Author Topic: 3 Jan 2006: 1996  (Read 9413 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
3 Jan 2006: 1996
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2006, 10:40:31 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I'm torn on the Joan Osborn -- thought it was extraordinary at the time, now I'm just really tired of it.

i always preferred "saint teresa."

She was fab and gear in the Motown Funk Brothers tribute, too.  (I went to see it in Boston with a guy I was dating at the time. They showed her name and he, being unfamiliar, whispered to me, "Is she related to The Osbournes?")
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2006, 10:41:39 AM »
My overall BOS was Sun Volt, but I didn't realize that I'd missed the Eels.  They'da gotten at least a VHM if I hadn't tuned in late.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2006, 10:44:20 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I'm torn on the Joan Osborn -- thought it was extraordinary at the time, now I'm just really tired of it.

i always preferred "saint teresa."

She was fab and gear in the Motown Funk Brothers tribute, too.  (I went to see it in Boston with a guy I was dating at the time. They showed her name and he, being unfamiliar, whispered to me, "Is she related to The Osbournes?")

That's even worse than not knowing Fargo :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
bingo beej!
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2006, 10:57:56 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
So, Geoff- is your avatar a pic of the weird Times Square ball from the NYE celebration? I saw a closeup of it on the news and it reminded me of something Blofeld would threaten the world with.
INDEED
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2006, 11:09:37 AM »
So, Geoff- is your avatar a pic of the weird Times Square ball from the NYE celebration? I saw a closeup of it on the news and it reminded me of something Blofeld would threaten the world with.

INDEED

Bitchin! Yeah, that thing's a little freaky what with the moving paddle-thingys and all.
nakes? On my plane?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2006, 12:46:38 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
My overall BOS was Sun Volt, but I didn't realize that I'd missed the Eels.  They'da gotten at least a VHM if I hadn't tuned in late.

Mark, we're doing the separated at birth thing again. DM must have started the set a little early, cuz I missed both the Eels and the Sheryl Crow tune (also my fave of hers, but that's not saying much).

Btw, it's SON Volt. No, I don't know what Jay meant by that. He's all about obscure lyrics and stuff.

I was gonna call Dave out on missing the year on both Drown and the Joan Osborn tune (I have very distinct sledgehammers of both songs from 1995) but on checking AMG, they did both chart in 96. So he gets a pass.  (I think we heard Drown in the other 96 set from last September, which would make it the first 96 Katrina, having appeared in 100% of the sets of that vintage. I'll check and report back.)

ETA: My selective memory strikes again. Drown was not in the other 96 set, but the Jars of Clay song was, as well as a different Gin Blossoms song (Follow You Down), so I think we have katrinas in the making, most certainly.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2006, 01:28:03 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "mshray"

Mark, we're doing the separated at birth thing again. DM must have started the set a little early, cuz I missed both the Eels and the Sheryl Crow tune (also my fave of hers, but that's not saying much).

Btw, it's SON Volt. No, I don't know what Jay meant by that. He's all about obscure lyrics and stuff.

I was gonna call Dave out on missing the year on both Drown and the Joan Osborn tune (I have very distinct sledgehammers of both songs from 1995) but on checking AMG, they did both chart in 96. So he gets a pass.  (I think we heard Drown in the other 96 set from last September, which would make it the first 96 Katrina, having appeared in 100% of the sets of that vintage. I'll check and report back.)

ETA: My selective memory strikes again. Drown was not in the other 96 set, but the Jars of Clay song was, as well as a different Gin Blossoms song (Follow You Down), so I think we have katrinas in the making, most certainly.

I was gonna say I thought the Jars of Clay tune was in our last '96 foray, 'cause I remember dissing it while poc praised it.  But I thought maybe that was a Ginger '96 set.

So, I ask again: does Dave think no one remembers we visited '96 before? Or has he himself forgotten that he did a '96 set?  And does this mean 1997 won't get added to the wheel until next year?

There was a time when there was a 10-year gap between current date and most-recent-year-on-wheel, but several years ago they narrowed it to nine. Frankly, I think making it 10 again is a fine idea.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the ball
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2006, 04:15:33 PM »
INDEED
Bitchin! Yeah, that thing's a little freaky what with the moving paddle-thingys and all.

Yeah, it would be cool if I could do an animated gif of the ball, eh?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 09:47:26 AM »
Speaking of animated gifs- check out this nifty avatar I boosted from some kid's LiveJournal site....
nakes? On my plane?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
lest we forget...
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 09:55:50 AM »
1/3/06 - Tuesday!  A new year on the wheel...1996!!

Eels - Novocaine for the Soul
Sheryl Crow - A Change
Gin Blossoms - Til I Hear it From You
Radio Head - High & Dry (BEST OF SET!!)
Del Amitri - Roll to Me
Jars of Clay - Flood
Beck - Where it's At
Son Volt - Drown
Joan Osborne - One of Us
Subdudes - All the Time in the World
BONUS TRACK:  Social Distortion - I Was Wrong
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 09:59:40 AM »
Speaking of animated gifs- check out this nifty avatar I boosted from some kid's LiveJournal site....

David Edelstein of slate.com tells a great story about how he was staying at a B&B in North Carolina or someplace about 10 years ago with his then-girlfriend. He went down to breakfast one morning and there was George Takei with a handsome young man who was obviously more than a friend. Edelstein said they chatted about the local historical sites and antique shops and then Edelstein went back upstairs where his girlfriend was still asleep. He says to her, "honey, Mr Sulu is downstairs and he's gay!" and she rolled over and said "that's nice, dear..."

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2006, 10:10:48 AM »
He says to her, "honey, Mr Sulu is downstairs and he's gay!" and she rolled over and said "that's nice, dear..."

LOL! That's hilarious. As a Trek fan I would have felt the same way.

I *swear* I saw James Doohan at that drag bar where Martuni's is now, like, well over 10 years ago. He wasn't performing, mind you. He was havin a drink. I was there because the flighty, speed-addicted actress I was madly in love with decided she was a drag queen and had convinced her friends who ran the show to let her perform.
nakes? On my plane?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2006, 10:19:12 AM »
the flighty, speed-addicted actress I was madly in love with

The heart wants what the heart wants...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2006, 10:25:18 AM »
The heart wants what the heart wants...

Fair enough. Damn, but she put me through hell.
nakes? On my plane?