Author Topic: 7 April 2006: 1969!  (Read 10614 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
7 April 2006: 1969!
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2006, 11:20:20 AM »
Bonus: "Everyday People".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Jingo Lo Ba
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2006, 12:38:57 PM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
I heard the African predecessor to "Jingo" on RadioParadise some time ago.  I think it's called "Jingo Lo Ba" and it sounds quite a bit more primal.  Not rock and roll, but interesting to here where the inspiration came from.

written by Babatunde Olatunji

He opened for the GD one NYE at Oakland Coliseum, and had these two hunge drums (about 15 or 20 ft high!)

http://www.olatunjimusic.com/
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Jingo Lo Ba
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2006, 12:44:13 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I heard the African predecessor to "Jingo" on RadioParadise some time ago.  I think it's called "Jingo Lo Ba" and it sounds quite a bit more primal.  Not rock and roll, but interesting to here where the inspiration came from.

He opened for the GD one NYE at Oakland Coliseum, and had these two hunge drums (about 15 or 20 ft high!)

I think I was at that show. From what little I can remember of it. New Years' Eve, ya know....

We were eating dinner in an Afghan restaurant in San Rafael last year and he came in with a group of people. I think he'd been doing a performance/clinic for the Ali Akbar Khan School of Music, as there were students and all sorts of folks in the party.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2006, 01:48:36 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

He opened for the GD one NYE at Oakland Coliseum, and had these two huge drums (about 15 or 20 ft high!)

I think I was at that show. From what little I can remember of it. New Years' Eve, ya know....

We were eating dinner in an Afghan restaurant in San Rafael last year and he came in with a group of people. I think he'd been doing a performance/clinic for the Ali Akbar Khan School of Music, as there were students and all sorts of folks in the party.

last year?
Quote from: "olatunjimusic.com"
-In Memorium -
Michael Babatunde "Baba" Olatunji

Our friend, brother and spirtual leader left this plain for another,
Sunday, April 6, 2003, 7:30 am, at the age of 75.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2006, 05:51:45 PM »

He opened for the GD one NYE at Oakland Coliseum, and had these two huge drums (about 15 or 20 ft high!)

last year?
Quote from: "olatunjimusic.com"
-In Memorium -
Michael Babatunde "Baba" Olatunji

Our friend, brother and spirtual leader left this plain for another,
Sunday, April 6, 2003, 7:30 am, at the age of 75.

Hmmm. Obviously I made an incorrect assumption.  :oops:

But it sure looked like him, and I thought I heard his name mentioned when introductions were being made. Now I'm wondering who it could have been.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2006, 05:52:19 PM »
4/7/06 - Friday...FINALLY!!!  Let's go back to...1969!!!

Flirtations - Nothing But a Heartache
Santana - Jingo
Frost - Mystery Man (Vinyl)
Isley Brothers - It's Your Thing
Youngbloods - Get Together
Neil Young - Cinnamon Girl (B-O-S!!)
Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music
Steam - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
Les McCann & Eddie Harris - Compared to What
Desmond Dekker & the Aces - Israelites
BONUS TRACK:  Sly & the Family Stone - Everyday People

I sure hope Dave doesn't play this one first tomorrow morning, unlikely that I can hear the replay tonight.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2006, 12:15:41 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I sure hope Dave doesn't play this one first tomorrow morning, unlikely that I can hear the replay tonight.

Sorry, dude--your fears were realized. I rolled over and flipped on the radio for a sec when Sarah left for work at around 7:15 and heard Mystery Man, so knew 69 was the leadoff for today. Bummer.

On the other hand, I woke up for real at about 9:40 or so, and caught the second half of Sister Golden Hair, which meant I got my wish to hear Tuesday's 75 set one more time. Heard most of it Tuesday while on the bus going home from the Jeff Beck show, but this time I managed to catch Pinball, too--beauty. And the rest of the set was just gem after gem: Bowie, EWF, 10cc(!), Pete Wingfield(!!), GD, Todd(!!!), Kiss, Jigsaw--truly an inspired set. Friday's trip to '69 was nice but this was the set of the week, IMO.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2006, 08:52:52 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Sorry, dude--your fears were realized.

I know, I was out of bed in time for the end of the Sunshine set & heard all the others.  Really did love that 75 set too.

That's the second week in a row that Dave has led off with the previous day's 60's set.  There oughta be a law...
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010