Author Topic: 31 March 2014: it's... 1978  (Read 9528 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 31 March 2014: it's... 1978
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2014, 10:42:46 AM »
Arnold S. / David Steinberg ---> Devo "Jocko Homo"

Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2014, 10:43:07 AM »
In spite of the three LNs (and to be fair, those 3 are all decent songs in their respective ways), this set seems to have worked out quite well.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
Coneheads!
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2014, 10:44:04 AM »
Despite 3 egregious FF/LNs, this turned out pretty OK.

(ETA: JINX!!)

and we end with the Coneheads. Consume mass quantities!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2014, 10:46:07 AM »

i'll say it again, that cover looks like Joe Buck wearing Jazn Mrazz's hat.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »
BOS tie: H&O and Devo; VHM Nick Lowe, Warren Zevon.
Let's get right to it.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2014, 11:43:47 AM »

i'll say it again, that cover looks like Joe Buck wearing Jazn Mrazz's hat.

Can you imagine those two asking: "Are we not men?"
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2014, 12:26:37 PM »
1. Lawyers, Guns and Money - Warren Zevon
(Vincent Price for the "Stay Alive" game)
2. Stayin Alive - Bee Gees
3. All The Children Sing - Todd Rundgren
4. So Lonely - Police
(Commercial: Charlie's Angels dolls)
5. This Year's Girl - Elvis Costello
6. Candy's Room - Bruce Springsteen
(News Ted Kennedy on healthcare)
7. Baker's Street - Gerry Rafferty
(Movie: Animal House)
8. The Sound Of Breaking Glass - Nick Lowe
9. It's A Laugh - Hall And Oates
(David Steinberg interviews Ah-nuld)
10. Jocko Homo - Devo
(Consume mass quantities)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »
AL on FB sez Hall & Oates got BOS, VHM to Devo and Nick Lowe.
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2014, 10:38:44 PM »
Ted Kennedy on health care ---> Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street"

While I understand other people's point of view, this song will never be LN for me.

How to describe what it does to me?  The current term of the art on this message board,
sledgehammer, hardly seems adequate.

For most of the spring of 1978, I ping-ponged around the Northeast and Midwest, attending as
many different frisbee tournaments as I could.   Then in June I headed straight for an event in
Vancouver, B.C.  After that I made my way down the West Coast for my first visit to the Bay
Area and San Francisco (a story in itself).  My trip back included a visit and a brief stay in the
Twin Cities for yet another tournament, before I finally returned to New England.

I put more than ten thousand miles on my thumb that year.  I got hundreds of rides in hundreds
of vehicles, and the radio was on in many of them.  I heard Baker Street just about every
day that summer, if not multiple times per day.  It's not far from the literal truth to say that I
heard that song everywhere.

So when I hear those opening flute notes, especially if I'm not expecting them, I am transported
instantly back to that time and I vividly remember the feeling of being in a stranger's car, traveling
a stretch of highway I'd never seen before, heading to an often equally unfamilar destination.
Few other songs evoke such a powerful reminiscence for me.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2014, 07:04:43 AM »

While I understand other people's point of view, this song will never be LN for me.

How to describe what it does to me?  The current term of the art on this message board,

For most of the spring of 1978, I ping-ponged around the Northeast and Midwest, attending as
many different frisbee tournaments as I could.   Then in June I headed straight for an event in
Vancouver, B.C.  After that I made my way down the West Coast for my first visit to the Bay
Area and San Francisco (a story in itself).  My trip back included a visit and a brief stay in the
Twin Cities for yet another tournament, before I finally returned to New England.

I put more than ten thousand miles on my thumb that year.  I got hundreds of rides in hundreds
of vehicles, and the radio was on in many of them.  I heard Baker Street just about every
day that summer, if not multiple times per day.  It's not far from the literal truth to say that I

So when I hear those opening flute notes, especially if I'm not expecting them, I am transported
instantly back to that time and I vividly remember the feeling of being in a stranger's car, traveling
a stretch of highway I'd never seen before, heading to an often equally unfamilar destination.

I've mentioned before that this song resonated strongly for me as an 8 year old, and as a 43 year old. Great songs do that.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:49 AM »

Great story!
Slipping into something
And out of something else

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:49 PM »

Great story!

While I have a number of great stories from that summer, there is another which is music-related
and concerns a song that has made just one appearance on 10@10.  If that song is played again,
I'll tell my tale that goes with it.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"