Author Topic: 15 June 2012: it's Father's Day  (Read 7935 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 15 June 2012: it's Father's Day
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
OMFG: "Peppermint Lump"!!!  uber-BOS7 and a most welcome bustout, methinks.

If you're not aware this early-'80s 1979 gem was a little British girl named Angie... produced by Pete Townshend.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:03:42 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Rastermon

• The Core
  • Three Bits
    • View Profile
    • Rastermon Graphic Design
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 10:47:42 AM »
New to Me
There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 01:26:31 PM »
LN: Living Years. Sorry, I do realize that 'promotes' me one ring of hell.

I totally understand -- it is rather overplayed. I just think that, as songs intended to get you a bit choked up go, it's actually very well-written and restrained. A *smart* tearjerker.

Strangely enough, I agree with Mike!  For me, it also happens that whatever year this song was out, I attended a memorial for a father of a preschool friend of my daughters, who died suddenly of heart failure.  I heard the song on the radio on the way home after the wake.

Enjoy every sandwich!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
LN: Living Years. Sorry, I do realize that 'promotes' me one ring of hell.

I totally understand -- it is rather overplayed. I just think that, as songs intended to get you a bit choked up go, it's actually very well-written and restrained. A *smart* tearjerker.

Strangely enough, I agree with Mike!  For me, it also happens that whatever year this song was out, I attended a memorial for a father of a preschool friend of my daughters, who died suddenly of heart failure.  I heard the song on the radio on the way home after the wake.

Enjoy every sandwich!

Indeed!

I still remember the first time I heard it, one morning while getting ready for work. It was the "Z-100 Morning Zoo" in NYC and the deejay prefaced by saying it was very moving. I thought "yeah, whatever" -- songs almost never get me choked up -- but it got to me. And yet stepping back and looking at it it really isn't maudlin in the manner of Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey" or (gawd help us) "The Christmas Shoes". It's just exceptionally well-written, sez me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
6/15/12: a set for Dad!

‎1. Perry Como - Papa Loves Mambo
(TV: Leave It To Beaver: A woman's place is in the home. How come you do the outside cookin'?)
2. Adrian Belew - Oh Daddy
(TV: Simpsons - Homer: Has anyone seen my little girl? I'll come down and save you.)...
3. Paul Simon - Father and Daughter
4. Ben Folds Five - Gracie
(Comedy: Bill Cosby - "Got to cook breakfast. Chocolate Cake.")
5. John Hiatt - Like Your Dad Did
(TV: Happy Days - Howard Cunningham - No that he's older we should be closer. Marion: Invite him to the Leopard Convention")
6. Cat Stevens - Father and Son
(TV: Sopranos - Tony (James Gandolfini) Everybody's an idiot to you .. You spend all your time sitting on the couch perfecting that pissy look on your face.")
7. Mike & the Mechanics - The Living Years
(TV: Family Guy - Real men have a beer and project their inadequacies on others.")
8. Chuck Berry - Dear Dad
(TV: Family Guy - Meg, are you implying that Rosie O'Donnell can't drive?:)
9. John Mayer - Daughters
(TV: Little House on the Prairie - TV: Little House on the Prairie - Charles (Michael Landon) tells Laura (Melissa Gilbert) "Now that's what life's all about: laughing and loving each other. And knowing that people aren't really gone when they die.")
10. Angie feat. Pete Townsend - Peppermint Lump