Author Topic: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.  (Read 105688 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The TV Thread: Networks, cable, shows on DVD.
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »
Add the last 2 digits of your birthyear to the age you will be THIS year and you will get 111.  Weird!
I saw this on TMZ, of all places.

I was born in '71 and will turn 40 (gasp) this year.  71+40=111!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2011, 12:04:02 PM »
Add the last 2 digits of your birthyear to the age you will be THIS year and you will get 111.  Weird!

'55 + 56 = OMFG!

ETA: apparently it changes every year: next year the number will be 112, in 2013 it will be 113, and so on.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 03:06:41 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2011, 09:21:31 PM »

'55 + 56 = OMFG!

ETA: apparently it changes every year: next year the number will be 112, in 2013 it will be 113, and so on.

well seeing as (the year you were born) + (the years you lived in the 20th century) = 100, it would be totally logical.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2011, 09:13:01 AM »
PBS Masterpiece theater has been showing Dowtnon Abbey lo these past three Sunday eves.  Last ep is next Sunday.   It's pretty fun, a period soap opera modeled after Upstairs Downstairs: a noble English family and their goings-on and the servants who serve them and their goings-on.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:17:49 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2011, 09:41:56 AM »
PBS Masterpice theater has been showing Downton Abbey lo these past three Sunday eves.  Last ep is next Sunday.   It's pretty fun, a period soap opera modeled after Upstairs Downstairs: a noble English family and their goings-on and the servants who serve them and their goings-on.

Been watching that here too. Very enjoyable, a well written story with a broad variety of likable and dislikeable characters. Maggie Smith is particularly great as the Dowager Countess of Grantham.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »
PBS Masterpice theater has been showing Downton Abbey lo these past three Sunday eves.  Last ep is next Sunday.   It's pretty fun, a period soap opera modeled after Upstairs Downstairs: a noble English family and their goings-on and the servants who serve them and their goings-on.

Been watching that here too. Very enjoyable, a well written story with a broad variety of likable and dislikeable characters. Maggie Smith is particularly great as the Dowager Countess of Grantham.
We enjoy it too.  I think the characters are finely shaded, with detailed foibles, and we look like we're in for a train-wreck smashup of a finale, wrapping up the entail and Mary's loss of virtue to the dead Turk in her bed!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »
PBS Masterpice theater has been showing Downton Abbey lo these past three Sunday eves.  Last ep is next Sunday.   It's pretty fun, a period soap opera modeled after Upstairs Downstairs: a noble English family and their goings-on and the servants who serve them and their goings-on.

We enjoy it too.  I think the characters are finely shaded, with detailed foibles, and we look like we're in for a train-wreck smashup of a finale, wrapping up the entail and Mary's loss of virtue to the dead Turk in her bed!

here's a good blog post on the details of the entail.  It's rather confusing, but it's essential to the story, of course:

http://www.promantica.com/2011/01/downton-abbey-fans-welcome-to-most.html

The Daily Mail reported back in early January that the miniseries was cut by two hours (from 8 to 6) for American audiences, b/c their attention spans couldn't handle the details:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1343388/Downton-Abbey-cut-2-hours-TV-executives-fearing-plot-baffle-US-viewers.html

...but the American Masterpiece Theater producer said that was just plain wrong
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 06:14:09 PM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2011, 03:23:55 PM »
Set yer TiVo to Fear the Beard: Brian Wilson on Lopez Tonite.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
Move over, Groupon: HomeAway is apologizing for "TEST BABY" from their SuperBowl ad...

http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2011/02/08/as-groupon-defends-its-super-bowl-ad-homeaway-apologizes/

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
Move over, Groupon: HomeAway is apologizing for "TEST BABY" from their SuperBowl ad...

http://blogs.wsj.com/venturecapital/2011/02/08/as-groupon-defends-its-super-bowl-ad-homeaway-apologizes/

I loved the Groupon Tibet ad, and even my wife liked the Test Baby.

But my favorite was the VW-Darth Vader one.

nice avatar!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2011, 05:59:20 PM »

I loved the Groupon Tibet ad, and even my wife liked the Test Baby.

But my favorite was the VW-Darth Vader one.

nice avatar!

Test Baby creeped me out. I don't remember the product of service, but the image of smooshed baby face was too much for me.

But I loved SNL's classic skit that employed the "Stunt Baby" (1977 ep w Buck Henry as host, I couldn't find a vic clip, though).
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
I'm not complaining exactly, but why are there always hot shirtless guys on iCarly? Is Dan Schneider gay? (yes, I watch too much Nickelodeon)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 15, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
CBS News' Lara Logan recovering after 'brutal and sustained assault and beating' in Cairo:
http://www.businessinsider.com/lara-logan-sexual-assault-egypt-2011-2