Author Topic: Copyedit 101  (Read 80431 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Copyedit 101
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 09:44:52 AM »
When did "outlier" become a word, much less a popular one?  I'd never heard it before coming to work at Kaiser a year ago (it's quite popular here) and now I see it everywhere.

Well, you're ahead of the curve on this one. I can't recall having run across it, and I'm even having trouble imagining how it would be used--a noun for "one who outlies"?

Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 09:46:09 AM »
When did "outlier" become a word, much less a popular one?  I'd never heard it before coming to work at Kaiser a year ago (it's quite popular here) and now I see it everywhere.

it's been a standard term in statistical analysis for a very long time, but only recently seems to have entered the vernacular canon.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »

Well, you're ahead of the curve on this one. I can't recall having run across it, and I'm even having trouble imagining how it would be used--a noun for "one who outlies"?

No it's used to refer to a data point that lies distinctly outside the nice curve or line produced by all the rest of your data points.

In everyday terms, this is why talking about average instead of median is often useless.  For example, if Larry Ellison built a $25 million dollar house on your block, then the average home price on your block would about double, but this hypothetical home is such an outlier, that it doesn't really tell you anything about the value of the other homes on your block.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 10:11:18 AM »

an excellent explanation.  I saw the word in a NY Times story today about the Democrats recently elected in staunchly GOP districts, and how they're way more conservative than most Dems.
No it's used to refer to a data point that lies distinctly outside the nice curve or line produced by all the rest of your data points.

In everyday terms, this is why talking about average instead of median is often useless.  For example, if Larry Ellison built a $25 million dollar house on your block, then the average home price on your block would about double, but this hypothetical home is such an outlier, that it doesn't really tell you anything about the value of the other homes on your block.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 04:36:15 PM »

an excellent explanation.  I saw the word in a NY Times story today about the Democrats recently elected in staunchly GOP districts, and how they're way more conservative than most Dems.

The term "outlier" is about to hit the mainstream even harder.  At the conference I attended in SD last week, Malcolm Gladwell (The Tipping Point, Blink) was the keynote speaker.  His talk was most interesting, and he mentioned that some of it was from his upcoming book to be titled...you guessed it...Outliers.  Since this was a training conference he focused his remarks on development, and his main point was that some people develop right away (Picassos) and some over a long time (Cezannes).  And as an illustration he gave a 5 minute recitation on the history of Fleetwood Mac that was amazingly detailed and humorous, including all personnel changes and why, and how their greatest success, Rumours, was their 16th(!) LP.  He then contrasted with the Eagles Hotel California, also widely acknowledged as one of the top albums of all time, and how the Eagles had big hits starting from their first album, put out a greatest hits album after only 4 years, and produced their masterpiece in their 5th year of existence.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 08:21:03 PM »

The term "outlier" is about to hit the mainstream even harder.  At the conference I attended in SD last week, Malcolm Gladwell (The Tipping Point, Blink) was the keynote speaker.  His talk was most interesting, and he mentioned that some of it was from his upcoming book to be titled...you guessed it...Outliers.  Since this was a training conference he focused his remarks on development, and his main point was that some people develop right away (Picassos) and some over a long time (Cezannes).  And as an illustration he gave a 5 minute recitation on the history of Fleetwood Mac that was amazingly detailed and humorous, including all personnel changes and why, and how their greatest success, Rumours, was their 16th(!) LP.  He then contrasted with the Eagles Hotel California, also widely acknowledged as one of the top albums of all time, and how the Eagles had big hits starting from their first album, put out a greatest hits album after only 4 years, and produced their masterpiece in their 5th year of existence.
I notice how the term 'masterpiece' is used for the Eagles, whereas the term 'greatest success' is used for Fleetwood Mac.  I would posit that FM's 3rd LP "Then Play On" was a masterpiece indeed, more so than "Hotel California."  But I don't expect others to concur!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2008, 03:16:01 PM »

I notice how the term 'masterpiece' is used for the Eagles, whereas the term 'greatest success' is used for Fleetwood Mac. 

That's just me trying not to sound redundant in my word choices, not a quote of Gladwell making a distinction.  But I agree that Then Play On is a great record & these days I'd certainly rather listen to it than to Hotel California.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2008, 04:06:43 PM »

I notice how the term 'masterpiece' is used for the Eagles, whereas the term 'greatest success' is used for Fleetwood Mac. 
That's just me trying not to sound redundant in my word choices, not a quote of Gladwell making a distinction.  But I agree that Then Play On is a great record & these days I'd certainly rather listen to it than to Hotel California.
sorry to quibble.  You just kind of wandered into my wheelhouse with that comparison! ;D
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 09:51:16 AM »
For Word Nerds:

http://lifehacker.com/395368/best-online-language-tools-for-word-nerds

There are just as many great references in the comments as in the main article.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
More perils in the world of copyediting than you ever knew:

http://gawker.com/5035522/masturbation-at-new-york-times-alleged-by-super+friendly-copy-editor

(Be sure to read the comments, some of which are L-O-L hilarious.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2008, 10:23:34 AM »
More perils in the world of copyediting than you ever knew:

http://gawker.com/5035522/masturbation-at-new-york-times-alleged-by-super+friendly-copy-editor

(Be sure to read the comments, some of which are L-O-L hilarious.)

"Sadly, Brokeback Cubicle will never be a bestseller."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2008, 12:01:35 PM »
Yesterday's Merc had the following headline on a 2-inch column:

MGM denies reports that movie studio not for sale

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios says it is "not for sale" following a report in Business-Week...

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2008, 05:32:14 PM »

Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios says it is "not for sale" following a report in Business-Week...

uh oh, i don't think I'm seeing what's up w this one.   I know headlines take shortcuts, but what's missing here?  the word "is?"

I wouldl've written it in Variety speak: MGM: 'We're not for sale!'  (or is that even more wronger?)
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2008, 05:53:47 PM »

uh oh, i don't think I'm seeing what's up w this one.   I know headlines take shortcuts, but what's missing here?  the word "is?"

I wouldl've written it in Variety speak: MGM: 'We're not for sale!'  (or is that even more wronger?)

I think the issue here is that the headline and the first line of the story are at odds with each other.  In the headline, they deny they are not for sale, but in the first line they claim they are not for sale.

Tricksy double negatives.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2008, 10:47:57 PM »

I think the issue here is that the headline and the first line of the story are at odds with each other.  In the headline, they deny they are not for sale, but in the first line they claim they are not for sale.

Tricksy double negatives.
ah yeah...thanks!

heh, that would be it.  they should've thrown a third negative in there to bring back around to the positive side of things... 
~CPL593H~