Author Topic: The Tech Thread (was "Buying tech stuff online")  (Read 44373 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Tech Thread (was "Buying tech stuff online")
« Reply #105 on: February 18, 2011, 05:32:52 PM »
Thanks for the tips! I'll check out those photo apps once I get used to having a decent camera in my phone. The one that was in the Nokia was pretty shabby. (Btw, that Nokia is about three times as thick as my new one, but it weighs about half as much.

I found a free radio-streaming app that has KFOG--in fact, it was the first station they listed! It's called TuneIn Radio. I haven't used it for 10@10 yet, but I expect I will if I'm in the car at the 10am hour. I haven't used the phone to post here yet either, just checking posts a few times. But I'm sure that day is coming as well. Still pretty clumsy with the touch-screen, at least for typing. Hoping there's a learning curve there that I just need to get past.

Going to see Yo La Tengo tonight. Please Lord, don't let me one of those doofuses holding up his phone taking pics for half the evening! ;)

OMG - Just downloaded the TuneIn Radio app.  I don't have to carry around my portable radio for 10@10 anymore! 

Ha!  I'm going to see Yo La Tengo next Tuesday at The Fox.  Let me know your thoughts on tonight's show!  I kinda wish I'd known about Prince's concerts next week sooner.  Would've gone to see him instead.  Oh, and you're only allowed 2 photos during shows.   ;)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #106 on: February 18, 2011, 09:22:52 PM »
I'm just wondering what apps you've found that you think are indispensible, fairly useful or clever, fun, or just really cool. Or any other suggestions or words of advice for a smartphone newb.
well, not sure what's not available on and Android that I might have, but I use a lot of the regular stuff all the time:  weather, scientific calculator, xfinity app (allows me to control the cable box), facebook, starbucks, maps, twitter, urbanspoon, opentable, and so on, I'm boring myself!  I actually use the Chase banking thing where I deposit checks by taking the photo!  Our band gets paid to play in a church, they give me a check, I photo-deposit and issue checks to the others right there on the phone!  Martha and I play Words with Friends all the time, which is a lot of fun.  Then there are specific interest things like astronomy apps that show the names of stars you point at, Red Laser, which scans barcodes, etc, etc, etc.  Sorry to run on so much.  And oh yes, mail, web, txt, video, photos.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:36 AM »
Listened to the "Classic" Live 105 HD station on the TuneIn Radio app Urth suggested.  Couldn't listen long, but they played Ca Plane Pour Moi, Vacation, I Got You, Solsbury Hill and Shout.  It really did take me back to ye olde Live 105 days.  *Love*  ;D

I haven't had a chance to see if there's a classic KROQ HD station on the app.  Now, that would be somethin'!

ETA:  Found KROQ2 (ROQ of the 80s) HD.  They played in the short time that I listened:  The Reflex, Rise, Brand New Lover and Hit That Perfect Beat.  I can get used to this!  :)  :)  :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:08:48 PM by sundaygal »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »
I'm just wondering what apps you've found that you think are indispensible, fairly useful or clever, fun, or just really cool. Or any other suggestions or words of advice for a smartphone newb.
well, not sure what's not available on and Android that I might have, but I use a lot of the regular stuff all the time:  ...

I have an iphone, but I'm not a power user because I don't have a data plan, and therefore I only connect to the internet via wifi.  The iphone was a hand-me-down, it's unlocked so I can use my T-Mobile SIM card, and it's jailbreaked, so I can download open-source apps. 

Not sure if they have these for Droid, but a couple stand-alone apps that I like (they don't require internet) are:

- Poetry App from the Poetry Foundation -- if you listen to The Writers' Almanac, you always hear Garrison Keillor mention it. 
- Seafood Watch from Monterey Bay Aquarium.  If you eat fish (cooked or sushi), this helps you make wise, sustainable choices.
- Photoshop Express - free graphics manipulation app that's good for tweaking photos you take w your phone.
- Angry Birds, of course.  :)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 10:13:41 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2011, 12:09:39 AM »
well, not sure what's not available on and Android that I might have, but I use a lot of the regular stuff all the time:  ...

