Author Topic: 8 Dec 2014: it's... 1971!  (Read 6761 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 8 Dec 2014: it's... 1971!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
Harold & Maude --> "Express Yourself".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 10:37:11 AM »
And we close it out with Pops & Mavis and the family: Respec' Yo'sef!

Not a rarity, but good to hear regardless.
Let's get right to it.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 10:42:35 AM »
There's a Foghead, probably GS, who just gave hell to Renee when she was doing 10@10 but praises AL to the skies even when she plays the same FF-heavy sets so despised during the Renee tenure. I find that interesting.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »
There's a Foghead, probably GS, who just gave hell to Renee when she was doing 10@10 but praises AL to the skies even when she plays the same FF-heavy sets so despised during the Renee tenure. I find that interesting.

I'm not gonna defend the song selection (I never need to hear "Joy to the World" again, or "Imagine" for that matter) but as others have said, it's the presentation -- clips, segues -- that matters. AL cares how it sounds, even if she's playing whatever songs she's told to play.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 10:47:52 AM »

I'm not gonna defend the song selection (I never need to hear "Joy to the World" again, or "Imagine" for that matter) but as others have said, it's the presentation -- clips, segues -- that matters. AL cares how it sounds, even if she's playing whatever songs she's told to play.

The fact that one has a real FB interaction whereas the other didn't speaks volumes.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »

The fact that one has a real FB interaction whereas the other didn't speaks volumes.

Both true statements. I just find it interesting that the FF-laden sets themselves, not just the presentation or personality behind them, are praised as stellar or phenomenal. Also the extreme contrast in rhetoric from this particular poster.
Slipping into something

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 11:00:24 AM »

Both true statements. I just find it interesting that the FF-laden sets themselves, not just the presentation or personality behind them, are praised as stellar or phenomenal. Also the extreme contrast in rhetoric from this particular poster.

Best advice I ever received at work dealt with a personality like that:

"Consider the source".

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 11:02:04 AM »

Best advice I ever received at work dealt with a personality like that:

"Consider the source".

No question
Slipping into something

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 04:07:44 PM »
12/8/14 Monday!  Imagining...1971!!

1.  Badfinger- Day After Day
   2.  Harry Nilsson- Gotta Get Up
(TV: All In the Family)
   3.  The Undisputed Truth- Smiling Faces Sometimes
(News: Pres Nixon wage freeze)
   4.  Ringo Starr- It Don't Come Easy
   5.  Marvin Gaye- What's Goin' On?
(News: Alabama Gov Wallace against school desgregation/busing)
   6.  John Lennon- Crippled Inside (B.O.S! Tie)
(TV: Dick Cavett Show w/John Lennon)
   7.  John Lennon- Imagine  (B.O.S! Tie)
(Movie: Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory "Pure Imagination)
   8.  Three Dog Night- Joy to the World
   9.  Carole King- Beautiful
(Movie: Harold and Maude)
 10.  Staple Singers- Respect Yourself
Tuned to a natural E