Author Topic: 20 June 2011... Sax Appeal  (Read 15172 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 20 June 2011... Sax Appeal
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
Death happens. Is it ever easy for those that cared about/loved the deceased?
The time is coming when more of the music stars of the '60s, 70s, 80s will pass and we'll take a moment to pay tribute then as well.  However, think about it, there's still many '50s music stars still with us: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Everly Brothers, Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Bobby Rydell, Little Anthony, Harry Belafonte, Pat Boone, Brenda Lee, Connie Francis, Debbie Reynolds, Dave Brubeck, Andy Williams...
Now THERE's a trivia question for which I'm not sure what the answer is. Who is the oldest still-living person to have a Top 40 hit (1955 on)?
And perhaps another question: which of those artists you mentioned would be worthy of a 10@10 dedication set?
Definitely Chuck Berry, the father of rock & roll, and perhaps Little Richard, Jerry Lee and Fats.   Did a preliminary search to answer your trivia question, but what comes up is "the oldest person (at the time) to make the Top 40."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2011, 11:43:25 AM »
Death happens. Is it ever easy for those that cared about/loved the deceased?
The time is coming when more of the music stars of the '60s, 70s, 80s will pass and we'll take a moment to pay tribute then as well.  However, think about it, there's still many '50s music stars still with us: Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Everly Brothers, Paul Anka, Frankie Avalon, Fabian, Bobby Rydell, Little Anthony, Harry Belafonte, Pat Boone, Brenda Lee, Connie Francis, Debbie Reynolds, Dave Brubeck, Andy Williams...
Now THERE's a trivia question for which I'm not sure what the answer is. Who is the oldest still-living person to have a Top 40 hit (1955 on)?
And perhaps another question: which of those artists you mentioned would be worthy of a 10@10 dedication set?
Definitely Chuck Berry, the father of rock & roll, and perhaps Little Richard, Jerry Lee and Fats.   Did a preliminary search to answer your trivia question, but what comes up is "the oldest person (at the time) to make the Top 40."

I can imagine AL doing a Chuck Berry set -- alternating between his stuff and "all Chuck's children... playin' his licks" (Seger's "Get Out Of Denver" for one example; ELO's cover of "Roll Over Beethoven" and so on). And maybe Little Richard. I can't picture us getting a Jerry Lee or Fats 10@10.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2011, 12:05:05 PM »
A few rather significant pauses before AL turned up the mic and then in the first minute of the backsell, don'tcha think? Was AL a little verklempt? I would not be surprised.

Regrettably I missed this set. But I do remember when George Harrison passed there was a 10@10 dedicated to him. Dave didn't seem all that worked up about that incident... it seemed almost like an obligatory dedication.

I remember that set well. It was one of the first that I recorded digitally, and I still try to listen to it at the end of November when the anniversary of George's passing comes around.  I agree that Dave mostly kept his composure during the intro and backsell, but I don't think it was at all obligatory; I think Dave was truly moved to do it--he loved the Beatles. For one thing, it aired the day after George died, so he likely had to throw it together pretty quickly. Also, Dave didn't do too many "in memoriam"  sets. Yes, he'd drop a song by a recently deceased artist into a set the next time the appropriate year came around (which was often sooner than later), but the only ones I remember getting a whole set on the occasion of their death were George Harrison, Bo Diddley, and Maurice Gibb (and Bo's set was more like today's--songs that used the Bo Diddley beat rather than all songs by him).

As to the question about who deserves a 10@10 tribute, mostly I agree w/ Mike: Chuck Berry and maybe Little Richard. Personally I'd love to hear an Everly Brothers set but that could be a stretch.
Let's get right to it.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:50 PM »
A few rather significant pauses before AL turned up the mic and then in the first minute of the backsell, don'tcha think? Was AL a little verklempt? I would not be surprised.
Regrettably I missed this set. But I do remember when George Harrison passed there was a 10@10 dedicated to him. Dave didn't seem all that worked up about that incident... it seemed almost like an obligatory dedication.
I remember that set well. It was one of the first that I recorded digitally, and I still try to listen to it at the end of November when the anniversary of George's passing comes around.  I agree that Dave mostly kept his composure during the intro and backsell, but I don't think it was at all obligatory; I think Dave was truly moved to do it--he loved the Beatles. For one thing, it aired the day after George died, so he likely had to throw it together pretty quickly. Also, Dave didn't do too many "in memoriam"  sets. Yes, he'd drop a song by a recently deceased artist into a set the next time the appropriate year came around (which was often sooner than later), but the only ones I remember getting a whole set on the occasion of their death were George Harrison, Bo Diddley, and Maurice Gibb (and Bo's set was more like today's--songs that used the Bo Diddley beat rather than all songs by him).
As to the question about who deserves a 10@10 tribute, mostly I agree w/ Mike: Chuck Berry and maybe Little Richard. Personally I'd love to hear an Everly Brothers set but that could be a stretch.
I would agree, definitely Chuck Berry and maybe Little Richard would get a 10at10 (mixed with covers of their tunes).  Now, would BOTH Everlys have to pass (at same time, even) to perhaps get a song or set on 10at10?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2011, 12:17:19 PM »

I remember Dave once, in the '90s, saying "I don't do 'death-day' sets" when someone wanted a Lennon death anniv 10@10.  (and some years later Dave bowed to Foghead pressure and did one anyway).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2011, 12:23:31 PM »
6/20/11- Monday...Sax Appeal in Rock!!
  In Honor of The Big Man---Clarence Clemons-(1942-2011) 

1. Jr. Walker & The All Stars- Shotgun
    (Jr. Walker)
  2. David Bowie- Young Americans
    (David Sanborn)
  3. Gerry Rafferty- Baker Street
    (Raphael Ravenscroft)
  4. Rolling Stones- Can't You Hear Me Knocking?
     (Bobby Keys)
  5. Steely Dan- Deacon Blues
     (Peter Christlieb)
  6. George Thorogood- Bad to the Bone
     (Hank Carter)
  7. Morphine- Honey White
     (Dana Colley)
  8. Madness- One Step Beyond
      (Kix Thompson)
  9. The Champs- Tequila
       (Dany Flores)
  10.Bruce Springsteen and The E-Street Band- Jungleland-B.O.S!!
       (Clarence Clemons-R.I.P.)

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »
TANC, listening to Radio Deluxe (the John Pizziarelli podcast) and he played Ms King's "Jazzman", feat Tom Scott, which would've been a fine addition today -- was it among the Facebook requests?