I have an iphone, but I'm not a power user because I don't have a data plan, and therefore I only connect to the internet via wifi.  The iphone was a hand-me-down, it's unlocked so I can use my T-Mobile SIM card, and it's jailbreaked, so I can download open-source apps. 

Not sure if they have these for Droid, but a couple stand-alone apps that I like (they don't require internet) are:

- Poetry App from the Poetry Foundation -- if you listen to The Writers' Almanac, you always hear Garrison Keillor mention it. 
- Seafood Watch from Monterey Bay Aquarium.  If you eat fish (cooked or sushi), this helps you make wise, sustainable choices.
- Photoshop Express - free graphics manipulation app that's good for tweaking photos you take w your phone.
- Angry Birds, of course.  :)
I'm a new Iphone user. Got it Feb 7. Apps I like:
THN; The Hockey News
Facebook
Star Walk; downloaded upon recommendation but have not tried. Geoff, you should check this one out.
Games: Angry Birds (Free and Lite); Fruit Ninja; Line up; Sheep Launcher; Skee Ball; MemBlock;Battery Magic; Cool Facts

I have not investigated ringtones yet and want to.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2011, 10:26:59 PM »
I'm here playing with my new Sony VAIO laptop.  This is nice!  I might even turn on my computer at home now -- my old machine was so slow as to be nearly unusable.  Still some more setup to do, and I'll need some more peripherals, but I am happy.

But there went my tax return money.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2011, 07:21:30 PM »
I make my own, using Garageband.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »
This has me quite excited! Can you tell me how or should I pop into the Apple store for a lesson? Is it using snippets for iTunes stuff?
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:32 PM »
This has me quite excited! Can you tell me how or should I pop into the Apple store for a lesson? Is it using snippets for iTunes stuff?
I've seen other links, but this is how I do it:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1358

just Google "create iphone ringtone" and you'll find other ways too.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
OK, forgive my tech stupidity here, but I just bought a Netbook thru Verizion -- it's an HP Mini 110-3098NR. Works great so far, but there's no information anywhere in any of the materials they provided regarding how to charge the battery, how long it should take, etc. I've already used it with AC power for a couple of hours, but... do I need to do something else? Googling has not helped me find anything on the subject.  I'm taking to NY in a few weeks, and I don't want to suddenly discover I didn't do something I was supposed to.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2011, 10:45:10 PM »
OK, forgive my tech stupidity here, but I just bought a Netbook thru Verizion -- it's an HP Mini 110-3098NR. Works great so far, but there's no information anywhere in any of the materials they provided regarding how to charge the battery, how long it should take, etc. I've already used it with AC power for a couple of hours, but... do I need to do something else? Googling has not helped me find anything on the subject.  I'm taking to NY in a few weeks, and I don't want to suddenly discover I didn't do something I was supposed to.
Call VZW tech support and they can advise. Or, pop into a VZW store and ask.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:12 PM »
WTFF? they spent millions promoting the thing, didn't they?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/13/BUC31IV1Q4.DTL

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2011, 07:22:46 PM »
WTFF? they spent millions promoting the thing, didn't they?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/04/13/BUC31IV1Q4.DTL
I found the news a little weird indeed!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
watch out what you click on in Google Image Search:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/06/google-images-malware_n_858845.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 13, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »
so yesterday I tried to take advantage of the "special offer" on Amazon -- you could download the entire Book of Mormon cast album for $1.99...

... but to do so you had to first download Amazon's download thingy (not necessary when you buy a single song but you have to do it to download an entire CD).  And... the file has a suffix that my computer (which is barely a year old, folks) doesn't support. "axz" or "axs" or somesuch.  So, no download thingy, no $1.99 album. WTF, Amazon?