Author Topic: 20 Aug 2013: it's... 1985  (Read 11469 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Aug 2013: it's... 1985
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 10:58:53 AM »
Renee: BOS Madonna; VHM Bryan Adams, Talking Heads, SRV
Tuned to a natural E

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2013, 11:00:06 AM »
OMFG - MADONNA "Material Girl"

Surprise indeed!

Not a hater. AL is.

Yep.  Although AL did spice things up fairly often, credit where credit is due--Renee seems to have even less of an aversion to playing these types of songs.

AL has a problem with Madonna personally. She wrote about it once.

As in, she met Madonna once and she was a real beyotch, or AL just has an issue with the way she's marketed herself?

I remember AL saying something about meeting Sheryl Crow and not liking her, but as has been pointed out in this forum before, Crow is hardly alone in that category. Still, it didn't stop AL from playing Crow. I think AL just didn't care for Madonna's music.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »
OMFG - MADONNA "Material Girl"

Surprise indeed!

Not a hater. AL is.

Yep.  Although AL did spice things up fairly often, credit where credit is due--Renee seems to have even less of an aversion to playing these types of songs.

AL has a problem with Madonna personally. She wrote about it once.

As in, she met Madonna once and she was a real beyotch, or AL just has an issue with the way she's marketed herself?

The latter. I think it was an old guard feminist thing. From what I recall, most of the feminists of the '80's and '90's loved Madonna. They "got" her.

Take what I'm writing with several grains of salt, though. It's never a good idea to put words into another person's mouth, especially based on a hazy recollection of a past (written) conversation. I'd just always wondered why Madonna was so scarce on '80's 10@10's, particularly since she is so iconic for that decade. I thought maybe it was KFOG's perception of its listeners' crunchy leanings. But AL indicated it was her decision based on her distaste for Madonna. Of that, I'm pretty sure.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
TOTHK - SRV "Look At Little Sister"

clearly not one of the surprises...  LN1.

I'm getting unpleasant images of G.E. Smith's orgasm faces into SNL commercial breaks.

Couldn't find a proper screen grab from G.E. Smith's SNL days, but this pic says it all:

Tuned to a natural E

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »
Talking Heads "Road To Nowhere"

Indeed...

At least the 1985 Pazz & Jop critics enjoyed this one.

http://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/pnj/pjres85.php

If Renee had only played something else off of Little Creatures ("Road To Nowhere" is a FF).
Tuned to a natural E

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2013, 04:19:26 PM »
TOTHK - SRV "Look At Little Sister"

clearly not one of the surprises...  LN1.

I'm getting unpleasant images of G.E. Smith's orgasm faces into SNL commercial breaks.

Couldn't find a proper screen grab from G.E. Smith's SNL days, but this pic says it all:

[shudder]
Slipping into something
And out of something else