Author Topic: KBCO 4/7/06: 1977  (Read 7060 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
KBCO 4/7/06: 1977
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2006, 09:34:41 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Would've loved to hear that Dolly. I still say that Mann/Weill composition is a pitch-perfect hommage to Pet Clark's mid-'60s ouevre. I can totally imagine her singing it with a full Tony Hatch arrangement.

Amen to that.  Cass Elliott also had a love of these kinds of songs, though I'm not sure she could have summoned the vulnerability necessary for "Here You Come Again."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2006, 09:36:07 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
This rocket got to roll...

yet another BOS,  I have a double live album by the CBB that predates this song, adn it's really good.  One of their best songs is called "I Am Constant", like Mike's tag quote.

that gives us the 3rd M3S "constant as a northern star" reference Gaz was looking for.

BOS "Hee-woes"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 09:36:15 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Well they say, mshray loves a hero...BOS # whatever.

and so, apparently, does this deejay subbing for Ginger.  Another Hero BOS to Bowie.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2006, 09:39:20 AM »

that gives us the 3rd M3S "constant as a northern star" reference Gaz was looking for.

well, they say morning star instead of northern star...

I am constant
As the morning star
Shines out of the sky
And I am constant
Never knowing if it's
Truth that's in your eyes,
As unchanging as the rivers flow,
But heaven knows I've tried
Rearranging different music
But still the same inside
I am constant...

I am constant
As the morning star
Shines down from above
And I am truthful
But who knows the truth
When jokers fall in love
Dust and ashes take the best of us
But what goes on before
Superficial as humanity
When people go to war
I am constant...

I am you...yes I am...
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2006, 09:40:42 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Would've loved to hear that Dolly. I still say that Mann/Weill composition is a pitch-perfect hommage to Pet Clark's mid-'60s ouevre. I can totally imagine her singing it with a full Tony Hatch arrangement.

Amen to that.  Cass Elliott also had a love of these kinds of songs, though I'm not sure she could have summoned the vulnerability necessary for "Here You Come Again."

All you gotta do
Is slice some ham
And there go all my defenses...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 09:42:42 AM »
BOS3 Karla Bonoff's version of her own "Someone To Lay Down Beside Me", also covered by Ms Ronstadt.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 09:43:38 AM »
That's amazing to have found a "constant ... star" trifecta so quickly.

And a BBBOS to "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me," some of the best pure songwriting I've ever heard in the singer-songwriter ouevre.  Was Karla Bonoff considered part of the Canyon community?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 09:47:21 AM »

And a BBBOS to "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me," some of the best pure songwriting I've ever heard in the singer-songwriter ouevre.  Was Karla Bonoff considered part of the Canyon community?

I have to assume she was; I believe it was either Jackson Browne or Glenn Frey who turned Ronstadt on to her stuff (there were sveral Bonoff songs on Hasten Down the Wind).

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 11:30:29 AM »

I have to assume she was; I believe it was either Jackson Browne or Glenn Frey who turned Ronstadt on to her stuff (there were sveral Bonoff songs on Hasten Down the Wind).

Agreed that was my BOS too (what I heard of it).

Any idea what she's up to lately? Looks like her website has been abandoned--karlabonoff.com goes to one of those "buy this domain" pages.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 11:44:21 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Any idea what she's up to lately? Looks like her website has been abandoned--karlabonoff.com goes to one of those "buy this domain" pages.

I never knew she had a song on the Footloose sndtk.  Guess she's still living off those residuals!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2006, 07:10:52 PM »

She played a concert in NYC in January.  I wrote this preview of it for the Voice:

SATURDAY 1.21

Karla Bonoff
NY Society for Ethical Culture, 2 W 64th, 212-307-7171.
8pm, $25-$30.

Her “Someone to Lay Down Beside Me” made for a better ersatz Ronstadt than Ronstadt herself, and she went on to pen other hits for Linda, including “All My Life.” Bonoff’s a talent, albeit an unprolific one; long breaks between records rendered her forgotten. Her catalog isn’t large, but it’s good. Opener Catie Curtis is a Bostonian confessional singer-songwriter who sounds like those Canadian softies.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Karla Bonoff
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2006, 08:05:15 PM »

That's happened to me, maybe even to this domain.  If for some reason your bill doesn't get paid on time, it automatically defaults to this generic type of page.  I don't really see why she'd abandon it.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!