Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 226988 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #375 on: September 06, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
Sadly, WGN pre-empted CST this week, so I missed out on an ep featuring the Staple Singers.

But VH-1 Soul is repeating their all-Prince-all-the-time weekend; right now it's an hour of "Prince's Women" -- we've had Vanity, Apollonia, and OMFG it's Sheena Easton's "Sugar Walls"! and her "Strut" too! I'm awash in delightfully cheezy '80s-ness.

Did you get "Manic Monday"?  I went on a Bangles kick yesterday, listening to their greatest-hits comp and marvelling at the Beatliciousness of "Hero Takes a Fall."

No Bangles while I was watching, but we did get Taja Seville's wonderful "Love is Contagious". Agreed on "Hero Takes a Fall", and from the same LP their fab version of Katrina & the Waves' "Goin' Down to Liverpool".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 13, 2008, 11:27:56 AM »
A summer-of-'86 CST gives us Levert performing "(Pop Pop Pop Pop) Goes My Mind", a #1 R&B hit that never even charted Pop!  James Ingram is yet to come; in the meantime the dancers have been groovin' to (TANC) "Typical Male" and the late great Gwen Guthrie's "Nuthin' Goin' On But the Rent".  Oh, and the Video Of the Week: Lionel Ritchie channelling Fred Astaire in "Dancing on the Ceiling".

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 17, 2008, 11:32:30 PM »
#1 R&B not charting pop is indeed astonishing, and a type of trivia I really dig.  I think the last R&B #1 to miss the Pop Top 40 was Roberta Flack's "Oasis," in that same time period.  But we are close to one now: Jazmine Sullivan's "Need U Bad," #1 R&B the past two weeks, has been stuck in the 40s for a couple weeks, not moving up.  iTunes gave her a promo bump (which is why I know the song; it's a strange reggae-tilted oversung wobbler), so we'll see.

Meantime, I'm currently watching on WLIW a Bill Joel concert on "The Old Grey Whistle Test" from 1978, doing a lot of Stranger songs.  I have to admit that, Billy Joel fan though I've been all my life, it's hard for me to enjoy him in the live setting knowing what a pathetically creepy caricature he'd become in his later years.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 20, 2008, 11:14:33 AM »
You might think a CST headlining Donna Summer and the Staple Singers would be from the mid-'70s, but no.  It's from the summer of '84, and the first record the dancers are groovin' to is... Sheena Easton's "Strut"!  Come on, Cornelius, watcha takin' us for?

But the Staples arrive and they do their fabulous (and criminally under-charted) cover of "Slippery People". DAY-um!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 28, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »
OMGWTFLOL!!!  They just announced the entertainment for the Super Bowl this year and it's...

BROOOOOOCE!!!!

(yeah, I posted this in the Sports Thread too.)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Little Martha
« Reply #380 on: September 28, 2008, 10:52:34 PM »
a different recording of ABB's acoustic gem is used on the new Gallo wine ad.  I don't know who actually are the musicians.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 29, 2008, 06:22:22 PM »
DUUUUUUDES! (and Mark in particular): VH-1 Classic is saluting Rush tonite. An interview special at 7, followed by a 3-hour concert and then another hour of videos. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 01, 2008, 09:13:55 PM »
Just caught James Taylor on Colbert. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to do a whiter version of Jr Walker's "Shotgun" than Peter Frampton did, but JT managed it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 07, 2008, 07:50:14 PM »
Last-minute music alert! VH-1 Classic is showing Monterey Pop at 8:00 Pacific, followed by Don't Look Back with Cate Blanchett Bob Dylan.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 09, 2008, 04:00:41 PM »
Just caught James Taylor on Colbert. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to do a whiter version of Jr Walker's "Shotgun" than Peter Frampton did, but JT managed it.
You mean "(I'm A) Roadrunner"

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 09, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »
This TV note: catch the series premiere of "Life on Mars" tonight at 10pm (9 Central) on abc.  It's about a NYC detective who somehow lands back in 1973.  It stars Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli (from The Sopranos), Lisa Bonet and some good early 70's music.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 09, 2008, 08:28:50 PM »
You mean "(I'm A) Roadrunner"

See? his version was so white it sounded like a different song!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 09, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »
This TV note: catch the series premiere of "Life on Mars" tonight at 10pm (9 Central) on abc.  It's about a NYC detective who somehow lands back in 1973.  It stars Harvey Keitel, Michael Imperioli (from The Sopranos), Lisa Bonet and some good early 70's music.

I don't get to watch weeknight TV due to my work schedule; let me know if it's sustained goodness.  Thx!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 10, 2008, 08:58:24 AM »

I don't get to watch weeknight TV due to my work schedule; let me know if it's sustained goodness.  Thx!

I made a point of watching, though I generally don't watch 10pm shows.  It was good, but I wanted to be more impressed.  Not sure it was good enough for me to make sure I don't miss next weeks ep.  I'll need to find a way to tape it, or maybe find it on demand, because Thursday is softball night, and next week is a 9 oclock game.  Not sure why I don't have DVR, but Comcast takes a simple transaction and clouds it in mystery.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 10, 2008, 09:02:04 AM »

I made a point of watching, though I generally don't watch 10pm shows.  It was good, but I wanted to be more impressed.  Not sure it was good enough for me to make sure I don't miss next weeks ep.  I'll need to find a way to tape it, or maybe find it on demand, because Thursday is softball night, and next week is a 9 oclock game.  Not sure why I don't have DVR, but Comcast takes a simple transaction and clouds it in mystery.

http://www.comcast.com/dvrselect/