Author Topic: 28 Jan 2011: it's... 1972  (Read 9568 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Jan 2011: it's... 1972
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »
Badfinger closes us out with some not-very-glam, Dixie dear.
But a great single indeed!
listening to replay now.  It has the requisite chain saw guitars; is it just to pretty to fit in with the other songs?

Gaz remarked the amps are horrible in this one; they certainly are VERY metallic, especially the solo.

Bowie, Mott, and Roxy are almost *always* good.  If they define glam, then I'm all over it.   The TRex cut wouldn't be my choice for this, but they have to be included- thankfully, it's short.  Throw in the Sweet, Slade, that Alice cut and the set takes a gimmicky turn. 

Slade?  They put on a top hat and makeup, grow out those mutton chops and scream some lyrics and, boom.  Glam?   Some guy on FB said Slade was horrible in concert back in the day.  I can see that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 09:21:03 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Jan 2011: it's... 1972
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
Badfinger closes us out with some not-very-glam, Dixie dear.
But a great single indeed!
listening to replay now.  It has the requisite chain saw guitars; is it just to pretty to fit in with the other songs?

Gaz remarked the amps are horrible in this one; they certainly are VERY metallic, especially the solo.

Bowie, Mott, and Roxy are almost *always* good.  If they define glam, then I'm all over it.   The TRex cut wouldn't be my choice for this, but they have to be included- thankfully, it's short.  Throw in the Sweet, Slade, that Alice cut and the set takes a gimmicky turn. 

Slade?  They put on a top hat and makeup, grow out those mutton chops and scream some lyrics and, boom.  Glam?   Some guy on FB said Slade was horrible in concert back in the day.  I can see that.

Funny that we didn't hear Gary Glitter; "RnR Pt 1" was arguably one of the biggest "glitter rock" chart hits that year in the US, along with Alice C's "School's Out".
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Jan 2011: it's... 1972 (?)
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2011, 10:41:22 AM »
This Alice B-side is obviously another bustout -- and it's rare to hear a version of "When You're a Jet" that doesn't sound gay. This is really an amazing set, considering all these songs are from the same year.

The glam-rock parody from Phantom of the Paradise would fit nicely here -- wrong year, tho'.

That wasn't merely a B-side, it was on the LP, which was in the very first batch of LP's I got from my first go round with the Columbia Music Club circa 1975.

my second favorite track in fact.  I totally, and I mean TOTALLY, flipped out when I heard this on Saturday.  Might be the biggest surprise Annalisa has given me yet.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010