Author Topic: 10 March 2006: & the wheel spins to ???? ('72)  (Read 15239 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
10 March 2006: & the wheel spins to ???? ('72)
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2006, 10:18:51 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "urth"
Was really hoping for 72--and got it. This has been Dave's week to pick up some of the long-absent years. 75 (classic notwithstanding), 86, and now 72. Nice.

Btw, Dave started early again--I turned on at 9:57 and he was already handing out the birthday batons. Chik-o-stix again.

If Dave counts at all (I'm not convinced he does), I'm sure classics don't enter into it.

I picture a big blackboard in the production room with all the years on it and check marks when they're played (classics included).  It's certainly not random, and he (usually) manages to hit every "must-play" year  every 4-6 weeks or so. It's unusual for him to hit something twice in 2 weeks (as he did with '75 last week) unless a special request is involved.

Based on several things, including direct comments from Dave & Irish Greg, my understanding is that Dave really just keeps it all in his head.  He has stated that he doesn't keep archives back as long as even one year.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2006, 10:19:47 AM »
BOS, my favorite CCR tune.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 10:20:39 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
i'll hold off on bos, but it's such a damn good song: vaheeeeeevalaaaaaah!  huuuvolaaaa! shambalaaaaa!

Could this be proto-Yacht rock?

proto-, roots of- Yacht Rock JINX!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 10:21:21 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Was really hoping for 72--and got it. This has been Dave's week to pick up some of the long-absent years. 75 (classic notwithstanding), 86, and now 72. Nice.

Btw, Dave started early again--I turned on at 9:57 and he was already handing out the birthday batons. Chik-o-stix again.

If Dave counts at all (I'm not convinced he does), I'm sure classics don't enter into it.

I picture a big blackboard in the production room with all the years on it and check marks when they're played (classics included).  It's certainly not random, and he (usually) manages to hit every "must-play" year  every 4-6 weeks or so. It's unusual for him to hit something twice in 2 weeks (as he did with '75 last week) unless a special request is involved.

Based on several things, including direct comments from Dave & Irish Greg, my understanding is that Dave really just keeps it all in his head.  He has stated that he doesn't keep archives back as long as even one year.

Could be--he's been doing it long enough.

But as for the archives--somebody must be keeping recordings of old sets (maybe not ALL sets) because when I've been able to pinpoint the original airdates, the classics we've heard over the last year or two have been 4 to 6 years old, at least.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2006, 10:21:31 AM »

well then he's REALLY good.

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2006, 10:21:54 AM »
Woo Hoo - Creedence!!

Not even close to my favorite CCR song, but it just reminds me how GREAT they were ...  IMHO the best of John Fogerty compares real favorably with Lennon/McCartney ... they had just a great sound...
Now I'm eight bits...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 10:22:58 AM »
BOS CCR

BOS2 Nils Lofgren & Grin.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2006, 10:24:57 AM »
BOS CCR

BOS2 Nils Lofgren & Grin.

Yeah, BOS2 to Grin.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2006, 10:26:15 AM »
BOS3 Sly. Look at you foolin' you!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 10:26:37 AM »
Nils gets my BOS--White Lies.

Found this album on vinyl at a yard sale the block over from me a couple of years ago. They had some great stuff, but they thought it was all collectors stuff (they were only partly right) and wouldn't go below $3 per album--which is way too much for old vinyl unless it's been out of print for ages. I bought a few things I knew were tough to find and left a bigger stack in the box.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2006, 10:27:26 AM »

Could be--he's been doing it long enough.

But as for the archives--somebody must be keeping recordings of old sets (maybe not ALL sets) because when I've been able to pinpoint the original airdates, the classics we've heard over the last year or two have been 4 to 6 years old, at least.

I should clarify:  Dave himself doesn't keep records of anything.  Someone at the station records & saves the sets for playback evenings & Saturdays, but if Dave really wanted to find out what he played last year on March 10 he'd probably have to go to the station & listen to the tape.  I kinda doubt that they're even cross referenced by year.  And before they did the Saturday marathon not every set got saved past the evening replay, this Dave has told me for a fact.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 10:30:09 AM »
a rare non-thematic segue from Munich to "Tiny Dancer".  Kinda jarring, actually.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 10:35:23 AM »
Jungle fever. Cue the cold shower....
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2006, 10:35:59 AM »
uh-oh. "Jungle Fever", Chakachas.  This one's aimed directly at Jose, I'm sure...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2006, 10:36:11 AM »
Jungle fever. Cue the cold shower....

I had to turn this down, my coworkers were beginning to stare.

--Carlos Santana, 2010