV isn't painful enuf, their website is truly hideous, chockablock with sensational headlines (Landslide Horror! Deadly Outbreak! etc) and of course tons of clickbait "listicles". I go there to find out what the temperature is and I immediately want to take a shower.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 30, 2014, 03:02:25 PM »
Pet Peeve of the Week: as if watching the Weather Channel on TV isn't painful enuf, their website is truly hideous, chockablock with sensational headlines (Landslide Horror! Deadly Outbreak! etc) and of course tons of clickbait "listicles". I go there to find out what the temperature is and I immediately want to take a shower.

If you type in [name of city] weather into Google, you get a basic weather report at the top of the listings, which is usually good enough for me.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2014, 12:40:19 PM »

Weather Channel proper has gone off the rails as far as I'm concerned, so not surprised that their website is more of the same. The numerous TLC-style tabloid shows drive me nuts; I just want to see the weather.  Of course the only time people would tune in for more than a couple minutes is during hurricane season or when there's a blizzard on the east coast.

I use Weather Underground for my weather needs (wunderground.com) and have no complaints. Their app rocks it, too.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2014, 01:49:40 PM »

Weather Channel proper has gone off the rails as far as I'm concerned, so not surprised that their website is more of the same. The numerous TLC-style tabloid shows drive me nuts; I just want to see the weather.  Of course the only time people would tune in for more than a couple minutes is during hurricane season or when there's a blizzard on the east coast.

I use Weather Underground for my weather needs (wunderground.com) and have no complaints. Their app rocks it, too.

at this moment, three different weather sites:

WeatherChannel - SF 65 degrees
AccuWeather -  SF 71 degrees
WeatherUndergound - SF 73 degrees.

Given that it's been overcast all day, I'm guessing it's towards the lower end of that spectrum

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2014, 09:58:06 PM »

at this moment, three different weather sites:

WeatherChannel - SF 65 degrees
AccuWeather -  SF 71 degrees
WeatherUndergound - SF 73 degrees.

Given that it's been overcast all day, I'm guessing it's towards the lower end of that spectrum

SF's microclimates can produce wild swings in current temps at any given time.  I know wunderground has weather stations all over the city - they prob got a reading from the Mission, while weather channel is out at SFO .. or something. 
~CPL593H~