Author Topic: 6 Mar 2013: it's...1993  (Read 7742 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 6 Mar 2013: it's...1993
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2013, 07:40:05 AM »
I like tracks 1 & 2, but both are snoozy.  Plus Renee is going a little overboard with the AIDS-related song/clips, this is like the 3rd in the last week on 10@10.

I've already mentioned this a few times, but the obligatory Springsteen track is driving me nuts. I see it as a symptom of the safe approach to 10@10 that has greatly compromised the show. "Everybody loves Bruce!" so they can't go wrong playing him. 10@10 was never edgy per se, but it did take risks relative to the commercial landscape in which it lived. Playing Bruce every time they hit a year in which he released a track is so predictable, it's boring regardless of the song picked.

So, THAT's why you didn't join the G-snipes. BTW, I agree with you - He's great and all that yada yada yada but frankly I don't need to hear him for about five years.

Also, the "Play Springsteen whenever it applies" can be filed under "pandering".

see also: AL and the Foos.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »
I like tracks 1 & 2, but both are snoozy.  Plus Renee is going a little overboard with the AIDS-related song/clips, this is like the 3rd in the last week on 10@10.

I've already mentioned this a few times, but the obligatory Springsteen track is driving me nuts. I see it as a symptom of the safe approach to 10@10 that has greatly compromised the show. "Everybody loves Bruce!" so they can't go wrong playing him. 10@10 was never edgy per se, but it did take risks relative to the commercial landscape in which it lived. Playing Bruce every time they hit a year in which he released a track is so predictable, it's boring regardless of the song picked.

So, THAT's why you didn't join the G-snipes. BTW, I agree with you - He's great and all that yada yada yada but frankly I don't need to hear him for about five years.

Also, the "Play Springsteen whenever it applies" can be filed under "pandering".

Queue up the Alanis.  If she doesn't do the things you want her to (more in social media, more obscurities, more variety, less repitition) it's pandering, but if she takes your criticism to heart, it's what?  Enlightenment?

It's all pandering.  That's how you please your audience.  That's how you improve ratings.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:02 AM »

see also: AL and the Foos.

Yes, the Dave Grohl crush was equally annoying.
Slipping into something
And out of something else