Author Topic: Monday August 15, it's 1977  (Read 11249 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Gag me with a spoon!
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2005, 10:46:05 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "ggould"
the Baby's?

Now, now... a fab single, Katrina tho it is.

THIS JUST IN: poc called me at work to vote the Babys BOS.

I'm down too for BOS.
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: God Save the Queen
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2005, 10:46:44 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
well "saved" was hyperbole, but it was certainly a welcome bit of back-to-basics that was sorely needed in the age of Boston & Kansas & Foreigner (or "corporate rock" as it came to be known).
Not to mention disco. Nowadays it's looked upon a bit more kindly, but at the time disco was seen as the death of rock & roll. (Not that Boston or any of the other bands you cited were much better--far too calculated to have much to to with r&r.)
I thinks much of the 'disco sucks' mentality was based on racism at the time.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2005, 10:52:01 AM »
well "saved" was hyperbole, but it was certainly a welcome bit of back-to-basics that was sorely needed in the age of Boston & Kansas & Foreigner (or "corporate rock" as it came to be known).

Not to mention disco. Nowadays it's looked upon a bit more kindly, but at the time disco was seen as the death of rock & roll. (Not that Boston or any of the other bands you cited were much better--far too calculated to have much to to with r&r.)

Indeed, and dissertations can be (and have been) written on those warring factions.  The difference (to oversimplify a bit) is that the punk folks were anarchistic-to-lefty and they saw bloated "prog rock" as an evil tool of corporate record companies.  Not that some of these people didn't hate disco too, but the "disco sucks" movement was primarily a product of young white males who tended to be both racist and homophobic.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2005, 10:55:24 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I thinks much of the 'disco sucks' mentality was based on racism at the time.

Jinxes suck!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Monday August 15, it's 1977
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2005, 10:56:40 AM »
and here, post set, is "Driven to Tears" for, like, the millionth time this week!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2005, 11:10:52 AM »
not a bad set, at all! oblig bos to the babys, as mentioned. but honorables to klaatu (!!) and marcy levy on "the core." and all that jimmyspeak makes me think of amy carter, which is always a nice thing. i've always imagined her to be one part jodie foster, one part lucretia macevil.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2005, 11:13:14 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
not a bad set, at all! oblig bos to the babys, as mentioned. but honorables to klaatu (!!) and marcy levy on "the core." and all that jimmyspeak makes me think of amy carter, which is always a nice thing. i've always imagined her to be one part jodie foster, one part lucretia macevil.

That Amy... she just so damn bad!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2005, 11:18:06 AM »
and here, post set, is "Driven to Tears" for, like, the millionth time this week!

can sting be traded on the nasdaq?

love your avatar, btw. "ello, ow are you?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2005, 11:23:18 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

can sting be traded on the nasdaq?

love your avatar, btw. "ello, ow are you?"

I was watching Guffman last nite and just HAD to find a pic of Corky St Clair.  Corky doing dinner theater as Prof. 'iggins, with the Parker Posey character as Eliza -- that's a sequel I'd like to see.