Author Topic: 21 June 2006: Summer? Nope-- 1979  (Read 8114 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
21 June 2006: Summer? Nope-- 1979
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 10:47:48 AM »
FWIW, Dave's "I thought I was the only one who remembered Cindy Bullins..." comment rang a bell.  So this set might not be ancient, just more than 2 years old.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 11:11:59 AM »
Bonus: Squeeze, "Cool For Cats" !

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2006, 11:17:29 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
FWIW, Dave's "I thought I was the only one who remembered Cindy Bullins..." comment rang a bell.  So this set might not be ancient, just more than 2 years old.

More than 2 years, and also not among the 60% or so of the sets from early '02 to early '04 in the archive.

And frankly I don't think I've ever heard the song anywhere.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2006, 11:48:25 AM »
6/21/2006 - Wednesday...Today's 10@10 "Classic" is from...1979!!!

1.  Dire Straits - Once Upon a Time in the West  
2.  Supertramp - Gone Hollywood  
3.  Police - Bed's Too Big Without You (BEST OF SET!!)  
4.  Cars - Dangerous Type  
5.  Cindy Bullens - Survivor  
6.  Gibson Brothers - Cuba  
7.  Patty Smith - Dancing Barefoot  
8.  Cheap Trick - I Want You to Want Me  
9.  Flying Lizards - Money  
10.  Buggles - Video Killed the Radio Star  

BONUS TRACK:  Squeeze - Cool for Cats
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2006, 11:48:55 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Summer comes in 2002
1.) Martha & the Vandellas - Dancing in the Street
2.) Dire Straits - Twistin' By the Pool
3.) Eddie Cochran - Summertime Blues
4.) Lovin' Spoonful - Summer in the City
5.) Sly & the Family Stone - Hot Fun in the Summertime
6.) Alice Cooper - School's Out
7.) War - Summer
8.) Janis Joplin - Summertime
9.) Billy Stewart - Summertime
10.) Mungo Jerry - In the Summertime
11.) Beach Boys - Good Vibrations

I remember this set very, very well.  I'd come back to SF for a week to visit (it was on this day, actually, that I met several of you to see the Princess play "Night on Broadway," "Somebody's Knocking," "The Ocean," and several originals at Cafe de la Presse; but I digresse) and was on the 38 Geary en route to the ocean during this set.  "Hot Fun" came on in the avenues near all those Russian bakeries, and I called in a BOS vote; then he played Billy Stewart's "Summertime" and I recanted.  T'was a lovely, lovely day.

Re Cindy Bullens, I knew we'd heard it at least once before here due to another random memory.  Shortly after moving to NYC, I attended the Global Entertainment & Media Summit, an entertainment-biz conf, and Cindy was on a panel with a couple people I knew.  I'd never heard of her but she was said to have placed a song or two on the Grease soundtrack.  She'd just re-entered the music biz after a long period of retirement following the death of her child, and had what seemed an inflated sense of how big she'd been.  Soon afterwards I heard "Survivor" for the first time and it was an instant WOS for me, reminding me in a weird way of Andrew Gold's "Lonely Boy," and you all know how I feel about that one.

OK, now I'm really blathering . . .
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2006, 02:27:46 PM »
... But while scanning for that possibility I noticed that not only is "Cruel To Be Kind" the biggest 1979 Katrina, it is also likely to be the TotHC half the time it shows up...

TotHC = Top of the Hour Cooker?

Sorry, just trying to get up to speed on all the 10@10 Club acronyms...

--Darryl

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2006, 02:35:42 PM »
Quote from: "darryl"
... But while scanning for that possibility I noticed that not only is "Cruel To Be Kind" the biggest 1979 Katrina, it is also likely to be the TotHC half the time it shows up...

TotHC = Top of the Hour Cooker?

Sorry, just trying to get up to speed on all the 10@10 Club acronyms...

--Darryl

You got it, man!

And as I'm sure you've surmised by now:
BOS = Best of Set
WOS = Worst of Set
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2006, 03:15:05 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Re Cindy Bullens, I knew we'd heard it at least once before here due to another random memory.  Shortly after moving to NYC, I attended the Global Entertainment & Media Summit, an entertainment-biz conf, and Cindy was on a panel with a couple people I knew.  I'd never heard of her but she was said to have placed a song or two on the Grease soundtrack.  

I had no idea she was one of the Grease girls. She is indeed credited on the sndtk (singing "It's raining on Prom Night" and others) and It's not clear if she was actually on-screen or a voice being lip-synched by one of the actresses.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2006, 09:34:51 AM »
VHM Flying Lizards. Best. Yoko. Imitation. EVAH.

Is that what they were going for?  To my ears, it sounds far more like the French Moroccan wife of my former boss Lucifer (aka the BMMB), a vapid oxygen-waster who lives only for the spoils of DKNY.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2006, 05:45:31 PM »

Is that what they were going for?  To my ears, it sounds far more like the French Moroccan wife of my former boss Lucifer (aka the BMMB), a vapid oxygen-waster who lives only for the spoils of DKNY.

I've no idea if that was their intention, but it always sounded like her to me. Of course people my age had heard her voice a lot in interviews. I have a vivid memory of driving around with my friend George, another New Wave Music Geek, and hearing the record for the first time when then-great WPIX-FM premiered it. And we simultaneously said out loud "Is this YOKO??"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2006, 12:36:01 AM »

I've no idea if that was their intention, but it always sounded like her to me. Of course people my age had heard her voice a lot in interviews. I have a vivid memory of driving around with my friend George, another New Wave Music Geek, and hearing the record for the first time when then-great WPIX-FM premiered it. And we simultaneously said out loud "Is this YOKO??"

Oh, I can so picture that. BAHAHA I love it