Author Topic: Tax Day for Friday  (Read 11755 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2005, 10:31:39 AM »
oohh
money money money money!
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2005, 10:32:53 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Quote from: "Beej"
But what's that quotation about the candygram? I know about "Candygram for Mongo", but the quote doesn't sound familial.

After Bart captures Mongo with the Candygram, the Waco Kid (Gene Wilder) is congratulating bart on a job well done. Bart says something like "Oh, it was nothing- the bich was inventing the candygram! And I bet I won't get any credit for it, either."

I just liked how Mel Brooks addresses the fact that the candygram didn't exist in the Old West- even though the movie's filled with anarchronism 10 times worse (ie Nazis, Hollywood production numbers).

Had to say this 10 times to myself before I parsed it correctly.  I kept thinking, "What bitch invented the Candygram?"

That's what I read the first time, too.  Though once I parsed it correctly, I remembered the scene too.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
BOS2, The O'jays?
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2005, 10:34:15 AM »
"For the Love of Money"
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 10:35:26 AM »
That's what I read the first time, too. Though once I parsed it correctly, I remembered the scene too.

Now I feel like that old, grisled prospector guy (Gabby Johnson?): "NO, rwasrwr! Rym raser rr-r RABBA!"
nakes? On my plane?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 10:36:52 AM »
Wall Street Shuffle--now this may be the first true surprise of the set.
Let's get right to it.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2005, 10:40:31 AM »
BOS for Ray Charles cuz I like this song the bestest.
nakes? On my plane?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2005, 10:42:37 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
Wall Street Shuffle--now this may be the first true surprise of the set.

Always nice.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2005, 10:43:10 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
BOS for Ray Charles cuz I like this song the bestest.

Yeah, BOS3, tied for bestest.

And Taxman #4, because it's (yay) the Beagles.  When I did taxes at H&R, this was my end of the 15th day song.  VERY VERY LOUD.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2005, 10:43:14 AM »
And another standard: Brother Ray--"I'm Busted."

It's getting to be like the MLK day set--just replay the same one, year in and year out.

Btw, I tried searching our old page to see if there was any record of last year's set, and it appears that anything prior to 1/1/2005 has been 86'd. In three or four different searches using common terms that should have gotten lots of hits, I didn't get any results prior to that date.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2005, 10:46:19 AM »

It's getting to be like the MLK day set--just replay the same one, year in and year out.

Btw, I tried searching our old page to see if there was any record of last year's set, and it appears that anything prior to 1/1/2005 has been 86'd. In three or four different searches using common terms that should have gotten lots of hits, I didn't get any results prior to that date.

True enough, I guess, but the songs are fine by me.  Don't have to re-invent the wheel every time.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Loan Me a Dime
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2005, 10:50:43 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
BOS, every damn time.  One of my all time faves.  But you're right, it's even better when it's out of the blue.
unless you're as clueless as me, and just came out of school, forgot it was tax day, turned on the radio, and voila!  Duane Allman riffing those tasty licks on my radio!  It took me a few milliseconds to remember the context.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Loan Me a Dime
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2005, 11:02:23 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
BOS, every damn time.  One of my all time faves.  But you're right, it's even better when it's out of the blue.
unless you're as clueless as me, and just came out of school, forgot it was tax day, turned on the radio, and voila!  Duane Allman riffing those tasty licks on my radio!  It took me a few milliseconds to remember the context.

Cluelessness has it's benefits!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Tax Day for Friday
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2005, 12:42:46 PM »

True enough, I guess, but the songs are fine by me.  Don't have to re-invent the wheel every time.

I hereby publicly withdraw my cranky-pantsness with regard to yesterday's set. Listened to the replay this morning and realized that in fact, if (almost) any of those tunes popped up in a normal, date-based set, I'd probably dig 'em and give 'em an HM at least (except 1040 Blues--just can't get next to that one for some reason). And Dave has a much smaller pool of songs to draw from for most of these holiday theme sets (Halloween, MLK, Labor Day etc.), Xmas being the one exception.

Mike must be either feelin' quite poorly or is out doing something fun--nary a peep from him since yesterday am--hope it's the latter, afraid it might be the former.
Let's get right to it.