Author Topic: 11 March 2015: an "encore" from... 2003  (Read 3165 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
11 March 2015: an "encore" from... 2003
« on: March 11, 2015, 07:59:01 AM »
I have to assume it's a '90s day.  Wonder if we'll get a classic "luck" set for Friday the 13th?

jeezus, early start? WTF?  song 2 (?) is Jet,"Are You Gonna..." so it's '03

Wednesday June 4, 2014 - 2003

(Movie: Pirates of the Caribbean)
 1.  White Stripes- Seven Nation Army (B.O.S. Tie)
   (Mov: How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days)
  2.  Jet- Are You Gonna Be My Girl
  3.  The Thrills- Big Sur
(TV: Arrested Development)
  4.  Jack Johnson- Times Like These
  5.  No Doubt- It's My Life
    (News: War in Iraq/ Dixie Chicks protest
  6.  Dixie Chicks- Landslide
(TV: Interview with Dixie Chicks)
  7.  Radiohead- There There
(Movie: Pirates of the Caribbean)
  8.  Aqualung- Brighter Than Sunshine
  9.  Jayhawks- Save It For a Rainy Day (B.O.S Tie)
(TV: The Daily Show Lewis Black-Freedom Fries, etc)
10. Liam Lynch- United States of Whatever

no need whatsoever to hear this one again.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 10:25:03 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 11 March 2015: an "encore" from... 2003
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »
I have to assume it's a '90s day.  Wonder if we'll get a classic "luck" set for Friday the 13th?

The encore selection during the move has struck me less as one of curation and more
of "this is the first box of 10@10 shows we could find."  (I realize the recordings are
"digital," but unless they've been storing their archive with a third-party Internet-based
service (unlikely), there are still all the usual issues when moving assets.)  My guess
would be 60-40 against a theme set, and otherwise it will be one of the two from 2012.
No Pi Day set this year, and next week is the Feast of San Patricio.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 12:39:16 PM »

The encore selection during the move has struck me less as one of curation and more
of "this is the first box of 10@10 shows we could find."  (I realize the recordings are
"digital," but unless they've been storing their archive with a third-party Internet-basedservice (unlikely), there are still all the usual issues when moving assets.)  My guess would be 60-40 against a theme set, and otherwise it will be one of the two from 2012. No Pi Day set this year, and next week is the Feast of San Patricio.

Well, but we got Valentine's, Movie Monday and "80s Copycats", and most of the sets we've heard have been better-than-average -- had they been truly random, more would have sucked. And some have been from 2012 and others more recent. Maybe I'm giving the PD too much credit but he seems (from the new sets we got just before this all started) to have grasped the fact that some Fogheads expect diversity and the occasional "oh wow" track (which DC seemed opposed to). Wishful thinking, maybe, but the fact that she suddenly started taking requests again nearly every night (after a long stretch of not) seemed like a sign of intelligent life to me.

There was a discussion in 'snipeland this morning, some folks insisting KFOG is trying to "kill" 10@10 with repeats (as if the average Foghead takes reruns as the personal affront that 'snipes do). If they wanted to kill it, it would be gone, I argued, and they wouldn't've brought back the marathon. The "encores" IMHO are simply the result of a typical Cumulus-is-hella-cheap clusterfuck.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 12:48:20 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 01:23:54 PM »
There was a discussion in 'snipeland this morning, some folks insisting KFOG is trying to "kill" 10@10 with repeats (as if the average Foghead takes reruns as the personal affront that 'snipes do). If they wanted to kill it, it would be gone, I argued, and they wouldn't've brought back the marathon. The "encores" IMHO are simply the result of a typical Cumulus-is-hella-cheap clusterfuck.

I gotta go with this. What happened to Connected would have happened to 10@10.

Maybe I'm giving the PD too much credit but he seems (from the new sets we got just before this all started) to have grasped the fact that some Fogheads expect diversity and the occasional "oh wow" track (which DC seemed opposed to).

Yep, now if we can only more fully diversify those 80's tunes!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »
"digital," but unless they've been storing their archive with a third-party Internet-basedservice (unlikely), there are still all the usual issues when moving assets.)  My guess would be 60-40 against a theme set, and otherwise it will be one of the two from 2012. No Pi Day set this year, and next week is the Feast of San Patricio.
Well, but we got Valentine's, Movie Monday and "80s Copycats", and most of the sets we've heard have been better-than-average -- had they been truly random, more would have sucked.

That's where we differ.  I have found most of the encores to be mediocre.  The Valentine's and 1971 shows
were the notable bright spots.

And some have been from 2012 and others more recent.

The majority have been from 2012 in what might be regarded as AL's worst period, including five from a one-month
span.  Most of the rest have been from 2014.

Maybe I'm giving the PD too much credit but he seems (from the new sets we got just before this all started) to have grasped the fact that some Fogheads expect diversity and the occasional "oh wow" track (which DC seemed opposed to). Wishful thinking, maybe, but the fact that she suddenly started taking requests again nearly every night (after a long stretch of not) seemed like a sign of intelligent life to me.

There does seem to be a slight shift, and one hopes that it continues.

Bring back AL 1.0!
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:05:47 AM »

of "this is the first box of 10@10 shows we could find."

I agree with this, but I’m glad of it because during previous stretches of 10@10 Encores, they’ve mostly been from 2014. It’s refreshing to hear sets from 2010-2012 again.

Well, but we got Valentine's, Movie Monday and "80s Copycats", and most of the sets we've heard have been better-than-average -- had they been truly random, more would have sucked. And some have been from 2012 and others more recent. Maybe I'm giving the PD too much credit but he seems (from the new sets we got just before this all started) to have grasped the fact that some Fogheads expect diversity and the occasional "oh wow" track (which DC seemed opposed to). Wishful thinking, maybe, but the fact that she suddenly started taking requests again nearly every night (after a long stretch of not) seemed like a sign of intelligent life to me.

Valentine’s and MM were picked, but I could see the other ones being pretty much random. I agree that 10@10s have improved under the new PD. Re: DC 10@10s I think the issue wasn’t so much that he was opposed to the occasional “oh wow” track, as plenty of 2012 AL 10@10s, and even Renee sets had those -- IMO the problems were that a) that we had one “oh wow” track and 8-9 LNs, and b) the flow was horrible. These were, of course, exacerbated in the Renee era since she had little to no creative control over them.

I gotta go with this. What happened to Connected would have happened to 10@10.

Agreed here.

That's where we differ.  I have found most of the encores to be mediocre.  The Valentine's and 1971 shows
were the notable bright spots.

The majority have been from 2012 in what might be regarded as AL's worst period, including five from a one-month
span.  Most of the rest have been from 2014.

Although AL 1.0’s sets were amazing, I thought her 2012 shows were also good. Once DC laid down the hammer she was still able to work within the constraints to come up with some extremely well-rounded sets. IMO, her weakest period was her first couple of months back this time.  (Disclaimer: I’m only judging by her 1979-ish or later sets.)