Author Topic: 29 June: Dave's back & we're off to - 1974  (Read 9758 times)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
29 June: Dave's back & we're off to - 1974
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 10:38:38 AM »
I was trying to sing "On the Border" in the shower the other day.  Have no idea why it came to me.  I wasn't too good, which is kind of sad.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: VHM Womack
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 10:39:13 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "urth"
Is J Geils the original?
Nope, I think the Womack version is.

ETA: Yep, unless the song that Sam Cooke did by that name is the same one.

J. Geils version came out in 71

Ah, I see the problem. The J. Geils version doesn't abbreviate "lookin'" where the Sam Cooke and Womack versions do. I was looking at the listing for the abbreviated name, which didn't include the Geils because of the spelling variation.

Anyway, it seems Sam Cook & the Valentinos did the original, Geils came later, and Womack after that.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 10:39:48 AM »
Gotta say Dave didn't disappoint after his hiatus.

ETA: And no mention of Jose, though he did get a recommedation from Lisa Simpson.  What's next?  Bart?
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 10:42:39 AM »
damn, I removed my Lisa Simpson avatar too soon!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 10:43:15 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Gotta say Dave didn't disappoint after his hiatus.

Likewise.  Ginger's '75 set was awesome & then this.  And I'm guessing we get a tasty 60's set tomorrow.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: VHM Womack
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 11:02:44 AM »
Is J Geils the original?
Nope, I think the Womack version is.

ETA: Yep, unless the song that Sam Cooke did by that name is the same one.
J. Geils version came out in 71
Ah, I see the problem. The J. Geils version doesn't abbreviate "lookin'" where the Sam Cooke and Womack versions do. I was looking at the listing for the abbreviated name, which didn't include the Geils because of the spelling variation.

Anyway, it seems Sam Cook & the Valentinos did the original, Geils came later, and Womack after that.

Wait, Wait!  It's a twisted story.  For some reason, I Googled when I should have been working, and what I've come up with is that the songwriters are someone else altogether (James Alexander / Zelda Samuels) and some lyrics site says:  
Also recorded by: Sam Cooke; Jack O. & The Tearjerkers; Steve Marriott; The Small Faces; Rufus Thomas; The Valentinos.

So I finally track down the Sam Cooke reference (he's one of my all time faves) and it turns out to be on this album of tracks from Sam's label, SAR. Bobby Womack was in the Valentinos back then!  The sound sample on Amazon has that gruff thing going on.  Billy Preston is supposed to be one of Sam's artists back then too.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »
So the good Foghead took Annalisa's   b r o a d   hint and picked door number one - Roxy Music "Out of the Blue".

Yippee!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 11:52:14 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
 For all you etymologists out there, from whence cometh the term Hell On Wheels?

Wasn't it the slogan of a WWII infantry battalion? Sorry, can't recall which one, but I'm betting you know.

Of course I know, silly, I don't generally ask rhetorical trivia quesions.

Anyway it dates from the mid 19th century.

No, I meant that you knew which battalion it was, like the 53rd Infantry or some kinda thing. I figured you knew the answer to the question.

Anyway, so WWII is off, but it dates from the mid-1800s. Can you expand on that? Or rather, would you?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 12:05:56 PM »

Wasn't it the slogan of a WWII infantry battalion? Sorry, can't recall which one, but I'm betting you know.

No, I meant that you knew which battalion it was, like the 53rd Infantry or some kinda thing. I figured you knew the answer to the question.

Anyway, so WWII is off, but it dates from the mid-1800s. Can you expand on that? Or rather, would you?

I'm guessing it has theatrical roots?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 12:39:16 PM »
1.  David Bowie - Rebel Rebel  
2.  McCartney & Wings - Let Me Roll it  
3.  Steely Dan - Any Major Dude  
4.  Joe Walsh - Meadows (BEST OF SET!!)  
5.  Shuggie Otis - Strawberry Letter 23  
6.  Bobby Womack - Lookin' For a Love  
7.  ELO - Boy Blue  
8.  Wet Willie - Keep on Smilin'  
9.  Carole King - Jazzman  
10.  Eagles - On the Border  

BONUS TRACK:  Roxy Music - Out of the Blue

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

No, it's a surprisingly literal reference.  It comes from the Union Pacific RR Co. building the eastern half of the transcontinental railroad.  Unlike the Central Pacific, which after few months was largely employing well-behaved Chinese, the Union Pacific employed anyone who could get there; an incredibly volatile mix of humanity with the largest numbers coming from three groups: Irish immigrants, ex-Confederate soldiers, and ex-slaves.  Vice & violence were endemic, and the U-P bosses also quickly learned that they had problems with turnover.  So as both a profit-making scheme & a way to keep their labor supply more dependent on the company wages, they either set up or actively encouraged brothels, gaming dens, saloons, etc.  The scene of all this activity adjacent to the laborers' camp became known as Helltown.  And every 20 miles or so the whole thing had to pull up stakes and move west with the newly laid track, thus it became Hell quite literally On Wheels.  

According to one book I read on the subject, Hell on Wheels had essentially no law enforcement and averaged roughly two homicides per night.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 12:43:54 PM »

No, it's a surprisingly literal reference.  It comes from the Union Pacific RR Co. building the eastern half of the transcontinental railroad.  Unlike the Central Pacific, which after few months was largely employing well-behaved Chinese, the Union Pacific employed anyone who could get there; an incredibly volatile mix of humanity with the largest numbers coming from three groups: Irish immigrants, ex-Confederate soldiers, and ex-slaves.  Vice & violence were endemic, and the U-P bosses also quickly learned that they had problems with turnover.  So as both a profit-making scheme & a way to keep their labor supply more dependent on the company wages, they either set up or actively encouraged brothels, gaming dens, saloons, etc.  The scene of all this activity adjacent to the laborers' camp became known as Helltown.  And every 20 miles or so the whole thing had to pull up stakes and move west with the newly laid track, thus it became Hell quite literally On Wheels.  

According to one book I read on the subject, Hell on Wheels had essentially no law enforcement and averaged roughly two homicides per night.

Damn! sounds like an HBO series, if they didn't already have Deadwood.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 01:31:13 PM »

this is why is tick around here, folks. where else are you going to hear shit like this in the midst of all the good music? :)