Author Topic: 28 Feb 2011: it's... AL's post-Oscar party  (Read 9239 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Feb 2011: it's... AL's post-Oscar party
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 12:15:55 AM »
Footloose won an Oscar? Are all these oscar winners, or just associated with the movies?

Just associated with the movies, although maybe Randy Newman won for that song.

Nope, Mr. Newman has only won twice, once for Ragtime years ago, and last night. But he's had something like 20 nominations, so he was due. Talk about your lousy batting average though. He and Susan Lucci should talk.

Just be glad he didn't drop any F bombs. The one time I've seen him live, he swore like a truck driver.

Ragtime? No. He wrote songs for it but they were never used (some ended up on Little Criminals). He won his first for "If I Didn't Have You" (from Monsters Inc).  This year's was his 2nd. But yeah, 20 nominations. His score for The Natural lost in '84, but hey, they play it every time one of the Rangers hits a homer at the ballpark in Arlington. That's a lot of residuals.

Damn I could have sworn they said last night when he was announced that he won his first Oscar for Ragtime. I checked though; he did get nominated twice for that film, both for Original Score and Original Song (One More Hour).
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Feb 2011: it's... AL's post-Oscar party
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2011, 08:22:22 AM »

...Just be glad he didn't drop any F bombs. The one time I've seen him live, he swore like a truck driver.

But didja notice that he tacked on a very specific thank you to the Music Branch?  When he won in 2002 it was already his 18th nomination.  I'll never forget his acceptance speech that night:

"Thank you.  I don't want your pity. I want to thank first of all the music branch for giving me so many chances to be humiliated over the years. I have nothing [no speech]. I'm absolutely astounded that I've won for this, though the picture deserves recognition."

--courtesy of anecdotage.com
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 08:23:58 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010