Author Topic: 14 May 2013: it's... 1969  (Read 11981 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 14 May 2013: it's... 1969
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2013, 11:00:18 PM »
BOS, the Might Zep, "What Is and What Should Never Be."  My old stereo installation test song.

BOS from me.  Another surprising first appearence, if I haven't overlooked anything.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »
But why did she play a clip from 1966's "Wild Angels"? Maybe she thought it was from "Easy Rider"?
ha! I was thinking that exact same thing.

It's not an RR set unless something from the wrong year is played!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »
Haha, yes he is. I love that characterization as "not specifically too good". And what is the effect on the brain of poorly manufactured acid?
It's got a lot of speed in it, so you get anxious and wired instead of getting high.

I'm not intimately acquainted with the chemistry, but as I understand it, LSD and/or some of its
precursors are in the methamphetamine family.  So if the proportions aren't sufficiently accurate
during manufacture one will have a higher percentage of speed and similar molecules in the
final product.  If my memory is correct, a little arsenic is another contaminant, which wll result
in minor joint pain -- kind of like being mildly arthritic.  These by-products can also appear when
old LSD breaks down if it is not stored properly, i.e., away from heat and light.  A freezer or
refridgerator is the obvious choice, and doing so can extend the shelf-life for many years.
Not that I know anything about this personally, you understand.  Er, um, a friend told me about it.

There's another great quote from Woodstock that I think is even better.  It's from Grace Slick,
and I may not have the exact words correct, but she says:
"Sorry about the people that got the brown.  We got a whole lot of the orange.  And it was fine.
And it still is fine."

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:31:45 PM by dischead »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2013, 07:43:38 AM »
well, I was a Catholic schoolboy at the time.

Since you said you went to Fordham, I gotta ask:  did you go to a private (and presumably
Catholic) high school?

I did the Papal Triple Crown: 9 years Catholic grammar school (includes kindergarten), 4 years Catholic high (taught by Marist Brothers) and 4 years Fordham (Jesuits). No wonder I'm an atheist!

As it happens I'm doing some writing about it at the moment so it's been much on my mind and any set from '69-to-'73 gets my creative juices flowing.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2013, 10:29:41 PM »
well, I was a Catholic schoolboy at the time.
Since you said you went to Fordham, I gotta ask:  did you go to a private (and presumably
Catholic) high school?
I did the Papal Triple Crown: 9 years Catholic grammar school (includes kindergarten), 4 years Catholic high (taught by Marist Brothers) and 4 years Fordham (Jesuits). No wonder I'm an atheist!

Given the endpoints I figured the middle of that arc was a given.

I went to public grade schools, but then attended a Catholic high school.  Many of my classmates
went to parochial schools, and one of my buddies went to Fordham.  I visited him there once, but
I don't remember much about the place other than the street scene in the Bronx walking from the
subway stop.  I blame drugs.  (grin)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 07:40:40 AM »
I went to public grade schools, but then attended a Catholic high school.  Many of my classmates went to parochial schools, and one of my buddies went to Fordham.  I visited him there once, but I don't remember much about the place other than the street scene in the Bronx walking from the subway stop.  I blame drugs.  (grin)

ah, I loved the smell of Fordham Road in the morning.  What year was that, if you don't mind saying?  And if it was the mid-'70s, please message me with your friend's name -- it's a small world, quite often.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »
I went to public grade schools, but then attended a Catholic high school.  Many of my classmates went to parochial schools, and one of my buddies went to Fordham.  I visited him there once, but I don't remember much about the place other than the street scene in the Bronx walking from the subway stop.  I blame drugs.  (grin)
ah, I loved the smell of Fordham Road in the morning.  What year was that, if you don't mind saying?  And if it was the mid-'70s, please message me with your friend's name -- it's a small world, quite often.

It was the '75-'76 school year... I know it wasn't in the winter.  I'm pretty sure it was fall '75,
but there's a small chance it was spring '76.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »
It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it.

Steven Wright!