Author Topic: 23 Jan 2006--we're "stuck in the 70s" aka 1977  (Read 8906 times)

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
23 Jan 2006--we're "stuck in the 70s" aka 1977
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 10:43:40 AM »
Bill Murray JINX on Dave! He owes me a Coke.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 10:44:02 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
LOL!

Oh, Meeco (or however he spells it).

Star Waaaars
Nothing but
Staaar Waaarrrss!

Morey/Murray JINX!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 10:45:45 AM »
Wow. I really hate that "What are you- a Foghead?!" commercial.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 11:00:09 AM »
Wow. I really hate that "What are you- a Foghead?!" commercial.

Thank you!  For one thing, it's badly made -- all the voices (it's supposed to be a bunch of people, right?) sound like the same two guys. There's a potentially very funny bit there, about the generation gap among KFOG listeners -- but they seem a little afraid of really going there.  'Cause that would stir up too much shit.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 11:06:12 AM »
Yer welcome! You know you can count on me to bitch about stupid commercials.

oh! The radio commercials I REALLY hate are those wretched NBC ones where they pretend to be a "morning zoo" radio show and talk about all the great NBC shows that'll be on that night. GAAAHHHH!
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
so...
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 11:09:41 AM »

oh! The radio commercials I REALLY hate are those wretched NBC ones where they pretend to be a "morning zoo" radio show and talk about all the great NBC shows that'll be on that night. GAAAHHHH!

give KFOG a little credit for riffing satirically on those LAME NBC commercials!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: so...
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 11:15:04 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

give KFOG a little credit for riffing satirically on those LAME NBC commercials!

Are you saying that "what are you, a Foghead" spot is a spoof of the NBC spots?  Because I don't think so.

Flame war!

And while I'm bitching -- what happened to the Bonus Track?    Did Dave get tired of Annalisa showing him up every day? :wink:

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 11:16:08 AM »

I'm willing to admit the glass is maybe half-full- but I still ain't drinkin it.  :D
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
chicken or the egg?
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 02:04:05 PM »
I'm willing to admit the glass is maybe half-full- but I still ain't drinkin it.  :D

well, is there some disagreement about which came first?  The stupid NBC commercials or the stupid KFOG commercials?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: chicken or the egg?
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 02:21:16 PM »

well, is there some disagreement about which came first?  The stupid NBC commercials or the stupid KFOG commercials?

The NBC spots came first; they've been around for months, whereas the KFOG spots began last week (to promo "Rock of Ages Week"). But the NBC spots are a faux-"Morning Zoo" radio show where a "zany" Morning Zoo Crew talks about whatever's on NBC that evening.  The KFOG spots are a bunch of friends/co-workers arguing about music.  I don't even think the KFOG promos are inspired by the NBC spots, much less an attempt to satirize them.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2006, 02:41:45 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
"Peg" o' my heart!  proxy of cairo.  It's her favorite foreign movie.

thanks! just returned from tahoe. i'm now an official snowboarder - yay!
happy birthday, beej!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: chicken or the egg?
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2006, 03:26:54 PM »
The NBC spots came first; they've been around for months, whereas the KFOG spots began last week (to promo "Rock of Ages Week"). But the NBC spots are a faux-"Morning Zoo" radio show where a "zany" Morning Zoo Crew talks about whatever's on NBC that evening.  The KFOG spots are a bunch of friends/co-workers arguing about music.  I don't even think the KFOG promos are inspired by the NBC spots, much less an attempt to satirize them.

Just so we're clear, that's exactly what I think they are, but since I don't listen to morning zoo radio, perhaps I'm not picking up that vibe.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2006, 10:36:47 PM »
BOS KC, my favorite boogie man.

"John Madden looks like a slit watermelon." Which goes great with turducken...

Listening on the replay, I'm concurring on the KC BOS -- there's something so weirdly evil about the song, it fascinates me -- but an HM to Climax Blues Band (and proxy BOS from Mshray if he didn't pop in, I haven't checked yet) because it's all about the NI-HI-HITE.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 10:45:35 PM »
OMFG.  I didn't think Dave still had it in him to play Meco's "Star Wars/Cantina Band Theme" in its entirety.  I used to have a pact with my friend Brandi that if we were both still single at 30, we'd do a jig down the aisle to the Mos Eisley theme.  (She failed to live up to her end of the bargain, marrying well before her expiration date.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2006, 07:38:10 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
OMFG.  I didn't think Dave still had it in him to play Meco's "Star Wars/Cantina Band Theme" in its entirety.  I used to have a pact with my friend Brandi that if we were both still single at 30, we'd do a jig down the aisle to the Mos Eisley theme.  (She failed to live up to her end of the bargain, marrying well before her expiration date.)

I've been bringing disco-compilation CDs to the gym on the weekends -- the front-desk guy is straight (and an erstwhile metalhead) but he used to work at Muscle System so he developed an appreciation for dance music. Go figure.

Anyway, one CD we heard this week had the Meco "Star Wars" in a lengthy 12" mix I'd never heard before -- WAAAAY too many cheezy sound effects -- but fun nonetheless.