Author Topic: 11 Aug 2011" it's... 1975!  (Read 14264 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 11 Aug 2011" it's... 1975!
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 10:37:51 AM »
rare Roxy! BOS2.

by rare you mean not Love Is The Drug or More Than This?   

Dave played this a bit,  I think.  BOS to one of the best RM songs.

I think AL's played it a time or three too. Girl has a soft spot for the Roxy. Gets my BOS vote in any case. Now if we could convince her to play In Every Dream Home a Heartache the next time 73 comes up (which will probably be in 2013).

yes, we need some Bungalow Ranch Style up in here!  
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
we're close to jumping the shark with "Young Katrinamericans"

"Soul 'Trina/Train!"

and yet you didn't get my recent My 3 Songs:

Marvin Gaye, "After the Dance"
Bowie, "Young Americans"
Johnnie Taylor, "Disco Lady"

well, I saw that post and I didn't know the answer, so I looked it up and eventually saw the connection.. But I felt that since I googled it I was ineligible. 

It's the Ken Jennings Code of Quiz Conduct, you know...  :)

Still it was a great M3S by you!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:02 AM »
BOOOO!  several requests for "Meal Ticket" and we get "Someone Saved..." instead. Sorry, that's a bummer, Sugar Bear.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:39 AM »
That "Soul Train" connection is indeed a great M3S.  Kudos.

WOS on principle to SSMLT, just for her having gone with the most obvious and overplayed track from the album.  Indeed, nothing else from this album has ever gotten airplay over the years, to my sadness.  Thought AL would have heeded 3 or more votes for "Meal Ticket."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2011, 10:44:23 AM »

WOS on principle to SSMLT, just for her having gone with the most obvious and overplayed track from the album.  Indeed, nothing else from this album has ever gotten airplay over the years, to my sadness.  Thought AL would have heeded 3 or more votes for "Meal Ticket."

Or at least gone into the song that was the music bed under the commentary. Was that Captain Fantastic? I didn't place it.

Guess she'd already spent her "deep track" allowance with the Roxy and Ambrosia tunes.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2011, 10:46:17 AM »

Or at least gone into the song that was the music bed under the commentary. Was that Captain Fantastic? I didn't place it.

it was. the only other song from the LP that ever shows up on the radio. (The Drive used to play it quite often)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »
wow, I thought we were done. VHM Broooce.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »
I love Someone Shaved My Wife Tonight.  Had the 45, wore it out.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2011, 11:20:56 AM »

it was. the only other song from the LP that ever shows up on the radio. (The Drive used to play it quite often)

OK, bros, I just loaded the Captain Fantastic... album into my itunes and will put it in heavy rotation.  EJ had quite a band back then. 
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »

OK, bros, I just loaded the Captain Fantastic... album into my itunes and will put it in heavy rotation.  EJ had quite a band back then. 

"Meal Ticket" kicks ass -- it really shoulda been a single IMHO. very much in the "Bitch is Back" vein.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2011, 12:07:09 PM »
I didn't listen to everything, but from what I've heard, I'd have to give BOS to Holdin' On To Yesterday. The harmonies in the chorus always make me think I'm listening to a Crowded House tune.

VHM to Amie. Not sure how or where I first heard this song and grew to love it. Also love the harmonies in this one.

I reckon that apart from the Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" and Captain and Tenille's "Love Will Keep Us Together", most of my lasting knowledge and memories of music prior to the 1980s was gained in the past 20 years that I've been listening to 10@10, KFOG in general (yikes) and a few years on the KPIG train.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2011, 12:33:43 PM »
8/11/11-Thursday! Rockin' All Over...1975!

(Movie: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest)
  1.  Sweet- Ballroom Blitz
(Movie: One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest)
  2.  John Fogerty- Rockin' All Over The World
  3.  Pure Prairie League- Amie
(News: Pres Ford State of The Union)
  4.  Ambrosia- Holdin' On To Yesterday
  5.  Jefferson Starship- Miracles
(TV: Happy Days)
  6.  Ohio Players- Fire
  7.  Roxy Music- Both Ends Burning
(News: Nixon investigation)
  8.  David Bowie- Young Americans
(Entertainment News: Elton John-Captain Fantastic)
  9.  Elton John- Someone Saved My Life Tonight (B.O.S!)
(Ad: Pearl Drops toothpaste)
 10.  Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band- She's The One

and Elton actually won BOS ::)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »
Totally missed hearing the Happy Days clip while at work. Remember watching the episode. Brilliant segue into Fire.  When you're hot, you're hot, you really shoot your shot!
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2011, 10:31:45 PM »
Roxy sounds excellent again. Could have done without Bowie, Elton and Bruce. It's the replay. I will do without them again.
Burning, burning, burning......Tell me, will I ever learn?
Sharks bleed teal.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2011, 07:17:57 AM »
8/11/11-Thursday! Rockin' All Over...1975!
<...>
...and Elton actually won BOS ::)

Not a bad choice.  Consider that KFOG (probably) rarely plays this one, so regular, insular listeners think of it as a rarity.  ( I know oldies stations have it rotation, etc.)  I've always loved the way the sound builds up and gets bigger when the full band comes in. The lyrics are totally mysterious.  Someone remarked that it still gives her chills and I can see that. It's  spooky and ominous.   

It could have been much worse, like Ballroom Blitz. I might have liked that at one time, but the singer's cartoon-ghoulish voice (".. with a WINK of her e-e-e-eye!") now makes me just shake my head.
~CPL593H~