Author Topic: 19 July 2006--it's 1979  (Read 10542 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
davefish - are you going to shoreline next week???

I'm a frayed knot.  I'll be in San Diego starting this Saturday for a week.  Buuuuuuut, I'll be seeing SD in SD on Monday with my brother!  I got eighth row seats for it, so I'm psyched.  You'll still be in Europe, eh?

si, desfortunadamente. take lots of pictures! and if the steely damned is playing in san diego, you should go see them!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
go, discocat, go!

indeed. BOS Chic, "My Forbidden Lover".

It's funny, but here is another disco song that I haven't heard for years, and I have to hear it in a differnet way than I did when I was 16.  I mean back then in the Midwest I just had no idea that disco music intesected in anyway whatsoever homsexuality.  I figured this song was either about someone too young to date, or a Romeo & Juliet sort of scenario.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »

I'm a frayed knot.  I'll be in San Diego starting this Saturday for a week.  Buuuuuuut, I'll be seeing SD in SD on Monday with my brother!  I got eighth row seats for it, so I'm psyched.  You'll still be in Europe, eh?

si, desfortunadamente. take lots of pictures! and if the steely damned is playing in san diego, you should go see them!

Ya know, I never thought to take pictures at a concert.  Is it even allowed for normal people?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 10:40:35 AM »

Ya know, I never thought to take pictures at a concert.  Is it even allowed for normal people?

Kind of hard to prevent with camera phones these days.  I got some shots from that R.E.M. show where I was sitting next to you, but they didn't come out well enough to be worth mentioning at the time.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »

they havenīt banned cellphones yet!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006, 10:41:19 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
go, discocat, go!

It's funny, but here is another disco song that I haven't heard for years, and I have to hear it in a differnet way than I did when I was 16.  I mean back then in the Midwest I just had no idea that disco music intesected in anyway whatsoever homsexuality.  I figured this song was either about someone too young to date, or Romeo & Juliet sort of scenario.

which is precisely why disco worked well for two completely different audiences.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 10:42:31 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
go, discocat, go!

It's funny, but here is another disco song that I haven't heard for years, and I have to hear it in a differnet way than I did when I was 16.  I mean back then in the Midwest I just had no idea that disco music intesected in anyway whatsoever homsexuality.  I figured this song was either about someone too young to date, or Romeo & Juliet sort of scenario.

which is precisely why disco worked well for two completely different audiences.

"different?" like any man wearing polyester and dancing to disco wasnīt gay? :)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 10:53:54 AM »

Each show is different. The artist gives the yay or nay about photography. Camera phones are always OK as there is no flash. I'm waiting to learn if Roger Waters will allow pix at Shoreline.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 11:15:33 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Each show is different. The artist gives the yay or nay about photography. Camera phones are always OK as there is no flash. I'm waiting to learn if Roger Waters will allow pix at Shoreline.

Don't hold your breath--Waters is one uptight SOB, although I imagine there'll be some good photo fodder at that show.

Cheap Sunglasses is the bonus track! Yay ZZ Top!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »
damn, Foghead was given these options:

Zappa, "Joe's Garage"
Robert Gordon, "Black Slacks"
ZZTop, "Cheap Sunglasses"

...and he went with ZZ Top. I hate it when that happens.

ETA: an even better '79 bonus on CG right now: Specials, "A Message to You, Rudy"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 12:23:38 PM »
damn, Foghead was given these options:

Zappa, "Joe's Garage"
Robert Gordon, "Black Slacks"
ZZTop, "Cheap Sunglasses"

...and he went with ZZ Top. I hate it when that happens.

ETA: an even better '79 bonus on CG right now: Specials, "A Message to You, Rudy"

Damn I didn't hear the choices because I was on the phone--yeah, ZZ was definitely the lesser of the three choices.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 12:47:28 PM »
1.  Dave Edmuds - Crawling From The Wreckage  
2.  Eagles - In The City (BEST OF SET!!)  
3.  Ian Gomm - Hold On  
4.  Joe Jackson - Look Sharp  
5.  The Crusaders - Street Life  
6.  Eric Clapton - Promises  
7.  Supertramp - The Logical Song  
8.  The Doobie Brothers - Minute By Minute  
9.  Chic - My Forbidden Lover  
10.  Blondie - One Way Or Another  

BONUS TRACK:  ZZ Top - Cheap Sunglasses

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 10:27:32 PM »
Anyone recall the parody on The Logical Song dealing with the late-70s fuel shortage?  Dave played a bit of it during the break prior to actually playing TLS in today's set. I hadn't thought of it in ages, and now it's bugging the hell out of me.

Pretty decent set today. Wish I'd paid more attention this morning, but work was being work.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 11:26:37 PM »

I'm so easily tempted. I just looked for tix at SHoreline for the show and 103 row H came up. Can't quite make the buy. Now POC, if you were here and would go with me....
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
19 July 2006--it's 1979
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 02:41:27 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

I'm so easily tempted. I just looked for tix at SHoreline for the show and 103 row H came up. Can't quite make the buy. Now POC, if you were here and would go with me....

argh!!! if i were there, we could go backstage!! oh well...