Author Topic: that's Allstate, Stan!  (Read 7071 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
that's Allstate, Stan!
« on: February 26, 2006, 03:14:57 PM »
I always heard it said like he was talking to this guy named Stan, but the other day it occurred to me he might be saying "That's Allstate's Stand" instead.  I can't get the timing and phrasing of the Stan version out of my head, or he's just saying it that way.  Whaddya guys think?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: that's Allstate, Stan!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I always heard it said like he was talking to this guy named Stan, but the other day it occurred to me he might be saying "That's Allstate's Stand" instead.  I can't get the timing and phrasing of the Stan version out of my head, or he's just saying it that way.  Whaddya guys think?

It's definitely "stand".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 08:19:41 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
It's definitely "stand".

I get that now, but if you type "that's Allstate, Stan" into Google, you will find a lot of other people confused too!  I just think the phrasing is less than optimal in the ad.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 08:34:23 PM »
It's definitely "stand".

I get that now, but if you type "that's Allstate, Stan" into Google, you will find a lot of other people confused too!  I just think the phrasing is less than optimal in the ad.

"Slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan..."

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 12:35:04 PM »
It's definitely "stand".

wow. it never occurred to me that he would be saying anything other than  "That's Allstate's Stand," so i had to google "that's Allstate, Stan." there are a lot of emily litellas out there!

anyhoo, dennis haysbert is fine!! the new "voice," i say. you know, heir james earl jones.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 12:52:59 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
anyhoo, dennis haysbert is fine!! the new "voice," i say. you know, heir james earl jones.

Oh my yes.

"Are YOU in good hands?"

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 12:54:52 PM »

sookie.
sookie.
now.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:57:37 PM »

sookie.
sookie.
now.

if you're sticking around, VIP Radio is slammin' & jammin' today.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 01:00:39 PM »
It's definitely "stand".

"Slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan..."

(i'm obsessed with this now)

from television without pity:

And, from the old "The Hearing Is the First Thing to Go" category: So Dennis "El 24 Presidente" Haysbert has been the spokesman for Allstate for some time now, and I just recently realized that at the end of the commercials, what he says is, "That's Allstate's stand." See, all this time, I thought that he was on some kind of bizarre, hipster, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" kick and that he was saying, "That's Allstate, Stan." Huh. I guess that's why he never moved on to other lyrics from the song, like "When you try to register an auto claim with another insurance company, they might tell you, 'Just hop on the bus, Gus'; or even worse, they might simply slip out the back, Jack. At Allstate, we believe that putting the customer first is the key, Lee. That's Allstate, Stan."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 01:04:40 PM »

(i'm obsessed with this now)

from television without pity:

And, from the old "The Hearing Is the First Thing to Go" category: So Dennis "El 24 Presidente" Haysbert has been the spokesman for Allstate for some time now, and I just recently realized that at the end of the commercials, what he says is, "That's Allstate's stand." See, all this time, I thought that he was on some kind of bizarre, hipster, "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" kick and that he was saying, "That's Allstate, Stan." Huh. I guess that's why he never moved on to other lyrics from the song, like "When you try to register an auto claim with another insurance company, they might tell you, 'Just hop on the bus, Gus'; or even worse, they might simply slip out the back, Jack. At Allstate, we believe that putting the customer first is the key, Lee. That's Allstate, Stan."

That is genius.