Author Topic: KBCO 7/21/06 It's 1969!!!  (Read 10373 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
KBCO 7/21/06 It's 1969!!!
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2006, 09:45:27 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "mshray"
Woo Hoo, Nick Drake, an artist Dave has not managed to get into my Db, has anyone recollected hearing this on KFOG at all?

Never; and this may be a quibble, but playing a song/LP that NEVER got airplay at the time simply because the artist is now well-known is kinda cheating, IMHO.  (Mr. Drake went completely unnoticed by even the most progressive of progressive FMs back then, afaik.) KBCO seems to do this most often -- we heard a Sarah McLaughlin song in an '89 set the other day, for example.

I'd agree in general, but unless you've access to the local playlists of that time it's kind of hard to say that Nick was never heard in greater Denver.  Bob is always mentioning Chicago playlists & has more than once claimed significant local success for bands that otherwise remain obscure to this day.

Well, I s'pose it's possible. I'm basing my assumption on having been heavily into not only radio but the Village Voice/Rolling Stone rock-crit axis back then, and I'd never heard of him until the Volkswagen commercial revived his (dead) career.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2006, 09:46:59 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
we heard a Sarah McLaughlin song in an '89 set the other day, for example.

mclachlan! isn't it? :)

whatever. "That Lilith Fair Chick"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »
[quote-"RGMike"]we heard a Sarah McLaughlin song in an '89 set the other day, for example.

mclachlan! isn't it? :)

whatever. "That Lilith Fair Chick"[/quote]

correction: "That Lilith Fair Chick," eh?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006, 09:50:39 AM »
i hate to say this - to you, of all people - but you should be shot. or placed in the timeout corner. amen.

Timeout! Place me in the Amen Corner!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2006, 09:55:30 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
i hate to say this - to you, of all people - but you should be shot. or placed in the timeout corner. amen.

Timeout! Place me in the Amen Corner!

well, i hadn't *really* feared that reference would be lost on anyone, but you never know, when you're drinking. so thanks for the acknowledgement. i'm going to refill my beer glass now...