Author Topic: 12 June 2014: it's... 1972!  (Read 9487 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 12 June 2014: it's... 1972!
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
Play It Again, Sam ---> Tower Of Power "You're Still A Young Man"

Rick Stevens singing this last week at the KSAN reunion show

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2014, 10:40:36 AM »
Play It Again, Sam ---> Tower Of Power "You're Still A Young Man"

Yes, it's gotten a lot of play, but I can listen to this all day. Love the soul of this one, lots of tension and release, and a superb horn part.

ETA: Would a band get away with that album cover today, or would it be branded racist?
Let's get right to it.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
Thursday June 12, 2014 - 1972 - Let's take a ride in the Electric Fun Mobile!

1.Creedence Clearwater Revival - Sweet Hitch Hiker
2.Chi Coltrane - Thunder and Lightning
3.America - Ventura Highway
    (Movie: Play It Again Sam)
4.Pure Prairie League - Amie
5.The Allman Brothers Band - Melissa
    (Movie: The Godfather)
6.Jim Croce - Don't Mess Around With Jim
7.The Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice
    (Election Ads: McGovern/Nixon)
8.Lou Reed - Vicious
    (Movie: Play It Again Sam)
9.Al Green - Let's Stay Together
10.Tower of Power - You're Still a Young Man (BOS!)
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2014, 10:27:43 PM »
Johnny Cash for Amoco ---> Chi Coltrane "Thunder And Lightning"

Looks disturbingly like Britney Spears.

It's hard to tell from just one pictures, but this woman appears slender, while Spears
has a much more rounded countenance and figure.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2014, 10:31:59 PM »
Well, I was close: I think '72 counted as "'60s quadrant" under the DC regime.

It may well have been considered '60s, but musically I have to draw the line at 1971.  I think there's
a noticable difference by 1972, but at the moment I don't know how to articulate what it is.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2014, 11:09:46 PM »
There was a 'snipe comment to the effect that AL seems to post her threads later in the evening, and was that being done to cut down on requests. But it seems to me that she rarely plays requests for bustouts -- the requests that get played are for tried and true 10@10 staples -- so it doesn't matter when she posts.
And I think this is the primary difference between AL versions 1 and 2 - I do think in the previous era one of the requests would get played, and more than occasionally it would be something that wasn't a staple.
Yes, and iirc, a few of the regulary serial requesters noticed that she was more responsive to the calls for deep cuts than she was for the ones we've heard a bazillion times. So perhaps this is a conscious effort to avoid irritating the general populace?

Is there really a large contingent that is irritated every time they hear something they've never
heard before?  Really?  Or is it just catering to a small but vocal group of facepage users?

It may well be that, once again, I'm out of the mainstream.  I just don't understand why KFOG,
particularly in the context of 10@10, isn't playing a lot more different material.  For some
older listeners it would be stuff they haven't heard in a while, and for the rest of the audience,
it is going to be something up their alley, musically.

As for the difference between AL 1.0 and 2.0, I don't know if it was due to facepage requests or
not... but in her first stint, she certainly seemed to be intentionally playing new (to 10@10)
stuff.  I noticed it with Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, and the Eno-Fripp axis, for some examples.
And some of this stuff won BOS, which seems to be a validation of playing it on the show.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »
3.America - Ventura Highway
7.The Rolling Stones - Tumbling Dice

BiNBOT (Big Name Bust-Out Theory) in action, albeit not completely successfully.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 05:45:35 AM »
Is there really a large contingent that is irritated every time they hear something they've never
heard before?  Really?  Or is it just catering to a small but vocal group of facepage users?

I'm not sure there are any youface users that would be irritated if a Tier 2 rarity (i.e. Mark Lindsay's "Arizona") would be played. I've postulated that if there were a set that had nothing but rarities some might get confused, but I think even that's overstated.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 07:29:39 AM »
As for the difference between AL 1.0 and 2.0, I don't know if it was due to facepage requests or
not... but in her first stint, she certainly seemed to be intentionally playing new (to 10@10)
stuff.  I noticed it with Jefferson Airplane, Jethro Tull, and the Eno-Fripp axis, for some examples.
And some of this stuff won BOS, which seems to be a validation of playing it on the show.

the difference is that in the beginning she had no boss. She was running the show, literally. When DC came in 2 years later he started imposing restrictions. And I assume the new PD is in that vein.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round