Author Topic: 16 May 2006: 1982  (Read 10391 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 May 2006: 1982
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006, 10:43:17 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
The I Love Music community has more or less declared "Hold Me" the greatest song ever.

That officially makes them a weirdass bunch :wink:

This set is so by-the-numbers I can smell the paint.

Finally, a song I can give a BOS vote to: "Invisible Sun"

I don' wanna play the part of a statistic on a government chart.

Oh, yes.  That line reminds me of why I was singing it.  I heard a song on KFrOG while I was dressing by the police that had something about "I don't want to play that part", but it rhymed "part" with something else.  Anybody guess the song?  I can't remember it right now.

So Lonely maybe? I remember hearing that as I was eating my breakfast around 8:15 or so.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 10:43:27 AM »
BOS #3, CSN "Southern Cross", another song that gets much more KFOG airplay than 10@10 airplay (only in my Db once, from 10/02) , but I still love it.

And you know it wee-eel...

isn't there another line in your bottom quote about a "watery tart"?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 10:44:43 AM »
Oh, most nostalgic of set for Roxy Music.  Takes me back to sophomore year at Stanford.  The cute girl across the hall had Avalon and let me borrow it.  Definitely on the best of the 80s list for me, and of course, she was the cute girl across the hall.

Which dorm was that?

When I was TA-ing Pop Culture History at UCSB, my discussion group one week declared overwhelmingly that Avalon was the best make-out album of the times.  Somewhat surprisingly, several female students said that if they were with a guy & he started playing Avalon, then they knew that he was actually going to make a move & not leave them frustrated(!).
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 10:45:50 AM »
Somewhat surprisingly, several female students said that if they were with a guy & he started playing Avalon, then they knew that he was actually going to make a move & not leave them frustrated(!).

Unless he was gay and REALLY fond of Bryan Ferry...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 10:46:45 AM »

isn't there another line in your bottom quote about a "watery tart"?

ayup.  and one about a "moistened bint".  
(I'm doing one per week for the month.)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2006, 10:47:18 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
The I Love Music community has more or less declared "Hold Me" the greatest song ever.

That officially makes them a weirdass bunch :wink:

This set is so by-the-numbers I can smell the paint.

Finally, a song I can give a BOS vote to: "Invisible Sun"

I don' wanna play the part of a statistic on a government chart.

Oh, yes.  That line reminds me of why I was singing it.  I heard a song on KFrOG while I was dressing by the police that had something about "I don't want to play that part", but it rhymed "part" with something else.  Anybody guess the song?  I can't remember it right now.

So Lonely maybe? I remember hearing that as I was eating my breakfast around 8:15 or so.

Yes!  Heard it on the way back to my house after dropping off the kids and waiting to get picked up.  Here are the lines:
And I can only play that part
And sit and nurse my broken heart

So there you go.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2006, 10:48:34 AM »
Oh, most nostalgic of set for Roxy Music.  Takes me back to sophomore year at Stanford.  The cute girl across the hall had Avalon and let me borrow it.  Definitely on the best of the 80s list for me, and of course, she was the cute girl across the hall.

Which dorm was that?

When I was TA-ing Pop Culture History at UCSB, my discussion group one week declared overwhelmingly that Avalon was the best make-out album of the times.  Somewhat surprisingly, several female students said that if they were with a guy & he started playing Avalon, then they knew that he was actually going to make a move & not leave them frustrated(!).

That was Storey house, then the fanciest house on campus having recently been rebuilt after burning down.  And the girl was Corinne Gouveia.  Actually, her roommate was better looking, but had a known boyfriend.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2006, 11:16:16 AM »
I nominate this for least creative '82 set EVAH!

Certainly least creative Bonus track pick, Froghead chooses #1 Pop hit "Come On Eileen" over the Clash "Straight To Hell".

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2006, 11:27:43 AM »
I nominate this for least creative '82 set EVAH!

Certainly least creative Bonus track pick, Froghead chooses #1 Pop hit "Come On Eileen" over the Clash "Straight To Hell".

Fogheads choose! (and the rest of us lose)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2006, 06:09:17 PM »
Hey gang, I'm about out of here. Will still be in SF tomorrow am but probably not able to log in here, and then we're off across the pond to Blighty tomorrow afternoon, so this will likely be the last you hear from me for a couple weeks. Will be back online on June 5, although I may try to check in to see what I've missed if I can get a few minutes in an internet cafe or something. Hope you get lots of cool sets while I'm out and about.

Hasta luigi!
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
tally ho!
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2006, 07:10:58 PM »
Hey gang, I'm about out of here. Will still be in SF tomorrow am but probably not able to log in here, and then we're off across the pond to Blighty tomorrow afternoon, so this will likely be the last you hear from me for a couple weeks. Will be back online on June 5, although I may try to check in to see what I've missed if I can get a few minutes in an internet cafe or something. Hope you get lots of cool sets while I'm out and about.

Hasta luigi!

man, I wish I could get away!  Have fun.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2006, 08:18:08 PM »

Hasta luigi!

Bon Voyage!  (to be pronounced "voy-yeah-gee" Bugs Bunny style)  Hugs to 'Trix and the Queen Mum!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2006, 08:50:02 PM »
Hey gang, I'm about out of here. Will still be in SF tomorrow am but probably not able to log in here, and then we're off across the pond to Blighty tomorrow afternoon, so this will likely be the last you hear from me for a couple weeks. Will be back online on June 5, although I may try to check in to see what I've missed if I can get a few minutes in an internet cafe or something. Hope you get lots of cool sets while I'm out and about. Hasta luigi!

Have fun, bub. You're going at a good time -- they're in a drought, so you may not even need yer brelly.  Stop in at CG (they're in Leicester Square) and see if they give tours.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2006, 12:25:42 AM »

Hasta luigi!

Safe travels. Have fun!
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2006, 09:04:52 AM »
Ditto on the safe travel wishes, Urth.  And the envy.

5/16/2006 - Tuesday! Good stuff...1982!!!

1.  Asia - Heat of the Moment  
2.  Translator - Everywhere That I'm Not (BEST OF SET!!)  
3.  Cars - A Dream Away  
4.  Flock of Seagulls - I Ran  
5.  Missing Persons - Words  
6.  Fleetwood Mac - Hold Me  
7.  Police - Invisible Sun  
8.  Fixx - Stand or Fall  
9.  Roxy Music - To Turn You On  
10.  CSN - Southern Cross  

BONUS TRACK:  Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen

--Carlos Santana, 2010