Author Topic: The Peak, 6/13/06: 1994(?)  (Read 1496 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Peak, 6/13/06: 1994(?)
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:48:28 AM »
Green Day - Longview
Dave Matthews Band - What Would You Say
Liz Phair - Supernova
Pink Floyd - Keep Talking
Smashing Pumpkins - Landslide
Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do
REM - Strange Currencies
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Hootie And The Blowfish - Only Want To Be With You
Grant Lee - Buffalo Mockingbirds
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Peak, 6/13/06: 1993... or 1994?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 07:55:48 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I honestly can't tell you from this list; those 2 years kinda blend together :wink:

Green Day - Longview
Dave Matthews Band - What Would You Say
Liz Phair - Supernova
Pink Floyd - Keep Talking
Smashing Pumpkins - Landslide
Sheryl Crow - All I Wanna Do
REM - Strange Currencies
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Hootie And The Blowfish - Only Want To Be With You
Grant Lee - Buffalo Mockingbirds

That's more what 1994 sounded like to me.  Oh how I loved the Liz Phair and Grant Lee Buffalo songs.  Dunno if I ever told you this story -- but in the summer of '95, I went with my Freak friends up to Lake Winnepesaukee for the first time.  I've mentioned my friend Dave* here a few times -- well, his cousin Mike is one of the most drop-dead-gorgeous people I have ever known, and his personality is so compatible with mine that he completely overwhelmed me.  My one and only experience with "love at first sight."

Of course, he's straight.

But we were all at the lake, and at one point Dave*, Mike, two of Mike's friends, and I went out for scorpion bowls and divey Chinese food at Lee Wah's.  We rode back in a Jeep, Mike and I standing in the back, and "Supernova" came on the radio.  Mike dug the song as much as I did and started singing along -- and made complete, searing eye contact with me when he sang the line "And you fuck like a volcano."

Never have I so wanted to prove a rock song correct.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Peak, 6/13/06: 1994(?)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 07:59:42 AM »
PS: "Mockingbirds" features some of the most wonderfully evocative and intricate wordplay of the modern-rock halcyon days.  Grant-Lee Phillips could have been one of our great troubadours today had he stayed in a collaborative band setting instead of running off to do self-indulgent (and musically snoozically) lo-fi indie recordings.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Peak, 6/13/06: 1993... or 1994?
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 07:10:59 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
the line "And you fuck like a volcano."

The word was backflipped for delicate ears on this broadcast, in case anyone wondered.