Author Topic: 6 Sept 2013: it's... the return of the Mystery Year (1965)  (Read 12680 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Sept 2013: it's... the return of the Mystery Year (1965)
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2013, 10:37:14 AM »
Let's not forget Mr. Derringer in any discussion of "Hang On Sloopy!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hang_On_Sloopy

The second sentence of the Wiki article explains who Sloopy was.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »
Renee: BOS Otis Redding
Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Sept 2013: it's... ??
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2013, 10:41:47 AM »
OMFG: Mystery year!  "Positively 4th St" means it's 1965!

ETA: once again we get 2 '60s sets in one week.  Making for a very happy Friday.

Speaking of Friday, does this mean a possible return of "Hits From Hell" next Friday?

If not, I'll post a Morey classic that day.  8)

I was wondering that too -- AL and DC were both kind of anti- HFH sets, preferring to sprinkle hellish songs sparingly thru regular 10@10s.  Maybe Mr Pugh feels differently.

While Mr. Pugh doesn't sound as if he's The Most Interesting Man In The World, I have to say that the quality of KFOG's music has generally improved (Cumulus' cancellation of "Lost And Found" notwithstanding).

He seems to have a flexibility about the peculiarity of this local market that DC lacked.

While I still maintain that DC was doing what Cumulus wanted, by & large, he didn't seem to understand that you can play more alt-y currents and more recent years without completely abandoning what 10@10 is supposed to be about.

I don't know. The experience of these last two programming directors is making me think Cumulus et al. just tell the PD's to get the ratings up, then fire them if they don't. Cumulus doesn't spend on their stations, why would they pay for consultants, market research, and focus groups, and have a ton of input into the programming of each of their stations? Just set a format, hire an experienced hand, and watch the ratings. Maybe somebody has more inside info on the workings of the radio conglomerates, but just by listening, the approach I just described is the impression that I get.

Yes. In some ways, the ratings is like politics - there is a certain core audience which will listen to KFOG come hell or highwater. It's the extra people who will turn away if:

1) The music offends them (which really shouldn't be the case here)
2) The music bores them (which a lack of variety will do)
3) The music doesn't interest them (i.e. they MUST hear "We Will Rock You" every hour).
4) Too many f-ing commercials.

Obviously, issue 2 was paramount w/ DC.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 10:44:28 AM by Big Fingers McGee »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
I don't know. The experience of these last two programming directors is making me think Cumulus et al. just tell the PD's to get the ratings up, then fire them if they don't. Cumulus doesn't spend on their stations, why would they pay for consultants, market research, and focus groups, and have a ton of input into the programming of each of their stations? Just set a format, hire an experienced hand, and watch the ratings. Maybe somebody has more inside info on the workings of the radio conglomerates, but just by listening, the approach I just described is the impression that I get.

Well, AL pretty much told us that DC was an absolute geek about research, what songs to play when, "trigger" songs and so on. And Cumulus has their own in-house research arm, iirc, so they don't pay a fortune to an outside firm. They wanted younger demos for KFOG and that was what DC was supposed to accomplish; now they seem to have eased off on that, or at least on his version of what that meant.  And I still think the Twitch debacle was their idea not his.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »

Well, AL pretty much told us that DC was an absolute geek about research, what songs to play when, "trigger" songs and so on. And Cumulus has their own in-house research arm, iirc, so they don't pay a fortune to an outside firm. They wanted younger demos for KFOG and that was what DC was supposed to accomplish; now they seem to have eased off on that, or at least on his version of what that meant.  And I still think the Twitch debacle was their idea not his.

That sounds right.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2013, 10:46:37 AM »

Many years from now, everybody involved in the Twitch debacle is going to look back on it and think "WTF was going on?"

To DC's credit, when it became obvious that the Twitch hiring was not going to work, he acted upon it. At least, that's what I'd like to believe.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 03:57:40 PM »

That sounds right.

yeah, he did the proper thing and fell on the sword in public taking all the blame for making a bad judgement call, but it had to come from corporate.  it was exciting times in local radio, at least.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 07:53:50 PM »
I took the L Taraval today all the way from the end of the line to the end of the line (Zoo to Embarcadero) and was able to listen to the whole soundcloud file on my iPhone.  It was a pretty nice experience, especially the Dylan tune.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »
Friday September 6, 2013 - Mystery Year (1965)

1. Positively 4th Street - Bob Dylan
2. I Can't Help Myself - The Four Tops
3. The Last Time - Rolling Stones
4. Heart Full of Soul - Yardbirds
5. Hang on Sloopy - The McCoys
6. Til The End of the Day - The Kinks
7. Wooly Bully - Sam the Sham & the Pharaohs
8. Wait - The Beatles
9. I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown
10. Mr. Pitiful - Otis Redding
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2013, 10:54:06 PM »
Sometimes I miss the front-sell and the show becomes like a mystery year; the challenge is to
correctly identify it before a sounder is played.  That happened with this set, and I was quite
surprised when I discovered it was an actually mystery year.

... and I was wrong.  Count me among the many who mis-identified it as 1966.  For me it just
demonstrates that I don't have many strong year-specific memories linked to music until about

And it was quite a short set.  Like the recent 1963 show, it could have easily been lengthened
by the use of some well-chosen clips.  TV theme song medleys, movie trailers, news reports...
how hard can it be?  It's not rocket surgery...

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"