Author Topic: The Drive, 9/17/09: 1974  (Read 1573 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Drive, 9/17/09: 1974
« on: September 17, 2009, 08:46:13 AM »
Bachman Turner Overdrive - Taking Care of Business 
Chicago - Wishing You Were Here 
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Call Me the Breeze 
Bad Company - Bad Company 
Hollies - The Air That I Breathe 
Terry Jacks - Seasons in the Sun 
Supertramp - Dreamer 
America - Lonely People 
Eagles - Already Gone 
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Drive, 9/17/09: 1974
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 12:45:40 PM »
I have a hard time remembering that the Hollies track was as late as '74, or that the Genesis track was that early.

But overall BOS to the America tune.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »
I have a hard time remembering that the Hollies track was as late as '74,

I think Allan Clarke really stepped up and did amazing work after Graham Nash left the Hollies. He's an unsung (no pun) artist of that period, "Air" being but one example.  Their take on "4th of July Asbury Park" is one of my favorite covers ever, and his solo single "Shadow in the Street" deserved better (I believe it's one of those #41 peakers, or close to it)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »
I have a hard time remembering that the Hollies track was as late as '74, or that the Genesis track was that early.

You may be right about the Genesis track--I think that didn't come out 'til '75.

What I wanna know is, does Bob ever miss a chance to play a Chicago tune? I mean, I realize he's in Chicago--but are there still that many people, even there, who need to hear them that much? Seriously, they must pop up in one of his sets at least weekly, if not more frequently.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:27:21 PM »

You may be right about the Genesis track--I think that didn't come out 'til '75.

What I wanna know is, does Bob ever miss a chance to play a Chicago tune? I mean, I realize he's in Chicago--but are there still that many people, even there, who need to hear them that much? Seriously, they must pop up in one of his sets at least weekly, if not more frequently.

Wiki sez "LLDOB" was released late Nov '74, which means it didn't peak until early '75.  And yeah, Bob plays his Chicago, as well as the Cryan Shames and the Blues Bros. Steve Goodman too but not as often.  But hey, Ginger played the Samples a lot, and Rob does his share of NYC-centric punk and Billy Joel, so I guess it's all good.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 03:09:11 PM »

When I read "play a Chicago tune" I was thinking you meant songs by bands FROM Chicago, not THE band Chicago -- which is also from the Windy City.  I like that he plays those "local" bands Mike mentioned -- of course, playing Cryan Shames is a teeny-weeny indulgent of Bob, since I understand he is actually in that current incarnation of the band -- it's regional radio, which I really like.  TANC: I saw a dude wearing a fleece pullover that said "Pankow" today, and I thought of the trombonist in the band.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:15:47 AM »
Am I the only one for whom the Drive no longer streams?  I haven't been able to successfully connect in a while - not that I've had a lot of time to listen lately.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 08:50:51 AM »
Am I the only one for whom the Drive no longer streams?  I haven't been able to successfully connect in a while - not that I've had a lot of time to listen lately.

we discussed at length here a few weeks back -- they've reconfigured their streaming platform and switched to the dreaded Liquid Compass. The WMP link here on the 10@10 board no longer works.  The link on their website may work for you -- if you can get The Sound's stream you should be able to get the Drive's, as they both use Liquid Compass. Sadly, LC is worthless on my work computer. I e-mailed Bob to see if he had a work-around link for me, but he never replied.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:56:34 AM by RGMike »