Author Topic: 8 Dec 2006: All-Lennon Set  (Read 5448 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
8 Dec 2006: All-Lennon Set
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 10:44:08 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Crap. An inconveniently timed impromptu staff meeting took place around my cube about halfway thru Happy Xmas, so I missed the end of that and the backsell (I assume that was tune #10?). Did the 10-way tie actually happen? I have to catch the replay tonight, no fail.

Can yot tape? Would be a nice holday gift to burn!
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2006, 10:54:07 AM »
Crap. An inconveniently timed impromptu staff meeting took place around my cube about halfway thru Happy Xmas, so I missed the end of that and the backsell (I assume that was tune #10?). Did the 10-way tie actually happen? I have to catch the replay tonight, no fail.

"In My Life" squeaked by as the "winner", tho' it sounds like Dave only did that so Big Rick would have one song to play this afternoon.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2006, 11:12:17 AM »
Bonus: "Crippled Inside"! OMFG!! Thank you Annalisa!!!

Hope geoff's listening: nice Nicky Hopkins piano.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
missed it
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2006, 03:28:50 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

will try to catch it later.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: missed it
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2006, 03:48:14 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "RGMike"

will try to catch it later.

sadly, it was the bonus, so it doesn't get repeated :cry:

12/08/2006 - John Lennon

1.  - Imagine  
2.  - Across the Universe  
3.  - Love  
4.  - #9 Dream  
5.  - Ballad of John & Yoko  
6.  - Beautiful Boy  
7.  - Because  
8.  - Starting Over  
9.  - In My Life (BEST OF SET!!)  
10.  - Happy Xmas (War is Over)

Bonus: Crippled Inside

SFGuy

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2006, 04:49:51 PM »
Lennon's Double Fantasy was the 1st album I ever purchase. At the time, I didn't know who the Beatles were. To me Paul McCartney was part of Wings. It wasn't until Lennon's death that first knew who the Beatles were but I was only 12 when Lennon died.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2006, 08:46:36 PM »
My God. The a cappella Because from Anthology. This is giving me serious chills.

You're going to love how it sounds on the new Beatles remix album Love.  I heard it this week at the Voice (thank ye gods for iTunes shared directories and generous editors): "mash-up" is too drastic a term for what George Martin et al have done.  More like medleys that uncover unexpected linkages between unrelated (and might-as-well-be-era-spanning) tracks.  A more noble effort than I'd anticipated.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2006, 08:51:50 PM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"
Lennon's Double Fantasy was the 1st album I ever purchase. At the time, I didn't know who the Beatles were. To me Paul McCartney was part of Wings. It wasn't until Lennon's death that first knew who the Beatles were but I was only 12 when Lennon died.

I'm roughly your age but was fortunate to have an uncle who anticipated by the time I was 5 that I'd be a Beatles fan, and bought me the 1967-1970 anthology on cassette.  What that ripple in a stream did for me.  So I knew who John Lennon was when I got the news Tuesday morning (I'd already gone to bed Monday night) - a bittersweet story I've told here in years past.  John's is the first death I specifically remember - not Elvis's, surprisingly.

Funnily, I'm not sure if I knew who Wings were at that point.  I knew "Silly Love Songs" and maybe one or two others, but only as songs, not connected to an artist.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2006, 10:27:27 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
What's the title of this lovely lullaby-like beautiful daughter song?

Actually it's called Beautiful Boy--John wrote it for Sean--as the last line just mentioned by name. It's on Double Fantasy.

Does it make me a bad person that I cannot hear the ending to that song without thinking, "Julian hates you so much right now"?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
context
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2006, 10:39:11 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "SFGuy"
I'm roughly your age but was fortunate to have an uncle who anticipated by the time I was 5 that I'd be a Beatles fan, and bought me the 1967-1970 anthology on cassette.  What that ripple in a stream did for me.  So I knew who John Lennon was when I got the news Tuesday morning (I'd already gone to bed Monday night) - a bittersweet story I've told here in years past.  John's is the first death I specifically remember - not Elvis's, surprisingly.

Funnily, I'm not sure if I knew who Wings were at that point.  I knew "Silly Love Songs" and maybe one or two others, but only as songs, not connected to an artist.

I played some Lennon for some of my students today.  Some of them appreciated it, some of them didn't see the point.  They've heard the word "Beatles" but only some of them know some of the music.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!