Author Topic: R&R HOF inductees announced  (Read 33814 times)

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: R&R HOF inductees announced
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 08:47:36 PM »
G-n-R getting in is definitely a sham.
Guns N Roses is one of my all-time favorite bands. They're the closest thing to an American Led Zeppelin. Plus, Slash seems like a real human being on FB. Yay!

That's pretty much my take, as well.  If I had been a teenager in the mid to late 80's, they would have been my Led Zeppelin.  Plus, they were a "real" rock'n'roll band, warts and all (excess may not be rebellion, but it is rock and roll, in this context). 

Still, I would have voted in The Cure, first.

I think my issue is that G-n-R's active career really wasn't very long. A couple of memorable classics, sure, but didn't they really only release three albums prior to their hiatus? Sort of like Sandy Koufax and the Baseball HOF, if his career was half as long.
IE, so many of the best American bands had very short shelf lives: Velvet Underground, Big Star, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix Experience (part British, I know), Big Brother and the Holding Company, for eXample. You'd be excluding a lot of great acts if longevity was a necessity.

You're right of course. The acts you name are from my childhood or before, so I think of them as being before my time. Guns-n-Roses, on the other hand, had their heyday entirely within the time I was in college, which may explain why I would put them on par with voting Mark Fidrych for the HOF.

I suppose I should read up on what theoretically makes a R-n-R HOFer. I am probably thinking about this way too hard.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2015, 10:16:52 AM »
Resurrecting another aged thread to post this:

http://rockhall.com/inductees/

Seems like the list of inductees this year is focused on catching up on some of the acts that have been skipped over in past years. I'd say Yes is probably a good bet, now that Chris Squire is dead, and probably the Cars and Chicago. I'd love to see Los Lobos make it, but that might be wishful thinking.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2015, 10:40:52 AM »

Seems like the list of inductees this year is focused on catching up on some of the acts that have been skipped over in past years. I'd say Yes is probably a good bet, now that Chris Squire is dead, and probably the Cars and Chicago. I'd love to see Los Lobos make it, but that might be wishful thinking.

As I noted in 'snipeland, all the "old" acts  are artists you're shocked aren't already in.  With the success of Straight Outta Compton, I have to assume NWA are a shoo-in.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »

As I noted in 'snipeland, all the "old" acts  are artists you're shocked aren't already in.  With the success of Straight Outta Compton, I have to assume NWA are a shoo-in.

It does seem like a lot of this year's list of nominees is by way of doing a bit of house-cleaning, catching up with a lot of acts that were fairly popular in their day and should have been in long ago (Yes, Deep Purple, Chicago, the Cars, etc. etc.). Given that, I think the only hope Los Lobos has, say, is if they're more popular with the voters than they ever were with the general public.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2015, 09:44:03 AM »

It does seem like a lot of this year's list of nominees is by way of doing a bit of house-cleaning, catching up with a lot of acts that were fairly popular in their day and should have been in long ago (Yes, Deep Purple, Chicago, the Cars, etc. etc.). Given that, I think the only hope Los Lobos has, say, is if they're more popular with the voters than they ever were with the general public.

A friend-of-a-friend on FB said that the voting process for RnRHoF is as corrupt as it gets -- it's basically whoever Jann Wenner wants; while Ahmet Ehrtegun was alive he was able to rein Wenner in to some extent but now that he's gone Wenner rules. And if Wenner has a grudge against you, you're toast.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 17, 2015, 10:20:58 AM »
They've released the list for 2016:

Deep Purple
Chicago
Cheap Trick (!)
Steve Miller
NWA (it's amazing what a feature film can do for one's electability)

And Yes? No.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2015, 10:34:13 AM »

Chicago

I heard the odds of them making it in were 25 (OR 6) TO 4.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2015, 11:27:08 AM »

Chicago

I heard the odds of them making it in were 25 (OR 6) TO 4.

Heh.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing