Author Topic: Music on TV  (Read 228378 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #270 on: October 21, 2007, 07:59:36 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Obscure Beatle Movie Alert!

For those who have FLIX on cable or satellite, they're showing an interesting triple feature tonight starting at 5pm:

How I Won the War Richard Lester's dark WWI comedy featuring John Lennon.

That'll Be the Day, a sort of British American Graffitti about the '50s, with David Essex and Ringo Starr. (the sort-of-sequel, Stardust, is one of the great forgotten films of the '70s.)

Wonderwall, a late-'60s psychological drama with a George Harrison soundtrack.

program your TiVOs accordingly!

So I'm watching That'll Be the Day (not quite what I expected -- kinda downbeat) and what pops up on the soundtrack but the Who's "Long Live Rock", performed by British pop star Billy Fury (as a character in  the film), with a band that includes Keith Moon on drums! Apparently Townsend wrote the song for the film (made in '73, a year before the Who's version surfaced on "Odds and Sods"). I never knew that.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #271 on: October 21, 2007, 10:50:44 PM »
Obscure Beatle Movie Alert!

For those who have FLIX on cable or satellite, they're showing an interesting triple feature tonight starting at 5pm:

How I Won the War Richard Lester's dark WWI comedy featuring John Lennon.

That'll Be the Day, a sort of British American Graffitti about the '50s, with David Essex and Ringo Starr. (the sort-of-sequel, Stardust, is one of the great forgotten films of the '70s.)

Wonderwall, a late-'60s psychological drama with a George Harrison soundtrack.

program your TiVOs accordingly!

So I'm watching That'll Be the Day (not quite what I expected -- kinda downbeat) and what pops up on the soundtrack but the Who's "Long Live Rock", performed by British pop star Billy Fury (as a character in  the film), with a band that includes Keith Moon on drums! Apparently Townsend wrote the song for the film (made in '73, a year before the Who's version surfaced on "Odds and Sods"). I never knew that.

Definitely a new bit of trivia to me too. Last week I was listening to a collection of Who tracks from the BBC and the last one was from '73--Long Live Rock. It was intro'd as likely being included on their upcoming double album, which would be Quadrophenia and as we know now didn't happen. Rather funny version--Pete sings a couple of lines twice and forgets another entirely--he must have been pissed as a newt.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #272 on: October 27, 2007, 11:41:12 AM »
Another great Classic Soul Train ep in progress: Al Wilson (in a FAB lavender suit) doing his soundalike follow-up to "Show & Tell", "Touch & Go"; The Natural Four (from the Bay Area!) doing the wonderful "Can This Be Real?"; and Kool & the Gang with "H'wood Swinging". Hey! Hey! Hey!

They seem to be showing these in chronological order -- 3 eps in a row  have been from '74.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #273 on: October 27, 2007, 11:44:27 AM »
Another great Classic Soul Train ep in progress: Al Wilson (in a FAB lavender suit) doing his soundalike follow-up to "Show & Tell", "Touch & Go"; The Natural Four (from the Bay Area!) doing the wonderful "Can This Be Real?"; and Kool & the Gang with "H'wood Swinging". Hey! Hey! Hey!

They seem to be showing these in chronological order -- 3 eps in a row  have been from '74.

Turning it on now.  Thanks!  (What channel izzat?)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2007, 10:58:21 AM »
Gaz! OMFG! The "Paul Lynde Halloween Special" (guest starring KISS!) is out on DVD!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/arts/television/28deca.html?_r=1&ref=movies&oref=slogin

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2007, 11:05:02 AM »
Gaz! OMFG! The "Paul Lynde Halloween Special" (guest starring KISS!) is out on DVD!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/arts/television/28deca.html?_r=1&ref=movies&oref=slogin

Heh: Last year I bought it as a bootleg from Midtown Comics for my brother.  Worth seeing once (and no more).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #276 on: October 29, 2007, 11:24:33 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Heh: Last year I bought it as a bootleg from Midtown Comics for my brother.  Worth seeing once (and no more).

I guess the review is more entertaining than the show...

the always game Florence Henderson of "The Brady Bunch” is along for the whole shebang. When not singing a disco version of “That Old Black Magic,” she shares a major lip lock with Mr. Lynde, who’s dressed as “very chic sheik” Florence of Arabia.

Were there any gay actors that Ms. Henderson didn’t kiss back then?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Music on TV
« Reply #277 on: November 03, 2007, 11:20:17 AM »
This week's Soul Train classic is apparently from the fall of '74 -- the dancers are shakin' their moneymakers to Sly's non-hit "Loose Booty", the Meters' "Hey Pocky Way" and the Mighty Clouds of Joy, doing "Time" (new to me, and def in that Trammps-soundalike mode). But the headliners this week are the Fifth Dimension -- they had no hits in '74 so I'm curious to see what songs they do.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
The Who
« Reply #278 on: November 04, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »
last night on VH1, they ran this movie/documentary called "Amazing Journey."  I don't know if it's new or old, but I really enjoyed it, and it had no commercials.  Some totally classic stuff.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Who
« Reply #279 on: November 04, 2007, 06:25:22 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
last night on VH1, they ran this movie/documentary called "Amazing Journey."  I don't know if it's new or old, but I really enjoyed it, and it had no commercials.  Some totally classic stuff.

And tonite at 7, FLIX is showing Quadrophenia.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Who
« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2007, 08:59:27 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

And tonite at 7, FLIX is showing Quadrophenia.

And they're showing it again right now. I'm watching, and I'm looking at the young actor who plays Kevin, the "Rocker" friend of "Mod" Jimmy, and I'm thinking "this kid looks familiar"... turns out to be a *very* young Ray Winstone, who stars as Beowulf in that big-budget CGI/animation spectacle this Friday.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Music on TV
« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2007, 08:02:36 PM »
Not sure if this is old hat, but I'm really diggin' Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival on KTEH right now.  Fundraiser of course.  Dig the set list:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/crossroads2/songlist.html
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 03, 2007, 07:55:18 AM »
Watched John Landis' new docu about Don Rickles last nite on HBO. And guess who opens for Rickles in Vegas these days? "Little" Peggy March -- not so little any more, she's 60, and still doing "I Will Follow Him".

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 08, 2007, 12:51:46 PM »
Not sure if this is old hat, but I'm really diggin' Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival on KTEH right now.  Fundraiser of course.  Dig the set list:

It's on channel 9 (KQED) tonight at 7.  Definitely looking forward to seeing Jeff Beck do "Cause We Have Ended as Lovers."
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 08, 2007, 12:57:38 PM »

It's on channel 9 (KQED) tonight at 7.  Definitely looking forward to seeing Jeff Beck do "Cause We Have Ended as Lovers."

Hey Rod -- KPIG just played a very cool cover of Patty Loveless' "Nothing But the Wheel", which turned out to be Peter Wolf (with Jagger on backing vox). New to me; no idea where that's from or how old it is.