Author Topic: 13 Aug 2014: it's... 1993  (Read 12901 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Aug 2014: it's... 1993
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2014, 01:08:09 PM »
Per AL on FB, BOS Big Head Todd; VHM U2
Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
It seems she felt playing anything but mellow and/or downbeat songs would be disrespectful to the dead.

And I think that unless it's 9/11 or something like that, this trend needs to stop.

DM had it right: we don't do "death" on 10@10 (although he broke that rule a couple of times, most memorably for Robin Gibb and George Harrison).

It's fine to play a few clips or a song in tribute to the departed, but to give the whole set a maudlin, funereal tone is not good, sez I.

And, if memory serves, he honored Gibb and Harrison with what were in essence tribute sets.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2014, 01:35:20 PM »
I'm a little slow this morning: when people on FB were voting Robin BOS, for a second I thought they were talking about Robin S. or Robyn. "Did I miss Show Me Love?"

The fact that there were two major hits entitled "Show Me Love" which were not covers of each other, and by artists with two extremely similar names, less than five years apart, but is not often commented on, is indicative of something, although I'm not sure what.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 10:42:20 PM »
It seems she felt playing anything but mellow and/or downbeat songs would be disrespectful to the dead.
And I think that unless it's 9/11 or something like that, this trend needs to stop.

The first inkling I had that something had happened on 9/11 was the comment Dave made
setting up that morning's 10@10, and the subsequent song list.  I still had no idea what it
was until a friend called me and told me to turn on CNN.  I had a half-used videotape, so I
stuck it in the VCR and hit record.

I still haven't watched that tape.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »
DM had it right: we don't do "death" on 10@10 (although he broke that rule a couple of times, most memorably for Robin Gibb and George Harrison).

It's fine to play a few clips or a song in tribute to the departed, but to give the whole set a maudlin, funereal tone is not good, sez I.

Based on Robin's public persona, he would probably have wanted people to party, play upbeat
music, and celebrate his (and their) life.

And why pick 1993?  Mrs. Doubtfire is far from his best movie.  I'd go for Dead Poets Society,
one of my favorites, but there's Good Morning Vietnam, or Good Will Hunting, or, or... I mean,
check out his filmography just to remind yourself of his work.  Just about any actor would be
happy to have such a body of work, let alone someone who is primarily known as a stand-up
comedian.  Oh yes, I can guess why Mrs. Doubtfire was chosen -- it's set in San Francisco.
That illustrates the idea that funerals, memorials, tributes, et. al. aren't for the dead, but for
the living.

And then the set closes out with a clip of Chris Farley, who by comparison is largely a
one-dimensional, second tier comedian at best.

(grumble, grumble)

Anyway, I agree.  Today's show demonstrates why a whole set shouldn't be dedicated to
one person's memorial, excepting perhaps a handful of truly exceptional muscians.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »

Based on Robin's public persona, he would probably have wanted people to party, play upbeat
 <...>
And then the set closes out with a clip of Chris Farley, who by comparison is largely a

(grumble, grumble)

Anyway, I agree.  Today's show demonstrates why a whole set shouldn't be dedicated to
one person's memorial, excepting perhaps a handful of truly exceptional muscians.

I agree, too.  How about some fun?!  I missed the set, and I'm OK with it.  I read on GS, I think, that AL put in a Chris Farley clip of some sort.  I disagree that Farley was one-dimensional, but I don't get the connection with Robin Williams. I guess both had addiction problems, yeah... In that case, did she play some Belushi, too?   What about Mitch Hedberg?  OK, enough of that.  You get the picture.
~CPL593H~

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2014, 03:08:52 PM »

<...>

(grumble, grumble)

I agree, too.  How about some fun?!  I missed the set, and I'm OK with it.  I read on GS, I think, that AL put in a Chris Farley clip of some sort.  I disagree that Farley was one-dimensional, but I don't get the connection with Robin Williams. I guess both had addiction problems, yeah... In that case, did she play some Belushi, too?   What about Mitch Hedberg?  OK, enough of that.  You get the picture.

Well, Matt Foley (character) first appeared in '93, which was the year of the set.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2014, 04:38:57 PM »
8/13/14- Wednesday!! Bittersweet Sounds from...1993!

(Movie: Mrs Doubtfire "Helloooo dear!")
   1.  Jimmy Cliff- I Can See Clearly Now
   2.  Depeche Mode- I Feel You
(Movie: Mrs Doubtfire "I do voices..")
   3.  Hothouse Flowers- Thing of Beauty
   4.  Sting- Heavy Cloud No Rain
(Movie: Mrs Doubtfire)
   5.  Blind Melon- No Rain
   6.  Belly-Gepetto
(Movie: Mrs Doubtfire: "a run-by fruiting")
   7.  Chris Isaak- San Francisco Days
   8.  Big Head Todd & The Monsters- Bittersweet (B.O.S!)
(News: Pres Clinton budget/ deficit)
   9.  U2- Some Days Are Better Than Others
 10.  Smashing Pumpkins- Today
(TV: SNL-Motivational Speaker, Chris Farley)
Tuned to a natural E