Author Topic: 30 Jan 2012: It's...1983!  (Read 11901 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Jan 2012: It's...1983!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:51 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! uber-LN The Call -- must they show up in every year they're eligible?

Aren't they from Santa Cruz? Sorry, but the Bay Area music scene kind of sucks (except for ggould, of course).

I think they are from SC, which isn't technically the Bay Area, but I understand your point somewhat. 

Just according to craigslist. ;)

Edit: Post 1000! :D

Congrats, rad!

I think throughout its history, T-Cat. The best bands in the Bay Area just don't stack up well against those from many other areas. But lately, whoa . . . local heroes Cake and Smashmouth? That just gives me the heebadee jeebies.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 11:14:08 AM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! uber-LN The Call -- must they show up in every year they're eligible?

Aren't they from Santa Cruz? Sorry, but the Bay Area music scene kind of sucks (except for ggould, of course).

I think they are from SC, which isn't technically the Bay Area, but I understand your point somewhat. 

Congrats, rad!

I think throughout its history, T-Cat. The best bands in the Bay Area just don't stack up well against those from many other areas. But lately, whoa . . . local heroes Cake and Smashmouth? That just gives me the heebadee jeebies.

Thanks! :)

don't forget about Green Day and everyone's favorite, Counting Crows...

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 11:28:56 AM »

Congrats, rad!

The SF Chronicle put together a list of the top 100 bay Area bands (The Call made it). This was back in 99.  I posted it here:

http://10at10club.com/forum/index.php?topic=706.msg151122#msg151122

.. and the original article is here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1999/12/19/PKBB101.DTL
~CPL593H~

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 11:38:41 AM »

Congrats, rad!

The SF Chronicle put together a list of the top 100 bay Area bands (The Call made it). This was back in 99.  I posted it here:

.. and the original article is here: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/1999/12/19/PKBB101.DTL

The best thing about this list in sfgate is that it's not part of some lame slideshow.  It's a popular format that annoys the crap out of me. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 11:44:34 AM »

Congrats, rad!

The best thing about this list in sfgate is that it's not part of some lame slideshow.  It's a popular format that annoys the crap out of me.

I feel you Rod, but slide shows = multiple page views, which is what sites want to use to bump up their ad rates. 
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 11:48:20 AM »

I'll second this.  Clicking 99 times just to get through a list = >:(

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 11:55:00 AM »

I'll second this.  Clicking 99 times just to get through a list = >:(

yup, it's a way to get more clicks for sure.
~CPL593H~

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
01/30/12 - Monday! Say Hello to...1983!!

(Movie: Scarface-"Say hello to my little friend")
 1. After the Fire - Der Kommissar
 2. The Romantics - Talking in Your Sleep
(Movie: Terms of Endearment - Emma (Debra Winger) shouting at her boys)
 3. R.E.M. - Catapult
 4. The Cure - The Love Cats
 5. Huey Lewis and the News - Heart and Soul
(Ad: Panasonic VHS player/recorder - "Just slightly ahead of our time")
 6. Eddy Grant - Electric Avenue
 7. Ministry - I Wanted to Tell Her (B.O.S!)
 8. Naked Eyes - Promises, Promises
(News: Sally Ride - 1st U.S. woman in space "She even made the work look like fun")
 9. The Kinks - Don't Forget to Dance
(News: Pres Reagan Star Wars defense/Movie:Star Wars-Return of the Jedi)   
10. The Call - The Walls Came Down