Author Topic: I didn't know that!  (Read 65207 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2007, 02:14:01 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I've been listening to day to 2 Dusty Springfield double-CDS, Dusty in Memphis (the 2nd CD is bonus tracks) and Dusty in London.  Listening to Memphis led me to do some googling -- I never knew that both "I Don't Want To Hear it Anymore" and "Just One Smile" (I know the latter from the first BS&T LP) are early Randy Newman compositions. Interesting web page detailing covers of his early stuff:

http://www.randynewman.info/biography/other.html

I have those same comps, and yeah, Dusty "got" Randy in a way few others did.  (TANC: I was watching Dusty vids on YouTube last night, and her post-"What Have I Done to Deserve This" efforts, um, lacked effort.)  IDWTHIA is a major highlight that deserved more exposure.  "And the walls ... are much too thin."

I remember a bizarre pairing on some '70s variety show: Peggy Lee and some actor (I wanna say Anthony Quinn) doing a duet of Randy's "Love Story" (We'll have a kid/Or maybe we'll rent one/He's gotta be straight/'Cause we don't want a bent one).  Ms. Lee also did a cover of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" on an Ed Suliivan "salute to the Beatles" from around the same time.  I'll have to go look for those on YouTube.

BTW, can I assume Dusty's "You've Got a Friend" pre-dates both Ms King's and JT's?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2007, 03:37:08 PM »
BTW, can I assume Dusty's "You've Got a Friend" pre-dates both Ms King's and JT's?

Ooh, good question.  I'll have to look into that.  (What a great extended coda on Dusty's rendition.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 11:50:07 AM »
wow, this was news to me -- I just heard Bob Shannon discuss this on CBS-FM.  The Stylistics' "Betcha By Golly Wow" was orig recorded in 1970 as a comeback bid by Connie Stevens (!) as "Keep Going Strong", and the great Thom Bell produced both versions!

Gaz may have known this, I'll bet it's been dealt with on "Lost 45s", but "I did not know that!"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2007, 09:07:20 PM »
wow, this was news to me -- I just heard Bob Shannon discuss this on CBS-FM.  The Stylistics' "Betcha By Golly Wow" was orig recorded in 1970 as a comeback bid by Connie Stevens (!) as "Keep Going Strong", and the great Thom Bell produced both versions!

Gaz may have known this, I'll bet it's been dealt with on "Lost 45s", but "I did not know that!"

I had no idea about any of that!  He didn't play the Stevens cut, did he?  (Was it actually released?)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I had no idea about any of that!  He didn't play the Stevens cut, did he?  (Was it actually released?)

Apparently it was indeed released. E-mail Barry Scott, pronto!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 09:18:39 PM »
So, I was explaining an Easy Rider reference to one of my younger cow orkers (okay, they are all younger than me, but still), and went to the imdb so I could pass off the link.  And Phil Spector was in the movie.

I did not know that.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »
So WLNG just played Gladys/Pips, "Daddy Could Swear..." and I went looking for lyrics, only to discover that there's a cover version by... Pearl Jam?  WTF??  Anyone ever hear this?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
I didn't know that!
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2007, 12:44:22 PM »
From a "Hz So Good" newsletter:

that was Caron Wheeler, later of Soul II Soul, singing in the video for Elvis Costello’s 1983 hit "Everyday I Write the Book."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: I didn't know that!
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2007, 03:51:36 PM »
From another "Hz So Good" newsletter, regarding Ray Stevens' "Ahab the Arab":

"Which, at the time on KEWB in Oakland, Casey Kasem, of Arabic heritage, pronounced “Ahab the AR-ab.” He wasn’t taking none of that."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »
From another "Hz So Good" newsletter, regarding Ray Stevens' "Ahab the Arab":

"Which, at the time on KEWB in Oakland, Casey Kasem, of Arabic heritage, pronounced “Ahab the AR-ab.” He wasn’t taking none of that."

"I want a goddam concerted effort... I want someone to use their f---in' brain... and not come out of a f---in' uptempo record with a goddam racial slur!"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »
Per a "stories behind the songs" feature on WLNG, The Animals hit "We Gotta Getb Out of This Place" was written (by Mann & Weil) for... the Righteous Bros, who turned it down.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2008, 04:05:23 PM »
Earlier this morning Mike asked about Magical Mystery Tour on the Drive thread, and I looked it up on Wikipedia.  On second glance I noticed something that definitely qualifies as an "I Didn't Know That":

Now I *did* know that Death Cab For Cutie took their name from a song by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (written by Neil Innes of Monty Python fame), and I've even heard the song.  But what I *didn't* know was that they were featured performing this song in the film Magical Mystery Tour!!!

Wiki sez: The film is punctuated by musical interludes which include The Beatles performing "I Am the Walrus" wearing animal masks, George Harrison singing "Blue Jay Way" while waiting on Blue Jay Way Road and the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band performing "Death Cab For Cutie".

Anyone else already know that?

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2008, 08:45:15 PM »
Earlier this morning Mike asked about Magical Mystery Tour on the Drive thread, and I looked it up on Wikipedia.  On second glance I noticed something that definitely qualifies as an "I Didn't Know That":

Now I *did* know that Death Cab For Cutie took their name from a song by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (written by Neil Innes of Monty Python fame), and I've even heard the song.  But what I *didn't* know was that they were featured performing this song in the film Magical Mystery Tour!!!

Wiki sez: The film is punctuated by musical interludes which include The Beatles performing "I Am the Walrus" wearing animal masks, George Harrison singing "Blue Jay Way" while waiting on Blue Jay Way Road and the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band performing "Death Cab For Cutie".

yes, I did -- one of the reasons I'm dying to see MMT.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 12:07:30 AM »

yes, I did -- one of the reasons I'm dying to see MMT.

Likewise, and I confess to having found it one of many dah-READ-ful moments in the show.  By all means watch it, but you'll deem it unwatchable.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 12:11:40 AM by Gazoo »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2008, 12:08:23 AM »
Or, what the hell, I'll play SPOILER again:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Omc9lkSjYjc