Author Topic: Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987  (Read 6733 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2005, 10:36:47 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
ETA: if this is the case, it would be attributable to the aging of the populace, and the fact that people who were born in the 70s are now skewing into the KFOG demographic. The general KFOG playlist seems to be containing far more 80s-vintage songs than it did even five years ago.

methinks that is a dead-on analysis, sir.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2005, 10:39:17 AM »
It's a Starship fix for our pal Gaz--took me a minute or two to realize who this was. (Although I'm sure all of us would rather be hearing Miracles again.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2005, 10:39:41 AM »
Spotting the vinyl on the Starship.  Sounds really crackly and a little warped to my ears.

P.S.  Produced by the real Narada.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2005, 10:40:48 AM »
I don't know how much or even if Gaz will object, but in my book "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" is perhaps the worst song ever nominated for an Oscar.  It might come from the worst movie ever to produce a nominated song.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2005, 10:41:41 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Spotting the vinyl on the Starship.  Sounds really crackly and a little warped to my ears.

P.S.  Produced by the real Narada.

and co-written by She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 10:43:31 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I don't know how much or even if Gaz will object, but in my book "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" is perhaps the worst song ever nominated for an Oscar.  It might come from the worst movie ever to produce a nominated song.

Oh, I dunno -- that "hymn" to Satan from The Omen is pretty damned awful.  Not to mention "You Light Up My Life". I'll get out my Oscar book tonite and compile a list.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 10:50:54 AM »
I sure wish that our avatars weren't interactively updated.  It would be cool to look back on this page someday & see all the santa hats.

Agreed, but logistically it would be kind of a pain (wouldn't it?) to maintain server copies of all the past avatars over time.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 10:56:41 AM »
I sure wish that our avatars weren't interactively updated.  It would be cool to look back on this page someday & see all the santa hats.

Agreed, but logistically it would be kind of a pain (wouldn't it?) to maintain server copies of all the past avatars over time.

I can think of several ways to accomplish it, but it hardly seems worth the effort.  And eventually you'd run into space/clutter issues.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Thurs Dec 22--it's 1987
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 11:10:09 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

I can think of several ways to accomplish it, but it hardly seems worth the effort.  And eventually you'd run into space/clutter issues.

I think server space is probably the main issue. Even at 78KB max per avatar, when you think about the number of different ones we've seen just in the past 11 months (yes, we've been using this app for only 11 months--a year ago we were still on discserver--it seems like ages, don't it?), it would add up to a decent amount of space.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 11:12:33 AM »

Well, everyone can email their avatars, and I'll upload and post from the 10at10club directory if you like.  Is POC Santa-compliant yet?
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: avatars
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 11:17:18 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Well, everyone can email their avatars, and I'll upload and post from the 10at10club directory if you like.  Is POC Santa-compliant yet?

I gotta start using that on my kids:

"Adrian! Gabriel!  CUT THAT OUT!!!  That is NOT Santa-compliant!!!"

but I didn't mean to actually challenge you to keep the avatars up, I was just being wistful.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 12:35:46 PM »
I gotta start using that on my kids:

"Adrian! Gabriel!  CUT THAT OUT!!!  That is NOT Santa-compliant!!!"

but I didn't mean to actually challenge you to keep the avatars up, I was just being wistful.

Let's just assemble them for a sort of 10at10club holiday card!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 03:36:26 PM »

i went kicking and screaming - i'm about as christmas as a muslim jew atop a mountain in nepal - but gaz sent me an updated catherine. so there it is.

i'm beginning to look a lot like falwell
everywhere i go....

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 04:19:28 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

i went kicking and screaming - i'm about as christmas as a muslim jew atop a mountain in nepal - but gaz sent me an updated catherine. so there it is.

everywhere i go....

I thought I recognized that hat--looks just like the one Mike and I were/are sporting. Thanks, Gaz for getting the whole club in Santa compliance!
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 05:23:30 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

everywhere i go....

I thought I recognized that hat--looks just like the one Mike and I were/are sporting. Thanks, Gaz for getting the whole club in Santa compliance!

Now, I just want to know, are we all now participants in the War against Christmas?  I mean, should we replace the Santa hats with Crowns of Thorns, or what?  Don't want the fundies raiding the joint, ya know?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing